Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gnat_
I think shipping on that $10k order might be more than $40 though!

1000 coins ~= 19lbs
So, how much would UPS charge you to ship 190 lbs over ten boxes?

haha yeah... But i was assuming (slightly) that since they obviously have a huge deal with UPS to do them free right now, they could do 190lb for something cheap like $40
Old May 11, 2011, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jjwjjw
It's happened a number of times. A year or so ago, it was almost always backordered on all or most of them. I remember reading something on the mint site a few weeks ago warning that orders would be delayed due to something. It was either inventory or a new coin issue. I think they're just trying to warn people it might be a little longer than normal. Someone reported an order placed on 5/4 shipping, so it doesn't seem too far from normal.
yah, thought so. And so other than the fact they keep pushing out the BO date, I am not worried. Just waiting.

Originally Posted by javabytes
The mint sent mine Next Day Air... $1000 weighs about 19 pounds, which UPS normally charges about $60 from the shipping location to my location. And I'm pretty close by... do they really overnight these coins everywhere?
I have read that it costs the Govt like 27 cents to make one $1 coin... including shipping. This means they are making a killing on us and probably like that we do in fact circulate them even if most of ours end up in banks.
Old May 11, 2011, 9:36 am
Suspended

The mint sent mine Next Day Air... $1000 weighs about 19 pounds, which UPS normally charges about $60 from the shipping location to my location. And I'm pretty close by... do they really overnight these coins everywhere?
If sent via UPS, yes

USPS is 2 day
Old May 11, 2011, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If it's a street address, if it's a PO box they use priority mail (which is two days to my PO box in Ohio). I use my office for some cards and a PO Box for others and when orders ship the same day the ones to my office arrive a day before the PO Box orders.

THe mint is getting a HUGE discount. UPS offers substantial discounts for their bigger clients. I am assuming 4 boxes of coins would fit in a large rate priority mail box and that is only $14.95 and it would probably fit in a medium which is only $10.95. Not sure if the USPS gives volume discounts, but even if they didn't, it wouldn't make sense for the mint to use UPS, unless it was a cheaper rate than priority mail.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:18 am

It looks like some of the presidential coins moved to 5/26 - I think they were 5/27 yesterday. Maybe the sky's not falling?
Old May 11, 2011, 10:51 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
If they limit orders to $500 I will make sure they regret that decision. Watch their shipping costs double!

I think that was a mess up though as stated and not the $1 direct ship program.

Can't wait for these to get back on track!!!!

The US MINT wraps.... Yeah in one of my orders for the Native American coins they came in "not the regular" red wraps, but some other crap with the words US MINT in big letters. Just felt it was a pain because the teller will probably be more likely to ask questions since it says US MINT, etc..... I ended up unrolling them and putting them through a free coin counter at a local bank.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by cagalindo
If they limit orders to $500 I will make sure they regret that decision. Watch their shipping costs double!
I am sure that was a mistake on their site. If it was the case, it seems like it would have also appeared on the direct shipment page.

If that is the case, I am sure Am Ex is going to be getting a lot of request for more cards for family and friends from people on this thread
Old May 11, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
I placed an order on 5/4 also. Just checked today and the status says:

"Your order request is in process.
JAMES MADISON $250 BOX $1 COINS
4 $250.00 $1,000.00 4 units backordered. Expected to ship on 05/26/2011."

We'll see...
My 5/4 order shipped today.
Old May 11, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by lavag
My 5/4 order shipped today.
It might help us a bit if you tell us which specific coins (i.e. which President, or Native?) they were.

FWIW: My Jefferson's from 5/1 are still not shipping.
Old May 11, 2011, 2:55 pm

I received my 5/3 order of Native Americans yesterday.
Old May 11, 2011, 3:23 pm

George Washington (Y06) sold out ..End looks near
Old May 11, 2011, 3:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but even if the coins are back ordered, you can still place your orders every 10 days. Mint will just 'queue' up coins, but eventually you should get your backlog, right?
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Correct
Only "correct" if item comes back in stock.
Old May 11, 2011, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Only "correct" if item comes back in stock.
I don't know if it is correct even if the coins comes back in stock. As far as I understand the system, the 10 day limit is based on CC authorization. My guess is, when the coins become available, they'll start authorizing all the orders they can fill with the inventory and might not wait 10 days before authorizing the next order.
Old May 11, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by thehawk75
It might help us a bit if you tell us which specific coins (i.e. which President, or Native?) they were.

FWIW: My Jefferson's from 5/1 are still not shipping.
Native American
Old May 11, 2011, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I think shipping on that $10k order might be more than $40 though!

1000 coins ~= 19lbs
So, how much would UPS charge you to ship 190 lbs over ten boxes?
A 10K order ships in 4 or 5 cartons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.