Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Vana Belle, Koh Samui, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Vana Belle, Koh Samui, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 9:41 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I had read about others upgrading from a standard room on points to a better room, using cash. The hotel provided these options (note: these are in addition to the base points redemption):

The reservation can be to upgraded from the beginning room category to higher room category as per below rate structure:
-Classic Pool Suite to Deluxe pool Suite is THB2,374.- net .or 5,625 points per room per night.

- Classic Pool Suite to Grand Pool Suite is THB4,748.- net .or 11,250 points per room per night.

-Classic Pool Suite to Tropical Pool Villa is THB9,496.- net .or 11,250 points per room per night.

-Classic Pool Suite to Ocean View Suite is THB11,870.- net or 27,375 points per room per night.
These seem excessive relative to the rate differential for fully cash stays. Has anyone had different upgrade rates presented, or success in negotiating down from these?
Old May 27, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I had the same upgrade presented from Classic Pool to Grand Pool Suite (THB 4,748) and we decided to take the upgrade after seeing the difference in the rooms (IMO worth the difference for the larger pool, more privacy and spectacular views). I tried to negotiate but they weren't willing to at all.

I have heard the Le Meridien down the road does negotiate upgrades but was very disappointed in the property when we stayed a night on the way out (in particular the beach at the Meridien). I would recommend the Vana over the Meridien any day...
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:46 am

For those who have had a later flight back in the late afternoon / evening (check out is at noon), what did you do / what were you able to do? Hang out by the pool, move to a day room, forced to leave, something else? Trying to figure out if it's worth booking a later flight back to BKK to enjoy some more island time, and also not land in the heart of the Bangkok rush hour on our way to the SGS.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:56 pm

We spent 5 nights at the Vana Belle while celebrating our 10th anniversary.

As a SPG Platinum, I had tried to use Suite Night awards to upgrade from a traditional suite to a Grand Suite, but for some reason they didn't clear, even with availability. Fortunately, when I alerted my SPG Ambassador he was able to get the upgrade even though the automated system didn't work.

Our room was on the third floor of building 2, room 224. We had a nice view of the ocean, but be aware that there are a couple of tall buildings (part of the lobby complex) that block part of the view off towards the left. One morning we were awake early so tried to catch the sunrise, but found it blocked behind those buildings.

Building 2 was a good location for everything else, though. Directly across from the spa/gym, and a few minutes walk to lobby. I don't think we ever heard outside traffic from the ring road while in our room or on the deck, and I took advantage of our plunge pool several times a day. The room was very comfortable, and wifi was AMAZING throughout the resort, we never had a problem. Our one wish for the room was that it had more storage areas for clothes. There was a tiny closet near the front door, and minimal hooks to hang anything in the very large bathroom.

We had breakfast daily, and quite enjoyed it. Nice buffet (most things were the same each day), and the option of ordering off the a la carte menu. It sounds sacrilegious, but both the crab omelet and fois gras scrambled eggs were no more than the sum of its parts, but the thai eggs benedict (had it twice) and the french toast with coconut ice cream (had to try it) were very tasty. The sun hits the outside deck right at breakfast time, so we saw several people start their breakfast outside and then move inside when the glare got to be too much.

We had a couple's massage at the Spa; it was the first Thai massage for both of us, and we really enjoyed it. Good environment, good masseuse's. There didn't seem to be a spa environment to hang out in before/after the treatment as I've seen elsewhere, but since we were 100 feet from our room we were ok with that.

I did try the gym one morning, and there was only one other person there; that might have been the only person I saw in the gym the entire trip, despite our many walks by the windows on our way to other places. Good equipment, good temperature, fruited water was available.

We tried the pool a several days, and had mixed experiences. Some days we were met and our chairs were set up, another day I had to find my own towels. Umbrella's were raised if they were down, but they were never adjusted to account for the sun. Smoking is allowed, so we had to move once when a couple near us lit up. We took chairs near the pool, not the ocean, as there was a steady stream of beach vendors walking by. The one day we wanted drinks and food, I had to go up to the bar to ask, as there wasn't a server walking around (turns out they use a wireless button system, but no one had ever given us a button on any of our visits). Overall, our pool/beach experience paled with other beach visits to resorts of a similar nature (particularly the St. Regis in Puta Mita, Mexico, which we were frequently comparing the resort to).

