Search
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Email contact at hotel: [email protected]
Official Grand Opening
November 1st, 2019

Room types
Overwater Pool Villa (10 sunrise, 9 sunset)
- Maximum occupancy 3 guests (2 adults and one child or 3 adults)
- 2519 sqft
Beach Pool Villa (13 sunrise, 3 sunset)
- 2669 sqft

Duplex Overwater Pool Villa (12 villas)
- 2949 sqft

Duplex Beach Pool Villa (13 villas)
- Maximum occupancy 5 guests (2 adults and 3 children or 5 adults)
- 3068 sqft

Royal Pool Villa (1 villa)

Offseason upgrades (as of September 2019)
From Overwater Pool Villa Sunrise to Sunset is additional, USD 182++ per night.
From Overwater Pool Villa Sunrise to Duplex Overwater Pool Villa is USD 546++ per night.
February 2020 upgrade price from Beach or OVW Sunrise to OVW Sunset USD 136++ per night.

Transportation

Seaplane - $600 per adult r/t
- JW Maldives has a seaplane lounge and will provide transportation to and from the MLE airport or hotel on Male.

Domestic flight w/ speedboat - $600 per adult r/t
- You can mix domestic flight one-way and seaplane one-way
- Domestic flight is currently to Ifuru Domestic Airport (70 min) and then a speedboat (50 min)
- Funadhoo Domestic Airport may be open by the end of 2019 cutting down the length of speedboat trip
- Domestic flight is the best option for those arriving after 3pm to MLE

Restaurants
Menus as of mid-October: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VarY3T33N_xWEdangWGkH6JztUU8sA8Y

Aailaa – breakfast/lunch/dinner, 96 seats all-day dining restaurant
Fiamma – Lunch, Italian pizza 20 seats
Kaashi – Lunch, Treetop Thai restaurant 30 seats
Hashi – Dinner, Japanese 24 seats (reservations required)
Shio – Dinner, Modern grill 24 seats (reservations required)
Riha – Dinner, Indian/Curry Pit 24 seats, “under the stars” (reservations required)
In-Villa Dining - breakfast/lunch/dinner
Fork & Drink - lunch/dinner, destination dining, they set up a table anywhere on the island?

Activities

Lounge 18 – club house for “adults” w/ cigar room, billiards table, karaoke, board games, etc..
Pool 18 – 18 years+ pool
Horizon Pool
Little Griffins (Kids club/pool)
Open Air Cinema – nightly movie
Photo studio
Print Wikipost

JW Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 7:19 am

using egc

anyone know if the flights are put on the folio and can be paid by an egc at checkout?
I got an email that said that the flights have to be prepaid and no gc can be used
Old Jan 10, 2021, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by libuser
anyone know if the flights are put on the folio and can be paid by an egc at checkout?
I got an email that said that the flights have to be prepaid and no gc can be used
Just wrapped up my stay here. I was able to charge absolutely everything to a GC. It was an amazing experience and they definitely exceeded expectations. Amazon welcome gifts, a full size cake on delivery that could feed 10, easily lasted us the entire week. I don't remember the wine but it was $80 bottle when I checked, it was an Australian wine.
90% Russians, 10% other nationalities, and the mandatory american couple that yelled so loud that the entire resort heard their dinner order(thankfully it was just one couple). All in all excellent spot to spend a few nights. Also if it's worth anything I booked sunrise over and got upgraded to sunset because of plat status. So there's that.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by libuser
Just wrapped up my stay here. I was able to charge absolutely everything to a GC. It was an amazing experience and they definitely exceeded expectations. Amazon welcome gifts, a full size cake on delivery that could feed 10, easily lasted us the entire week. I don't remember the wine but it was $80 bottle when I checked, it was an Australian wine.
90% Russians, 10% other nationalities, and the mandatory american couple that yelled so loud that the entire resort heard their dinner order(thankfully it was just one couple). All in all excellent spot to spend a few nights. Also if it's worth anything I booked sunrise over and got upgraded to sunset because of plat status. So there's that.
Glad you had a great time! Did you try the pizza and Thai restaurant? They were both really good in February last year. Did you fly from the US? We're curious how the flights are for long haul to the Maldives from the US. We're in SF so not sure we can make it all the way not eating or drinking. We'd love to head back to the Maldives but the flight duration is what concerns us. Does the resort have rules regarding covid so they aren't able to have the buffet breakfast now?

