FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   JW Maldives [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1096858-jw-maldives-master-thread.html)

yoyotogblo Aug 5, 2019 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by fdem (Post 31380297)

i would notgo to the maldives outside peak season as weather can be bad. Matters more in the Maldives as if the weather is bad there is nothing to do. The only decent house reef is at the W ( haven’t stayed at any other Bonvoy resorts but as they were built later most of the decent islands have been snapped up) would recommend so Soneva fushi which is one of the original properties or the Taj. I cannot understand why prices are still so high for rainy season. I think to encourage me to visit during our summer you would have to pay me. You may be lucky with the weather as some have reported but at those still high prices I would be hesitant to visit then

Fair enough. I guess if offpeak pricing is really good, then maybe it'd be attractive then but if it's the same price, better to plan for good weather season.

bl393 Aug 5, 2019 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by spellbound2 (Post 31383021)
We have done transfers a few times and each time it was a bit long since we were going to different atolls and took seaplanes, but it looks like you may have 2 resorts in the same atoll and you may have a boat transfer option. Check with each property and I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

thanks! Even though i have confirmed room, JW is slow to respond. Im not certain they have all the details worked out either. Will chk with Cheval and see what the damage will be.

Astrophsx Aug 6, 2019 11:49 am

Originally Posted by bl393 (Post 31383576)

thanks! Even though i have confirmed room, JW is slow to respond. Im not certain they have all the details worked out either. Will chk with Cheval and see what the damage will be.

Most of my correspondence has been pushed through the reservations manager at the JW. They seem flexible on transportation. For example, for the same price you can either take the direct seaplane flight or you can take a domestic flight to Ifuru and then their speedboat to the resort if your schedule doesn't allow for the seaplane.

Though I am guessing the speedboat trip would benefit the resort if they need to pick up supplies, whereas if they have to take you to another island (even if it were equal travel distance) maybe they'd charge more?

tylerc Aug 6, 2019 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx (Post 31379600)
60 days has been the policy since they started taking reservations unless something changed, I booked within the first week they opened up reservations.

60 days was not the policy the first few days that booking was available...I have 2 bookings that are both 2 days before arrival for cancellation

davidrwu Aug 7, 2019 12:14 pm

I might have missed it. But do they have a lounge for waiting for the seaplane?

I am deciding between my W booking and the JW. I booked the W before the devaluation, at 240k for the beach villa. The JW would be 340k but guaranteed OVW. It is a hard decision, got to wait for more photos/reports on JW. I will be at one of these at the end of November.

Astrophsx Aug 7, 2019 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by davidrwu (Post 31390554)
I might have missed it. But do they have a lounge for waiting for the seaplane?

I am deciding between my W booking and the JW. I booked the W before the devaluation, at 240k for the beach villa. The JW would be 340k but guaranteed OVW. It is a hard decision, got to wait for more photos/reports on JW. I will be at one of these at the end of November.

Their reservations manager stated they will send "welcome ambassadors" to the Velana International Airport and direct you to the dedicated JW Marriott seaplane lounge.

davidrwu Aug 14, 2019 10:58 am

Anyone going in the opening months?

Astrophsx Aug 15, 2019 9:05 am

Originally Posted by tylerc (Post 31387547)
60 days was not the policy the first few days that booking was available...I have 2 bookings that are both 2 days before arrival for cancellation

What's interesting is on my e-reservation it states 60 days, but when I click the cancellation policy link below it states 15 days.

I'm curious to see what happens with this new peak and off-peak pricing as it kicks in September 14th. TPG is suggesting that if you did a points advance stay and the days you are staying eventually falls into off-peak you'll pay the off-peak price. If your days fall under peak pricing you may have to call in to have them honored at the standard rate.

For some reason the JW Maldives is honoring reservations made for stays between September 15 and October 31st, but not allowing new reservations to be made. So I'm not sure how that will impact the peak/off-peak pricing for September/October.

friedablass Aug 15, 2019 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by tylerc (Post 31387547)

I made a booking today and it's 31 days before arrival for the cancellation. So it seems like it varies.

I'm hoping I made the right choice booking here, because I wanted a guaranteed OWV and I really really wanted to stay at the St Regis but it's 890k points there for OVW as opposed to 340k here.

friedablass Aug 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by MME2YYZ (Post 31327047)
I have the JW and the W booked on points (JW OWV and W BV) for next May, I will decide which to cancel once reviews for the JW are available. The ST R did not appeal to me

Just curious, why did STR not appeal to you?

MME2YYZ Aug 15, 2019 5:28 pm

There have been spotty reviews and I wanted good snorkeling the reef at the St R doesn’t sound as good

Astrophsx Aug 15, 2019 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by MME2YYZ (Post 31420975)
There have been spotty reviews and I wanted good snorkeling the reef at the St R doesn’t sound as good

You can check out https://www.instagram.com/muhthy/ for photos and videos of the reef and marine life around the JW. The ones that are tagged JW Marriott Maldives & Vagaru.

tylerc Aug 20, 2019 5:26 am

Originally Posted by MME2YYZ (Post 31420975)

Ah, I can't really comment on the snorkelling but otherwise STR was great both times, albeit seemed a bit better the first time. The breakfast at STR is fantastic, though I'm sure JW will be as well.

Saidoh Aug 21, 2019 8:55 am

This no longer appears to be open for points booking. Maybe they're holding out until after 9/14.

friedablass Aug 21, 2019 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Saidoh (Post 31439882)
This no longer appears to be open for points booking. Maybe they're holding out until after 9/14.

Yes, it sure is. Not sure what dates you are looking at, but I was able to book 5 nights just a few minutes ago.