Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 12:17 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
yall should go with the cobalt if you do a lot of f+b and grocery purchases. 5 cobalt points per doll hair spent on f+b. 2 cobalt points gets you 1 star point. so that's 2.5 spg for every 1 doll hair. that is 7.5 marriott doll hairs.

but for all other purchases it's no bueno. another opportunity is 2 cobalt points per $1 for transportation, transportation defined as a metro pass, uber, greyhound tickets, airfare, so if you spend a lot on uber and greyhound tickets then spg is sorta redundant.

------------

the spg program will soon cease to exist like starwood inc. did in 2016, so the question is, will they re-label the card? do what chase did and shut it down and give everyone a free (weekend) night? do what mbna did years ago and just transfer your spg card to amex? my card is up for renewal in june and i dunno if this is a good call, particularly as they are eroding signup and referral bonuses big time ($100 for signup and $25 for referral? seriously?)

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
One way of looking at it is that the Canadian Amex was $1 CAD = 1 Starpoint. This is a 22-28% advantage against the US card. Staying at a hotel, everything gets converted to US dollars then $1 USD = 1 Starpoint.

I think this was to be competitive against all other card programs like Amex Rewards, Aeroplan etc...
​​​​​​this sounds like my earlier thought but more economic and quantitative based

Last edited by cur; May 9, 2018 at 12:23 am
Old May 9, 2018, 4:35 am

Is August 1 the changeover or sometimes in August. I have the statement date on the 8th, and therefore like to properly plan my spending to get the 3 points after conversion and not 2.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by yeunganson

One of Colbat card's main attraction is the SPG transfer. Once that gets devalued, I wonder how users are going to respond.
The ONLY attraction for the Cobalt card is the SPG transfer (and then facilitate the awesome transfer to Marriott at 3x the points - or transfer to airline points, if one has no use for hotel points).

All my Cobalt MRs are going over to SPG prior to Aug 1 - and I'll have around 80,000 Tier MRs in the 10 months I will have held the card (40K SPG / 120K Marriott). I have no idea what I am going to do after that...have to wait and see what the transfer ratio will be for the new program (if I can still even transfer!).
Old May 9, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
The ONLY attraction for the Cobalt card is the SPG transfer (and then facilitate the awesome transfer to Marriott at 3x the points - or transfer to airline points, if one has no use for hotel points).

All my Cobalt MRs are going over to SPG prior to Aug 1 - and I'll have around 80,000 Tier MRs in the 10 months I will have held the card (40K SPG / 120K Marriott). I have no idea what I am going to do after that...have to wait and see what the transfer ratio will be for the new program (if I can still even transfer!).
My strategy as well.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Unhappy

Originally Posted by cur
cancel my spg now and look for signup bonuses on a theoretically new amex card? that way i'm not transferred over to this theoretically new card therefore ineligible for signup bonus?
or hang on and hope for a sweet deal like the marriott visa (free remaining of year and free cat 1-5 night)
Not for now. Visa Marriott has been gone for good -- apparently, because of Chase operating costs in Canada. Amex.ca already aligned sign up bonuses with their US counterpart -- up $250 statement credit and meagre $25 credit for a referral. Big drop from signed up 20K of SPG points and 10K for referral .

Just missed it myself...
Old May 13, 2018, 2:58 pm

Hey all - long time lurker, first time poster
Has anyone recently applied for the 20k SPG signup bonus for the SPG Amex intended for previous marriot visa holders (however it is publicly available)
Cant post the link yet but if you google "HURRY – Last Chance to get the Starwood American Express Credit Card!" you'll see it on the Canadian kilometers blog, which sends you to amex official website with the offer still there.

I've never had an SPG Amex before (didn't have the marriot visa either) and i'd like to apply if I would be able to actually get the 20k points. The statement credit isn't worth it, and I already have Amex Cobalt and Biz Plat, so I'd only want this for the 20k SPG.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by pointsbrah
Hey all - long time lurker, first time poster
Has anyone recently applied for the 20k SPG signup bonus for the SPG Amex intended for previous marriot visa holders (however it is publicly available)
Cant post the link yet but if you google "HURRY – Last Chance to get the Starwood American Express Credit Card!" you'll see it on the Canadian kilometers blog, which sends you to amex official website with the offer still there.

I've never had an SPG Amex before (didn't have the marriot visa either) and i'd like to apply if I would be able to actually get the 20k points. The statement credit isn't worth it, and I already have Amex Cobalt and Biz Plat, so I'd only want this for the 20k SPG.
You might be too late for the card. I heard it’s all statement credit now. No more 20K points!
Old May 22, 2018, 7:35 am

When will my SPG points post this month? Last month they posted on the 17th. This month, we're the 22nd and I'm still waiting for them to post....

When do you guys think they will post?
Old May 22, 2018, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
6 points/dollar? I'm not sure why you would be expecting that?

In the US, it looks like after Aug 1, AMEX SPG is going 2 points/dollar.
I believe the US cards are going to 6 Marriott points/dollar, equivalent to 2 SPG/dollar. I could be wrong, but don't think that you'll be able to earn any SPG points once the programs merge anymore.

I have both the Canadian and US SPG Amex cards. I received a letter on the US card informing me of the changes, but nothing yet on the Canadian card. Has anyone received any actual communication from Amex Canada on this? Of course, I'm expecting changes (particularly given the CAD-USD FX rate), but just curious as to what they will be an if any elite qualifying nights will be added to the card.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by makin'miles
I believe the US cards are going to 6 Marriott points/dollar, equivalent to 2 SPG/dollar. I could be wrong, but don't think that you'll be able to earn any SPG points once the programs merge anymore.

I have both the Canadian and US SPG Amex cards. I received a letter on the US card informing me of the changes, but nothing yet on the Canadian card. Has anyone received any actual communication from Amex Canada on this? Of course, I'm expecting changes (particularly given the CAD-USD FX rate), but just curious as to what they will be an if any elite qualifying nights will be added to the card.
6 marriott points for spending at Marriott / SPG hotels ! It's 2 points for everyday spending !
Old May 22, 2018, 2:30 pm

Aie my bad - of course. Stop posting when jetlagged... :S
Old May 22, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
6 marriott points for spending at Marriott / SPG hotels ! It's 2 points for everyday spending !
This is true until August. After that, it's anyone's guess at this point in time.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Here's hoping we get more than one card this time for SPG / Marriott > August 2018. Either a VISA to supplement AMEX, or an AMEX SPG/Marriott Platinum finally.
prmetime likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, spg platnum, viporter, United Silver, Delta Med
Anyone have updates?

anyone heard anything on the updated cards in Canada ?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jchacko2
anyone heard anything on the updated cards in Canada ?
I was thinking about this too. In a little over a month the programs will merge and we have heard nothing about the Canadian SPG AmEx. Poor form. Are we still earning Starpoints on this card after that, or some multiple of Marriott points? It would be nice to know.
worldtraveller73 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.