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:22 am

Hey yes I flew Etihad Jfk-auh-mle. Their f lounge is closed in jfk and auh so I just booked in biz. Their biz lounge at euh is superb with cook to order meals and are of very high quality.
Sadly the pizza was very mediocre(think Pizza hut quality pizza but made with high quality ingredients) and so was the Thai(the lemongrass in my Thai curry was raw, the dish was practically inedible). I had inquired and the Italian and Japanese/Thai chefs have not returned since they reopened and they are now having local chefs.
You can also see that in the breakfast as well, the yogurt is the absolute worst that I have ever had and so we're the pastries. On the flip side their chefs are indian and their parathas, rotis and anything else Asian is absolutely amazing, their Japanese noodles and dumplings were also of very very high quality and super tasty. Easily the best parathas I have ever had in my life same with Maldivian and Indian curries. The Thai curry that I had the one night was pretty bad. The sushi was also mediocre and so was the steak but then again they more than made up for it in other areas(all fish dishes were Indian and Maldivian influenced)

As for breakfast its a large buffet, you just point to what you want and they put it on your plate. It was my first time so I dont know if they had more or less before COVID. But imo it was a very good spread and it rotated daily, I would easily say that it was a Ritz breakfast

Last edited by libuser; Jan 11, 2021 at 8:16 pm
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
Does anyone by chance have a copy of the JW "water sports" menu/price list? Looking specifically at the scuba diving prices.

I'm going to be spending 26 nights in the Maldives this summer with a 8 and 10 year old. I'm committed to a minimum of 11 days @ the Westin (family friends are joining us there) but otherwise free to hop to another property for the remainder. The JW looks attractive from a kids activities perspective. The nightly movie which I assume will be PG type, the kids pool, kids club, etc all factor in. Do I stretch the Westin stay to 16 nights (leaving 10 nights elsewhere)?

We stayed at the W for 2+ weeks in 2019 and I have been to every dive site in the area multiple times so not keen to return there. The new Ritz Carlton is out since Ritz does nothing for elites and Male atoll in general is not that attractive for diving. Also, who knows if they'll even open this summer.

Choice comes down to St. Regis or JW Marriott? 10 or 15 nights. I can also stay at the Conrad on points for 10 nights which I hear is very family friendly. Will both properties keep a 8 and 10 year old engaged/entertained? Who has the better scuba experience and dive sites? I'm also a Marriott Ambassador and always a sucker for freebies, discounts, and upgrades .
Old Jan 17, 2021, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
Does anyone by chance have a copy of the JW "water sports" menu/price list? Looking specifically at the scuba diving prices.

I'm going to be spending 26 nights in the Maldives this summer with a 8 and 10 year old. I'm committed to a minimum of 11 days @ the Westin (family friends are joining us there) but otherwise free to hop to another property for the remainder. The JW looks attractive from a kids activities perspective. The nightly movie which I assume will be PG type, the kids pool, kids club, etc all factor in. Do I stretch the Westin stay to 16 nights (leaving 10 nights elsewhere)?

We stayed at the W for 2+ weeks in 2019 and I have been to every dive site in the area multiple times so not keen to return there. The new Ritz Carlton is out since Ritz does nothing for elites and Male atoll in general is not that attractive for diving. Also, who knows if they'll even open this summer.

Choice comes down to St. Regis or JW Marriott? 10 or 15 nights. I can also stay at the Conrad on points for 10 nights which I hear is very family friendly. Will both properties keep a 8 and 10 year old engaged/entertained? Who has the better scuba experience and dive sites? I'm also a Marriott Ambassador and always a sucker for freebies, discounts, and upgrades .

I can only talk about JW since I was just there a week ago. Their kids area is spectacular(huge castle and a big area for kids where they will be busy for a while). However since I spent the next week at the Conrad I would much suggest going to the Conrad if you want your little ones to have fun. The Conrad is much larger(2 huge islands) and there will be a million more diving spots for you to go to. The JW island is very small compared to the Conrad. Your kids will get bored quickly(if they want to venture out and snorkel). You can pretty much snorkel it 2 days). The snorkeling at the Conrad is like 5x better than the JW. I saw huge manta rays, turtles, sharks, etc. that I did not see at the JW. Also JW is very snobbish, when I was there it was 90% russians and you could tell that they were all russian oligarchs families. If you like that crowd you will be right at home. The Conrad felt much more family friendly.
As for diving prices at the JW the prices were in line with nearby resorts($500 for 1hr fishing, $200 for 2 hrs snorkeling trip, etc). Food at the JW was also very obscene(cheapest was $65 burgers, $65 pizzas, etc.), more expensive than the Conrad, it was on par with St Regis or WA. And as I mentioned in my previous review if you plan to have western fare at the JW you will be let down, but if you like Indian/Sri Lankan/Asian/Seafood food you will be in paradise(Food is extremely good). If you are after the steaks/japanese/Italian/European you will be dissapointed. I hope that helps
Also re: bennies as I outlined in my previous review at the JW I got a one category upgrade and a nice bubbly and an amazing cake as the plat gift(huge full size cake that we nibbled for the entire week). They also give you daily deserts when they come in the afternoon to clean etc(one day was full sized panettone, the next day was a full sized Lindt Christmas Santa, the next day was a huge array of local sweets). No other benefits were given(besides the 30% off plat F&B discount). So dont expect an afternoon happy hour with free canapes/drinks. Conrad had a daily HH with canapes and alcohol which saved us a ton).

Last edited by libuser; Jan 17, 2021 at 5:26 am
Old Jan 20, 2021, 11:35 am

How did you go from Conrad to/from JW/ST Regis? how much will it be for the transfer? Is the dining discount only for non- St. Regis?

