Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:27 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FD1971
The Grill was reminiscent of the whole hotel, really good, but nothing more.
That was the crux of my review. It's good but not worthy of all the hype.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Well, it's the best you will be able to get on the north shore..... And in my opinion makes a welcome change compared to the other areas of Kauai.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Smile

I was there Saturday and felt the new chef, who has been there a year. has taken things up a notch. It is the best on the north shore by far.

No other JG restaurant compares to the flagship in NYC.

(If one doesn't want to compare the Maldives to Kauai, then one shouldn't compare Kauai Grill to Jean George's namesake restaurant).
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
[DELETED]

Last edited by omegadeal; Sep 22, 2013 at 11:27 pm
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:18 am

Hi all.

Great info in thread so far.

I have a last minute window for some vacation so planning to fly to Hawaii this Saturday (sep 28th) and stay through the 6 or 8th of October.

Am I right to take from this thread that the weather at the St. Regis for this window is generally more positive compared to other times of the year based on rain etc? Any reason to pick another resort for this window?

I will just be with me and the mrs. (no kids) and the balance of posts on this thread seem to support the St. Regis over say the Westin Maui with this configuration. We are generally pool loungers and laid back. Plan to use some SNAs as well.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If all you want to do is lounge by the pool the southern part of the island would be my choice. But the north is far more interesting if you go outside of your hotel. And the weather is quite good there this time of year....
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:33 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Woodsmit
Hi all.

Great info in thread so far.

I have a last minute window for some vacation so planning to fly to Hawaii this Saturday (sep 28th) and stay through the 6 or 8th of October.

Am I right to take from this thread that the weather at the St. Regis for this window is generally more positive compared to other times of the year based on rain etc? Any reason to pick another resort for this window?

I will just be with me and the mrs. (no kids) and the balance of posts on this thread seem to support the St. Regis over say the Westin Maui with this configuration. We are generally pool loungers and laid back. Plan to use some SNAs as well.
For our stay a week ago it rained 1.5 days out of 3. It's the climate. We founf Maui and HNL weather much more predictable and reliant.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:10 pm

thanks all. much appreciated.

Have folks stayed at the ritz in Maui? how does it compare as a hotel? obviously a different climate profile, just a little worried about the weather
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

Have folks stayed at the ritz in Maui? how does it compare as a hotel? obviously a different climate profile, just a little worried about the weather
The Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua is great. First class all the way.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:56 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

We did a week at the Andaz Wailea which just opened. Highly recommended. Stunning property.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:42 am

Thanks all.

So latest view is that I could do $439 per night at the St. Regis including a rental car or $284 for terrace guest room at the ritz on Maui. I have plenty of SNAs I can use at the St. Regis as well.

I wonder if it makes sense to split. I have 7 nights, I guess I could do 4 at one and 3 at the other. Might be too much Island hopping though. Is it a tremendous hassle to switch Islands?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:55 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I wonder if it makes sense to split. I have 7 nights, I guess I could do 4 at one and 3 at the other. Might be too much Island hopping though. Is it a tremendous hassle to switch Islands?
IMO, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to have an active vacation and do tours of two different islands, sure, why not? If, however, you just want to laze around the pool, it's too much hassle. You can easily lose half a day with the transfer (check out, drive to the airport, return the car, deal with TSA, fly, pick up luggage, pick up car, drive to hotel, check in...). I've island hopped many times, but I wouldn't do it just to experience another pool (if seeing another drinks menu is what you're after, consider splitting the trip between SR and Hyatt).
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Thanks all.

So latest view is that I could do $439 per night at the St. Regis including a rental car or $284 for terrace guest room at the ritz on Maui. I have plenty of SNAs I can use at the St. Regis as well.

By the time you consider packing, checking out, getting to the airport, flying to the other island (not much time here), driving to the new hotel, and checking in . . . you have spent more than half a day of your vacation. I spend two to three weeks each year on the islands and don't mind island hopping. However, if only spending one week IMO it is best to stay on one island only. Perhaps you could go from Princeville to Poipu to experience both sides of Kauai.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:17 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by controller1
....Perhaps you could go from Princeville to Poipu to experience both sides of Kauai.
+1
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by controller1
Perhaps you could go from Princeville to Poipu to experience both sides of Kauai.
Done it - awesome.^ We've stayed at the Marriott and the Grand Hyatt in Poipu and driven to the St Regis and stayed there. A great way to experience two different parts of HI without the hassles of check out, flying, check in, etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.