Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Bandung Hotel & Towers, Indonesia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Bandung Hotel & Towers, Indonesia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
As for getting there, take the train!! As well as convenience, it is much safer than
driving. I have done both many times ( as well as flying when Merpati ran that
route), but the train is best.
Its less than 2 hrs on the new highway; fewer passengers are now using the trains, most services have been terminated except for the Argo Gade.

Never stayed at the Hyatt but always flown past it during approach to BDO and it looks really run down, best hotel in town is the new Hilton but I prefer Sheraton's open air resort concept.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mario33
Golden Bird is part of the Blue Bird group which is the most reputable taxi company in Indonesia, and many hotels use them. Avanza is a rather small vehicle, a 1.3 litre mini-mpv which may be ok for short rides but not long distance.

Just as a guide on cost of things over there; the train fare from Jakarta on executive class is 55,000 per person, the shared shuttle vans go for anything between 100,000 to 170,000 per person depending on type of service and vehicle (the most comfortable being the VIP service using Toyota Alphard with seats similar to aircraft biz class)

If you are departing from central Jakarta and have an extra hour to spare, the train (only the Argo Gade executive class is left running now) can be quite interesting.
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Its been a few years since I used to visit Bandung regularly, but the first few years
( 1980's) I stayed at the Sheraton. Pleasant enough, but too far away from downtown.
When the Hyatt opened, I switched, and was very happy with them. If they are
still around, I'd highly recommend.

As for getting there, take the train!! As well as convenience, it is much safer than
driving. I have done both many times ( as well as flying when Merpati ran that
route), but the train is best.
thanks for the info guys but i'm not looking at a shared shuttle or a train....my wife likes to stop & take pictures everywhere we go so the only way she can do this is if we had our own car....
Old May 19, 2010, 11:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by saad
thanks for the info guys but i'm not looking at a shared shuttle or a train....my wife likes to stop & take pictures everywhere we go so the only way she can do this is if we had our own car....
I am not suggesting that you go for the shared shuttle, only to give you a comparison to decide whether the costs quoted by the hotel is reasonable.

And if your wife "likes to stop & take pictures", you wont be able to do that (without breaking the law) since almost the entire journey are on highways, unless she also likes to take pictures of highway rest areas toilets. The scenery from the trains are better than from the highway, get the camera out when you are 2 hr out of Jakarta .....
Old May 20, 2010, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I am not suggesting that you go for the shared shuttle, only to give you a comparison to decide whether the costs quoted by the hotel is reasonable.

And if your wife "likes to stop & take pictures", you wont be able to do that (without breaking the law) since almost the entire journey are on highways, unless she also likes to take pictures of highway rest areas toilets. The scenery from the trains are better than from the highway, get the camera out when you are 2 hr out of Jakarta .....
i was aware of the shuttle & train expenses....i looked them up before i posted online....i was just wondering if the quote i got for the car from the hotel was reasonable....

she likes to take pictures of almost everything & they sell like crazy at her shows....even if we don't stop, we can always ask the driver to slow down for her to take the pictures....

i have heard from other people as well that the scenery from the trains is much better....maybe i can suggest this to her....
Old May 20, 2010, 5:01 am
Suspended

i was aware of the shuttle & train expenses....i looked them up before i posted online....i was just wondering if the quote i got for the car from the hotel was reasonable....
If you have actually looked up on the shuttle costs, the same companies usually also provide private transfers on request, but not many travellers use this service. My guess is that you can probably get a private car for 200-300 thousand rupiah cheaper if you arranged it yourself, so you decide what is "reasonable"

Last edited by mario33; May 20, 2010 at 5:22 am
Old May 20, 2010, 5:06 am
Suspended

i have heard from other people as well that the scenery from the trains is much better....maybe i can suggest this to her....
I have seen some "professional" photographers on the trains ....
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

have my stay at this property starting tomorrow....i saw on the spg site that i have already been upgraded to a towers room....anyone know what those rooms are like????
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:34 am
Suspended

have my stay at this property starting tomorrow....i saw on the spg site that i have already been upgraded to a towers room....anyone know what those rooms are like????
Full Description :

Room in the "Towers" wing located at the rear of the property. Good sized room with a large workdesk area at the marbled entrance area, a carpeted sitting area with a single and a two seater sofas plus a large coffee table, 37 inch panasonic plasma tv, sweet sleeper bed, a large balcony with table and 2 chairs, full marble bathroom with bathtub and separate shower stall. Decor is more towards "old world" and the bathroom not exactly new, but its comfortable enough.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

finally ended up taking a toyota innova for idr 900,000 from the airport to bandung....took us a little over 3 hours to get here....there were some nice views when we were approaching bandung & the driver slowed down a little bit for my wife to take some pictures....so it was all good....

we were taken to the towers lounge upon arrival & check-in was fairly quick....we got upgraded to a towers room, which is quite nice....its got a seperate sitting area & also a desk area as soon as you enter the room....we are on the first floor so we have access to the garden from our room....breakfast is free in the lounge & so are evening snacks which run from 4pm-7pm....

Last edited by Keyser; Jun 10, 2010 at 7:04 am
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:03 am
Suspended

we were taken to the towers lounge upon arrival & check-in was fairly quick....we got upgraded to a towers room, which is quite nice....its got a seperate sitting area & also a desk area as soon as you enter the room....we are on the first floor so we have access to the garden from our room....breakfast it free in the lounge & so are evening snacks which run from 4pm-7pm....
The towers rooms, while not a full suite, is quite nice and fairly comfortable. Its 30% to 50% larger than the standard rooms, and if you are on the upper floors you also get a large balcony compared to the balcony in the standard room which is only large enough to stand on.

Over at the lounge they also do a simple "afternoon tea" with some light food and drinks (but no alcohol), apart from breakfast and evening cocktails which you have mentioned. I believe you are also entitled to breakfast in the main restaurant.

BTW you should indicate the airport you came from (I presume its CGK), Bandung actually has its own airport BDO which is very near the Hilton (can even see the runway from some of the rooms there)

Last edited by mario33; Jun 10, 2010 at 5:08 am
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BTW you should indicate the airport you came from (I presume its CGK), Bandung actually has its own airport BDO which is very near the Hilton (can even see the runway from some of the rooms there)
landed in cgk & stayed the night at the sheraton bandara hotel....drove here the next morning....

tomorrow we are flying to bali from bdo....the hotel has booked a car for us to the airport for idr 55,000....

Last edited by Keyser; Jun 10, 2010 at 10:21 am Reason: entered wrong amount....
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:52 am
Suspended

tomorrow we are flying to bali from bdo....the hotel has booked a car for us to the airport for idr 550,000....
You might want to check on the cost ....
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You might want to check on the cost ....
my bad....its idr 55,000....still getting used to the currency....
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:03 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
Did you get the wake-up calls three-to-five times a day courtesy of the nearby mosque which faces the towers rooms ?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 3:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by meremale
Did you get the wake-up calls three-to-five times a day courtesy of the nearby mosque which faces the towers rooms ?
There are actually 3 different small mosques behind the hotel, but of late the 4.30am call for prayers is hardly audible in the rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.