Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Arrow Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel [Master Thread]

Quick stay before departing LA.

RANKINGS
Check-in/Check-out [4 out of 5]

Individual elite check-in. It wasn't over impressive, but they get the basic right. This property has the capability to send folios electronically.

Common Areas [3]
The lobby level and second floor have a pseudo-chick feel. The remainder of the property is a basic but very clean Sheraton.

Guest Rooms [4]

Overall First Impression: Wow, what a huge room.

The room is a giant room with the bed on one side and a seating area opposite. Room faces the airport but could not hear anything.

• Bed: typical Sheraton Sweet Sleeper
  • Furniture & Decor: Casual, clean and comfortable.
  • Closet Space: Large but shallow closet. Two sliding doors had a "cheap" feeling.
  • TV: Large flat screen in an armoire in the middle of the room. You could position it to face either the living or sleeping area.
  • Lighting: Ample lighting throughout room with large windows that face the airport.
  • Workspace: Nice desk, plus there is a large dining table in the room that you can also be used.
  • View: Great view of the airport for plane spotter.
  • Radio/Audio:Basic alarm clock. Big disappointment.

Guest Room Bathrooms [4]
Nice size bathroom with a gigantic counter space. I don't understand why there was no double vanity.

• Sink: Residential feel with good counter space. Enough working space for two people to prepare without bumping into each other.
  • Tub/Shower Combo: For a bathroom that was so large it seemed strange there was no separate shower.
  • Toiletries: Typical Sheraton toiletries.

Housekeeping [N/A]
No issues as I only spent one night in the property.

Club Level/Lounge [N/A]
Club level was closed, however, you are given a coupon for a free appetizer at the bar.

Fitness Center [4]

Nice size gym that looks out to pool. Adequate amount of machines.

Pool [5]
Nice "looking" pool and pool deck with hot tub, but a little tight. A little noisy as planes are taking off and landing. Not exactly a place where I would want "relax". My major negative is the bird poop on the cabanas.

Business Center [N/A]
Sheraton link station adjacent to lounge.

High Speed Wired/Wireless Internet Access [4]
Free wireless in lobby area. Wireless in the rooms had no problems.

Parking/Valet [4]
Very fast. I called for the car prior to going out and it was there before I got downstairs. Although on a few times I did see a cue.

Dining [4]
The first night, I had a burger at the bar and appetizers. It was much better than expected. Platinum's are given a breakfast coupon. The buffet was big, plentiful and more importantly, Good!

FINAL IMPRESSION
Overall hotel cleanliness:
Clean and simple.

Staff attitude, conduct & support:
Everyone I came in contact with was pleasant and professional.

Good location for beach community access and the airport. Convenient to all of the Westside of LA.

Would I return?
Yes. Based on price versus other starwood properties.

Would I recommend this as family friendly?
Yes.

Good for business travelers?
No, since it’s away from the CBD. But it's LA, so people are used to driving.

Good for a romantic get away?
No.

Would I recommend for someone looking for Dining/Nightlife?
No.

Would I recommend restaurant?
Yes. Far from typical airport food, but not a destination for a date.

Value for price paid?
Excellent

Overall property rating on a scale from 1 to 10 = 7.5

Last edited by KENNECTED; Jan 26, 2010 at 11:33 am
Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:17 pm

Search is your friend

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aussiechris
Ummmm I'm not comparing properties. Nor do I feel my post on this property should be lumped in. These are two separate properties and my post is about the Sheraton Gateway.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

Guest Room Bathrooms [4]
Nice size bathroom with a gigantic counter space. I don't understand why there was no double vanity.
  • Sink: Residential feel with good counter space. Enough working space for two people to prepare without bumping into each other.
  • Tub/Shower Combo: For a bathroom that was so large it seemed strange there was no separate shower.
  • Toiletries: Typical Sheraton toiletries.
Nice size? I've stayed at LAX Sheraton Gateway quite a few times, each time in a different junior suite. Everyone of the junior suites I've stayed in had a small size bathroom that looked cheap.

