FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   JW Maldives [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1096858-jw-maldives-master-thread.html)

friedablass Sep 8, 2019 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx (Post 31504194)
We arrive at ~8pm and decided on staying the night at MLE and taking the first flight the next day, which may depart before 8am, so that we could get a full 5+ days in. If you budget allows for it I would pay for the upgrade.

If I'd arrive that late I would have overnighted in Male too but I feel like 3:30 is still early enough to make it to the resort. Besides my schedule does not allow for more than 5 nights so if I stay in Male that would mean only 4 at the resort which would be a shame... Which hotel in Male are you staying at in case things change until our trip and/or we have to overnight in Male?

Hotel said seaplane transfers begin at 7 a.m. so you would get there bright and early.

The upgrade fee they are asking for is very reasonable IMO so I would do it for 3 nights.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx (Post 31504194)
You might want to ask which side of the island the sunrise beach villas are on. Looks like there are three sunset beach villas, 13 sunrise villas, and 13 duplex beach villas. One side has a few jetties and sea barriers.

I'd check out the resort website as it looks like they've added real photos (highly photoshopped). Beach villas look nice with a good amount of privacy and a little bit of ocean view:

Thanks for pointing out they have new real photos on the site. I'm actually getting really excited even though I keep telling myself how photo shopped they are! The Beach Villa does look really private especially when you see it from the birds eye view so I'm looking forward to trying that Villa first and then moving to an OVW either by switching to Sunrise at no charge or by paid or complimentary upgrade to Sunset.

Thanks again for your insight and comments.

Astrophsx Sep 8, 2019 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 31505097)
If I'd arrive that late I would have overnighted in Male too but I feel like 3:30 is still early enough to make it to the resort. Besides my schedule does not allow for more than 5 nights so if I stay in Male that would mean only 4 at the resort which would be a shame... Which hotel in Male are you staying at in case things change until our trip and/or we have to overnight in Male?

Hotel said seaplane transfers begin at 7 a.m. so you would get there bright and early.

Hotel Ocean Grand at Hulhumale

Flying for Fun Sep 8, 2019 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dn10 (Post 31504725)

which property? Peak season or off peak? Did the hotel contact you about the upgrade or did you reach out and request one specifically?

Wow, quite the barrage of questions. ;) St. Regis Bora Bora, shoulder season.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4b74157f3c.jpg

March 2-4, end of the wet season but the stay here and the 8 day French Polynesian cruise prior never saw a drop of rain, booked a Reefside Villa, upgraded in app to OWV with Mt. Otemanu view sometime in December, no contact other than advising flight details, no request for an upgrade.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0f4d02f307.jpg
Billecart Salmon Brut & Macaroons.

James

Flying for Fun Sep 8, 2019 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 31505079)
So cool that you were upgraded so far in advance :cool:. Not sure why that would be an issue. Looking forward to perhaps making Titanium one day and getting this benefit.

From other Titanium accounts on FlyerTalk my experience and upgrades with Bonvoy seem to be atypical, just like some Ambassador Elite experiences & upgrades are atypical within that group.

I don't like my loyalty to be judged on how much I spend so Titanium Elite is the sweet spot for me. I have never been a fan of "Social Elite Groups" who believe they are above other people based on their means. For me, it isn't that I don't have the means, it is just I don't want to be part of a group I have no interest in associating with.

Now back to the Maldives! :)

James

Dn10 Sep 8, 2019 11:07 pm

Recent pictures on Instagram are looking pretty nice

DonnyJohn Sep 9, 2019 6:41 am

Pre-upgrade to OWV at W 2 months before stay without asking was the most amazing thing as Titanium. That was over Christmas and New Year with points booking.

Dn10 Sep 9, 2019 7:39 am

Originally Posted by DonnyJohn (Post 31506170)
Pre-upgrade to OWV at W 2 months before stay without asking was the most amazing thing as Titanium. That was over Christmas and New Year with points booking.

How long ago was that?

friedablass Sep 9, 2019 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx (Post 31505210)
Hotel Ocean Grand at Hulhumale

Thanks

friedablass Sep 9, 2019 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Dn10 (Post 31505415)
Recent pictures on Instagram are looking pretty nice

Can you post a link please?I can't find the one I previously saw in this thread and when I Google it I get a page with no images. Thanks.

Astrophsx Sep 9, 2019 10:08 am

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 31506791)
Can you post a link please?I can't find the one I previously saw in this thread and when I Google it I get a page with no images. Thanks.

If you go on the app and search under "places" and put in the JW Marriott you should be able to skim through under "recent". Several of the employees have posted images and videos, though most are missing. I assume they are getting trained and have been told not to tag their photos with the resort.

Astrophsx Sep 9, 2019 10:18 am

Just a quick update on the compensation offered for canceling my reservation due to the push back of the grand opening (November 1st now?). My original reservation was for the first week of October. The JW was able to transfer my reservation over to the St. Regis and they were able to keep me in an OWV for the same price per night (340k for 5 nights) and a reduced transportation fee so that it is no more than what I would have paid for the JW ($600 vs $695 per person).

bhrubin Sep 9, 2019 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx (Post 31506976)
Just a quick update on the compensation offered for canceling my reservation due to the push back of the grand opening (November 1st now?). My original reservation was for the first week of October. The JW was able to transfer my reservation over to the St. Regis and they were able to keep me in an OWV for the same price per night (340k for 5 nights) and a reduced transportation fee so that it is no more than what I would have paid for the JW ($600 vs $695 per person).

Nicely done. I think you'll love the StR.

friedablass Sep 9, 2019 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx (Post 31506976)

That's great! Enjoy your stay and trip :).

Although I have to say I'm a bit disappointed because I will have to wait even longer to get a review/feedback on this property ;).

Flying for Fun Sep 9, 2019 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dn10 (Post 31506351)
How long ago was that?

You seem awfully interested in upgrade experiences of Titanium Elites. Do you also conjecture that Titaniums don't get pre-upgraded to suites, especially on redemptions? You wouldn't be alone in believing that is for Ambassador Elites only but you too would also be incorrect. Does it bother you that Titaniums also receive this benefit?

James

Dn10 Sep 10, 2019 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31508943)
You seem awfully interested in upgrade experiences of Titanium Elites. Do you also conjecture that Titaniums don't get pre-upgraded to suites, especially on redemptions? You wouldn't be alone in believing that is for Ambassador Elites only but you too would also be incorrect. Does it bother you that Titaniums also receive this benefit?

James

Do you want to relax? Just curious if it was post merger or after. And throwing out anecdotal data points without all the facts just confuses people.

Back on topic to the Maldives...