Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Paparazzi Restaurant

What a great dining option, especially for an airport hotel. ^

It's Italian food, with some interesting takes on classic dishes. They also have their own bar/lounge within the restaurant that is an even better atmosphere than the hotel's not-bad-at-all lobby bar.

I encourge anyone staying here to give it a try.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by JCBR

Rental Desk - actually there isnt one BUT the main Hertz depot (and most of the other rental agencies) are literally round the corner so collection/drop off is quite easy. OK you have to walk for 10 minutes which is probably an arrestable offence in LA but saves you a lot of hassle.
I use Avis primarily

Its really a short walk (~5m-8m) to Avis if you cut through the parking lot out back to 96th street, take a right and take the quick left (at the light) and avis is on the right
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:55 am

After staying for one night for less than 8 hours, I would say this is your average airport hotel. Got a small upgrade and the club was closed until Jan 10th but didn't really care since I was there just to sleep. Checked in, then dropped the car off at Hertz and they had a courtesy car take me back to the hotel. I was worried since Hertz is the farthest lot from the hotel and I didn't see any cabs but it worked out really well. The concierge said another option was to slip the rental shuttle driver some cash and he might stop for me on the way to the terminal.

Was surprised there were no cabs waiting even at 5am because it is LAX after all. The valet called a cab and one showed up in 5-10 min.

One issue... I don't think I saw a doorman/porter at night (~9p) or in the morning (~5a).
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
As a Plat and a frequent visitor to this property (not sure if the later makes a difference or not), I can only think of one time in the last 8-10 years when I did not get upgraded to one of their junior suites (what are those room numbers, behind the elevators, facing the street .... #27 and #29, I think).

Several times I have been upgraded to big suites .... which, considering that I mostly stay one night, is lost on me.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by Swooop12
After staying for one night for less than 8 hours, I would say this is your average airport hotel. Got a small upgrade and the club was closed until Jan 10th but didn't really care since I was there just to sleep. Checked in, then dropped the car off at Hertz and they had a courtesy car take me back to the hotel. I was worried since Hertz is the farthest lot from the hotel and I didn't see any cabs but it worked out really well. The concierge said another option was to slip the rental shuttle driver some cash and he might stop for me on the way to the terminal.

Was surprised there were no cabs waiting even at 5am because it is LAX after all. The valet called a cab and one showed up in 5-10 min.

One issue... I don't think I saw a doorman/porter at night (~9p) or in the morning (~5a).
For me not average airport hotel
Good airport hotel

Like it
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by kevinsac
As a Plat and a frequent visitor to this property (not sure if the later makes a difference or not), I can only think of one time in the last 8-10 years when I did not get upgraded to one of their junior suites (what are those room numbers, behind the elevators, facing the street .... #27 and #29, I think).

Several times I have been upgraded to big suites .... which, considering that I mostly stay one night, is lost on me.
I've stayed here a bunch of times in the last two years and always, without exception, have received a massive suite that I could play mini-golf in. And I always book the cheapest room.

That said, the huge suites are exactly the same as the smaller rooms in terms of furniture and amenities. They just offer more space and maybe a dining table. And as I complained about earlier in this thread, the bathrooms in the huge suites are exactly the same as the bathrooms in ordinary rooms. So unless you are hosting a big party, I wouldn't care about a suite at this hotel.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by laurajoyce
Would someone who knows this property mind summarizing the parking situation? Is street parking an option? (I'll be arriving fairly late and leaving at 5:30am) What is the 24 hour rate in their lot?
Depends on your flexibility and schedule - parking can be free. I use the street parking behind the hotel on the north side of the street (do NOT park overnight on the south side of the street or you will be towed). Parking is 2hr between 8-12am, so basically you need to either leave or move your car by 10am, and then again every 2 hours. So - it's possible to park for free, but again, depends on your schedule and flexibility. You must move your car from the north side of the street to the south side on Wednesdays by noon to allow for street cleaning. I usually check-in late, around 930-10p, so once I find a spot on the street (and never have a problem doing so), my car is good until the next morning. After breakfast the next morning I go outside and move my car to 'reset' the 2hr time clock. I'm usually gone by noon.

The self-park lot is $13.20 per day with in/out privileges, and is your only legitimate option if you can't move your car by 10am the next morning, or if you arrive in the afternoon/early evening and need to leave your car in one place before midnight.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
When the Lounge is closed, Plats get a coupon for the excellent and very extensive breakfast buffet - making this hotel an even greater deal.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The self-park lot is $13.20 per day with in/out privileges, and is your only legitimate option if you can't move your car by 10am the next morning, or if you arrive in the afternoon/early evening and need to leave your car in one place before midnight.
It should also be mentioned that the self park is a huge public lot and can be very full leaving you an awfully long walk back to the hotel. Which really sucks when it is raining and you are carrying bags.

I just looked at my last bill and valet parking was only $12. Are you sure self-parking is $13.20?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
It should also be mentioned that the self park is a huge public lot and can be very full leaving you an awfully long walk back to the hotel. Which really sucks when it is raining and you are carrying bags.

I just looked at my last bill and valet parking was only $12. Are you sure self-parking is $13.20?
I thought valet is $20 or 25...the large self park lot is definitely $13.20 per day. There are a few spots reserved for Sheraton customers right next to the rental car office adjacent to the auxiliary exit lane....but if these fill up, parking there can be a pain. I've never parked there without finding a hotel-reserved spot, but I had to squeeze my rental car in pretty tight on a few occasions.

Maybe you were not charged a full night for valet?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe the $12 valet is part of my corporate rate. I'll check into it the next time I go.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Valet Parking

Originally Posted by stimpy
Maybe the $12 valet is part of my corporate rate. I'll check into it the next time I go.
I've often paid $20+ a night here for valet but have occasionally gotten a AAA rate that included a discount of about 50% on valet parking. Usually on very slow weekend or holiday nights.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Had a C&P stay here last night (upgraded to a terrific executive suite - never missed a suite upgrade at this hotel). Good stay overall - wanted to add a quick note to say that the hotel was recently revised to Category 2, however SPG's reservation system seems to charge 1600 points and $45, instead of 1600 pts + $30 (I suspect the $45 charge is a holdover from the category 3 days). The reservation screen showed the rate as 1600 pts + $30 when I made the reservation but the reservation email actually had the cash component as $45 (and I didnt really notice it). Ended up being charged $45 at checkout but managed to get it corrected with a quick phone call. Thought I would flag it in case someone has a similar reservation.
Old May 13, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
Just did a 1 night stay and I think this will be my airport hotel of choice near LAX. Much nicer (other than the shower) than the Westin.

The restaurant is also surprisingly good.

I was upgraded to a Junior Suite, which was nice. For a corp. rate of 119, this was solid.
Old May 14, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
Originally Posted by astan100
Just did a 1 night stay and I think this will be my airport hotel of choice near LAX. Much nicer (other than the shower) than the Westin.

The restaurant is also surprisingly good.

I was upgraded to a Junior Suite, which was nice. For a corp. rate of 119, this was solid.
+1. probably one of best airport hotels. Definitely our choices for short stay in LAX. Got upgraded to large executive suite every time we stayed here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.