I wonder if it's worthwhile to stay at JW/SR and then to Conrad?

Originally Posted by Mr Bios
Both are nice properties, STR is well established and JW is new so has a few minor issues.

The rooms and restaurants are nice in both properties and staff are always willing to help.

I would rate STR slightly higher.

We did both Beach and OWV in both properties.

The water was abit rough at OWV @ JW, mainly due to the weather during the period we stayed, someone before mentioned they enjoyed the OWV so assume the weather has improved.

if you havent been to Maldives before i would say go to STR.

If going to JW stay on the sunset side, especially the beach villa's , its more peaceful

I have posted video/pic in Marriott group's on Facebook

I dont do instagram :P, but i will post some video's and pic they once i get a chance.

if you want video of rooms etc mesg me

Food pricing at JW, some have said they look costly, honestly we spent more $$ on food at STR than we did at JW, the Plat discount helps at JW. Also we dont drink alcohol so that might be the reason

also anyone with on a Veg diet, STR are Veg Menu/Dish in all restaurants and at JW just ask to speak to the Chef in advance or talk to the Butler (menu do have Veg items but limited). We spoke to the Resort Manager and he got a Veg menu done for my wife overnight which was impressive and made my life easier...
Old Mar 24, 2021, 1:25 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Planning a few nights here - as a lowly Gold, what can I expect if I book an OWV? Likely, the booking will be with points, however, it maybe a paid stay depending on the rates. Also, we are planning this trip with our parents - so, 4 adults. Has anyone checked-in with 4 adults in an OWV - is it allowed, and if yes, do they charge additional for extra guests (on paid stay or redemption stay)? Also, anyone who has stayed in an OWV @ JW - will it be too cozy with 4 adults and should I go for something bigger?

We are also planning to resort hop - has anyone done that from JW, and if so, can you please share some details (cost / whom to contact in advance with the request, etc.)?
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Planning a few nights here - as a lowly Gold, what can I expect if I book an OWV? Likely, the booking will be with points, however, it maybe a paid stay depending on the rates. Also, we are planning this trip with our parents - so, 4 adults. Has anyone checked-in with 4 adults in an OWV - is it allowed, and if yes, do they charge additional for extra guests (on paid stay or redemption stay)? Also, anyone who has stayed in an OWV @ JW - will it be too cozy with 4 adults and should I go for something bigger?

We are also planning to resort hop - has anyone done that from JW, and if so, can you please share some details (cost / whom to contact in advance with the request, etc.)?
I haven't been to JW but have been to STR which has quite large OWVs and I personally wouldn't stay in one with 4 adults (and anyway theirs has max occupancy of 3 while JW has 4). Yes, its very spacious but for me that's the whole point of this type of vacation (vs others where my hotel room is just a base for sleeping and majority of the day is spent out and about). But it really depends on your personal preference with regard to how you would feel about sharing the space between 4 adults as well as how particular you are about privacy.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by bobcat745
How did you go from Conrad to/from JW/ST Regis? how much will it be for the transfer? Is the dining discount only for non- St. Regis?

I wonder if it's worthwhile to stay at JW/SR and then to Conrad?
St Regis and Conrad are at south side of Male where JW is at the opposite direction. Normally for transfers you need to take 2 separate return seaplane journeys via Male, but between Conrad and St Regis you could use speedboat/yacht transfer or seaplane flight division. No other options between Conrad and JW due to long distance.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Still
St Regis and Conrad are at south side of Male where JW is at the opposite direction. Normally for transfers you need to take 2 separate return seaplane journeys via Male, but between Conrad and St Regis you could use speedboat/yacht transfer or seaplane flight division. No other options between Conrad and JW due to long distance.
Time/cost for the yacht transfer?
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Time/cost for the yacht transfer?
they were mentioned in both St Regis and Conrad threads
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott, united
Stay at JW or at Pullman All-inclusive?

Hello - We are planning a trip for our honeymoon in July. After considering all expenses, points, etc. we have determined that we can either stay at the JW (or W or Westin), or we also like the Pullman All-inclusive resort - for a 10 night stay.

The price difference: Roughly $3,000 less to stay at the JW than the Pullman (the pullman also comes with a few complimentary excursions and massages in the package)
Essentially, this would give us $300 per day to spend on food, alcohol, and activities at the JW before catching up to the Pullman price. (I am a Plat member so free breakfast)

Has anyone been to both and able to comment?
Is it safe to assume that if we spent the exact same amount at both resorts that the JW food/drinks quality would be better as it is not all-inclusive?
At that point is the JW a better value?

Obviously we may end up spending more at the JW and that's ok if the resort, food, drinks, etc is that much better being a Marriott and that I'm a plat member.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / help!
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:47 am

I haven't been to both but I have been to JW. It would be a very small place to spend 10 days, IMO. I also wasn't blown away by the food at JW, other than the Thai restaurant which was excellent.
Old May 24, 2021, 1:15 pm

November Trip Planned

Hi
Can someone confirm what is required to get the 30% discount on food at the resort. My husband is lifetime platinum. Do we need a special credit card or something else.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.