Several of the junior suites had the TV in the sitting area that is not viewable from the bed.

I have always been upgraded to a junior suite at this hotel as a Plat, so no complaints. But, I do wish they switch over to Starbucks coffe in the room vs Maxwell House.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Isn't there a master thread for this property already?

It looks like CE got one of the many suites in the hotel!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I stayed here on a weekend paid stay in December and was upgraded to a suite as a gold. Awesome room and the service was excellent. The valets even put us in a limo to west LA, which ended up being cheaper than a taxi.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:38 am

My wife and I have a 12 hours layover at LAX. We decided to get a room and decided on the Sheraton Gateway LAX. I have 2 questions, if applicable.

I have read different boards regarding Sheraton Hotels and their in room toiletries as to whether or not the rooms will have them. With that said, does this hotel provide their rooms with toiletries? If not, does this Sheraton have a sundry shop (or the like) that sells these supplies?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bishope2
My wife and I have a 12 hours layover at LAX. We decided to get a room and decided on the Sheraton Gateway LAX. I have 2 questions, if applicable.

I have read different boards regarding Sheraton Hotels and their in room toiletries as to whether or not the rooms will have them. With that said, does this hotel provide their rooms with toiletries? If not, does this Sheraton have a sundry shop (or the like) that sells these supplies?
Where did you read that? This property has in room toiletries.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I stayed there last night...

No upgrade as a Plat, though I canceled and re-booked at 10AM that morning when the price dropped ~$60, so that may have affected my upgrade.

I was assigned a standard room on the 14th floor with the as-mentioned puny bathroom and a full compliment of toiletries. Bedding looked brand-new.

Club Lounge on 15 was open, first time I'd been there since the remodeling. The continental breakfast spread was the same as before remodeling.

They have fixed their Wi-Fi system, so getting it "free" doesn't seem possible anymore.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
When I was there one weekend recently, no breakfast coupon was offered.

My upgraded junior suite tends to match an earlier post that said bathroom was small, and I concur.

Cheap Elite, thanks for your review.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by allset2travel
When I was there one weekend recently, no breakfast coupon was offered.

My upgraded junior suite tends to match an earlier post that said bathroom was small, and I concur.

Cheap Elite, thanks for your review.
i'm surprised that there isn't a master thread either

anyway, isn't the lounge open on the weekend? heck thats the one place I stay on the weekend as it has an open lounge unless that has changed in the last two months?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Added pics. Sorry for the delay.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Where did you read that? This property has in room toiletries.
Looking at your photo, no mouthwash, shower gel or loofah though. A suite should have these items standard.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Wink

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Looking at your photo, no mouthwash, shower gel or loofah though. A suite should have these items standard.

Did Lurker tell us that? I remember him saying something about amenities in suites vary. (and no, I don't feel like searching for his post)

And for the record, there was shower gel. I used the mouthwash before taking the picture, I didn't think anyone would notice. Unfortunately some people just have to point our everything! I tell you...some people's kids!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:29 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level

Did Lurker tell us that? I remember him saying something about amenities in suites vary. (and no, I don't feel like searching for his post)

And for the record, there was shower gel. I used the mouthwash before taking the picture, I didn't think anyone would notice. Unfortunately some people just have to point our everything! I tell you...some people's kids!
LOL. Regardless of the room type, the standard amenities for the Sheraton brand are the following:

Hotels:
shampoo
conditioner
(2) soaps

Resorts:
shampoo
conditioner
(2) soaps
shower gel
body sponge

Additional bath amenities that can be added to hotel premium rooms/suites:
shower gel
body sponge

Additional bath amenity that can be added to resort premium rooms/suites:
vanity pack

There is an approved corporate brand contingency in place that would allow for any additional bath amenities above not to be distributed unless they are specifically requested.

Note: Mouthwash does not appear in any Sheraton brand standards, although it is clear that some properties do distribute it.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.