Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 3:34 pm

A few notes, based on my four-night stay. (Four nights in a airport hotel?!)

First, the parking rate mystery: straight-up 24 hour parking is $12. For hotel guests, an in-and-out option is provided at a cost of $13.20. Also note that the spaces nearest the driveway are designated for hotel guests. I'm not sure how this is enforced, but it's kind of nice, since these spaces are closest to the hotel.

The ^
I'm not much of a lounge guy. I've seldom any time, and my interest in typical lounge food is limited. But this lounge is, in my opinion, a cut above. Evening service has raw and roasted vegetables, bread, some hot dish (I never sampled), chips, salsa, soft drinks, beer and wine for what seemed to be a reasonable charge. There's a computer terminal and a nice view. The lounge never got crowded during my stay, despite the fact that the hotel was (nearly?) sold out. Service was okay, when not distracted with a game of computer solitaire. (Hey, it was a slow, slow night, so no big deal.) Breakfast was pretty standard, with a small "bonus" (?) of hot oatmeal.
I got a reservation at and SPG50 rate and saved a heap of money over the rack rate.
Nice gym, with windows that open and an HVAC system that can be adjusted.
Front desk staff was fine, though when I had a new key made, I lost lounge access. There was someone at the SPG front desk "window", but SPG folks didn't seem to benefit.
Adequate elevator service.
Enthusiastic restaurant recommendations from the concierge desk, at all price levels.
Got a really big room, with a couch and comfy chair, desk and bunches of space. Nice. Good bed.

Never quite got the HVAC in the room to work right. Could be my dumbness.
Couldn't turn off the music in the fitness center. If a hotel is going to spend the money to have TV service available on the cardio machines, one would think they'd want the audio programming to be...audible. (I didn't actually use the TVs, but I couldn't hear nmy portable music player.)
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: DL DM. EK Gold. UA1K. BA Silver. SPG Plat. HH. Diamond.
I think the Gateway is the best airport hotel in LAX. I have stayed there many times. Very friendly front desk and super guest services.

I like the food in their Italian restaurant, definately better than at most airports.
The bar inside the restaurant is very nice too, great friendly service.

Nice gym, and i personally like the pool because it's always warm enough to swim in.

The club level lounge is never over crowed liked the Hilton at LAX.

The only negative in my book is the bathrooms, they are small and ugly, but then again, it's an airport hotel. The renovations downstairs are very nice, good atmosphere.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:02 pm

This is, in my experience, the best LAX hotel. I get upgraded to an executive suite every single stay. Just not in my recent stay as I needed 2 beds...They claimed tat they don't have 2BD suites.

Lounge offerings is nice. And last time when I really wanted to sleep late I've asked for a BK coupon for the restaurant & got it. No question asked. ^
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:33 am

Does this property offer lounge access or benefits to Golds? I know the Westin LAX recognises gold status, however have just read the Gateway is a nicer place to stay. Planning on staying at one or the other, and torn?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Glad to hear the positive comments about this hotel.

Is the lounge open during the day?

We can't check in for our flight until 6:00 PM and will have to check out at 4:00. Can we hang out in the lounge during that two hours or any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy

We can't check in for our flight until 6:00 PM and will have to check out at 4:00. Can we hang out in the lounge during that two hours or any other suggestions?
Yes, but it's a pretty sad place to hang out at. Why not the pool? Or Encounter at LAX? http://www.encounterlax.com/
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:23 pm

Is the club lounge closed at weekends? Not a Plat but booked club room w/lounge access, so hoping I would receive a breakfast voucher etc if so.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Glad to hear the positive comments about this hotel.

Thanks
I had a 11 pm redeye, and I asked the Sheraton Gateway desk for a late checkout and the front desk offered a 6 pm checkout without an additional charge. I was a plat in a two queen bed traditional room (there were no upgraded rooms available when I checked in), which wasn't going to be used the next night, so they basically told me to stay as long as I wanted.

I wouldn't demand or expect it by any means, but you may want to consider asking for a late checkout.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by jdawg
I had a 11 pm redeye, and I asked the Sheraton Gateway desk for a late checkout and the front desk offered a 6 pm checkout without an additional charge. I was a plat in a two queen bed traditional room (there were no upgraded rooms available when I checked in), which wasn't going to be used the next night, so they basically told me to stay as long as I wanted.

I wouldn't demand or expect it by any means, but you may want to consider asking for a late checkout.

That sure would be awesome. Thanks for the advice!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Is the club lounge closed at weekends? Not a Plat but booked club room w/lounge access, so hoping I would receive a breakfast voucher etc if so.
Due to the Sheraton Brand mandate the club is now open weekends and the hotel no longer gives out breakfast or appetizer vouchers on weekends.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Due to the Sheraton Brand mandate the club is now open weekends
Now open or not open?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Due to the Sheraton Brand mandate the club is now open weekends and the hotel no longer gives out breakfast or appetizer vouchers on weekends.
Is this a recent change? I'm going to miss the corned beef hash and scrambled eggs in the buffet
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Now open or not open?
[club lounge] Now open on weekends = no more vouchers for restaurant buffet
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:04 am

[club lounge] Now open on weekends = no more vouchers for restaurant buffet
Whats the lounge offering like here; h'ordeves in the evening, breakfast in the morning? Trying to figure out if it is worth the extra points for a club floor, where the rooms are the same as standard rooms. Hopefully they would upgrade us to a suite while still allowing club access.

What about the Westin club lounge. That is still closed at the weekends, would they offer breakfast vouchers if on a club floor room at the weekend?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Whats the lounge offering like here; h'ordeves in the evening, breakfast in the morning?
Limited experience but I was very much underwhelmed about the breakfast.

Hopefully they would upgrade us to a suite while still allowing club access.
Yes, club access for Platinum is always there, no matter what room you'll get. Last time I got upgraded to some kind of junior suite which was really nice and spacious.

BTW: I've never stayed at the Westin LAX but it gets consistent bad reviews. The Four Points isn't too bad, I would stay there if the Sheraton is unavailable or expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.