We had dinner at the Italian restaurant one night. It was good, but dead; we were the only people there.

Overall, I was happy with the stay. I was using points, and debated between the Vana Belle and the W, and the W was much more remote. The Vana Belle was in a convenient location and overall luxurious, although not quite the over-the-top experience we were hoping for.

Not my finest work, but here are a few photos:

[/url][/url][/url][/url]
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Nice review wizzy.
In the end you use SNA for upgrade?
and what is the upgrade policy for plat at this property? previously the not upgrade IME.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:58 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Thanks for the review. I look forward to getting back to this property.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by nongsom
Nice review wizzy.
In the end you use SNA for upgrade?
and what is the upgrade policy for plat at this property? previously the not upgrade IME.
No, they never took the SNA's, maybe because the automated system was broken and wasn't upgrading even though space was available. Shhhhh!

This is what the hotel told me about upgrading from the base room. I think I read above that they will upgrade from the traditional to the deluxe (same size as traditional, higher floor, but smaller than the Grand) based on availability. Grand is only available via SNA.
First of all, may I have more information if you would prefer to have sea view or bigger room? If you may prefer sea view I could inform that our Grand Pool Suite would offer a very much better sea view comparing to Ocean View Pool Suite but in Ocean View Pool Suite will have a bigger size in a lower area but both room types are not located on the beach. This Ocean View Pool Suite will also offer butler services including daily afternoon tea and evening cocktail during stay as well.

And here are choices that you could advise us for further action to confirm the room type;
1. Classic Pool Suite to Ocean View Pool Suite, by paying with cash or credit card at THB 11,870net per room per night.

2. Classic Pool Suite to Ocean View Pool Suite, by using your Starpoint at 27,375 starpoints per room per night.

3. Classic Pool Suite to Grand Pool Suite, by contacting SPG team to check your Suite Night Award if it is still available for your number of night (5 nights: 06th – 11th October 2015) for this stay. If it will become available you may request to use this award for the stay. Please kindly note that the award could be confirmed per room availability 5 days prior to your arrival.

4. Paying for the room from Classic Pool Suite to Grand Pool Suite at THB4,748.- net or 11,250 starpoints per room per night to ensure that you could get the room for this stay.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
it seems that the property is no longer taking SNAs- at least according to SPG customer care. anyone else experienced this?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
--- deleted ---

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Feb 13, 2016 at 1:58 pm Reason: no source of information
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:28 pm

Angry

anybody have experience in this hotel as spg gold ?

I have booked a standard suite with point, and upgrade to the best tier of their Ocean view pool sute with points as well at additional whopping 26k.

From what I see with their prepaid , flexible either rate will get you breakfst, I understand I have booked with points but figured it ought be same as flexible rate so I emailed assistant manager and was told rate and elite status will not cover my breakfast....

I understand gold will probably not get me anything but even at hefty points suite upgrade ? I know it's not a big deal for breakfast..but talking about their elite member pay with their tremendous currency ..feel like I under welcomed than their regular non spg pay guests....
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Furyleader
anybody have experience in this hotel as spg gold ?

I have booked a standard suite with point, and upgrade to the best tier of their Ocean view pool sute with points as well at additional whopping 26k.

From what I see with their prepaid , flexible either rate will get you breakfst, I understand I have booked with points but figured it ought be same as flexible rate so I emailed assistant manager and was told rate and elite status will not cover my breakfast....

I understand gold will probably not get me anything but even at hefty points suite upgrade ? I know it's not a big deal for breakfast..but talking about their elite member pay with their tremendous currency ..feel like I under welcomed than their regular non spg pay guests....
sorry I can't help you much with this, but I will be staying there 4-7th March as a platinum and can find out for you.

and if anyone's been to this property lately, any updates or things I should know? any particularly attractive villas?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 8:48 am

Any news ?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Have any Platinum members booked here under FHR?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: AA ExecP
Edit: Can anyone speak to the views from the Tropical Pool Villa versus that of the Ocean View Suite? How about the privacy at the Villa? We are pickled between the two options for our honeymoon.

Thank you.

Last edited by flying_q; Jun 19, 2016 at 4:02 pm
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Who do you email to get the upgrade options? Is there an email address that anyone can share?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.