Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by mrpickles
They do not have to be unrolled. The only coins the have to be unrolled are hand rolled coins, not machine rolled from the US Mint in the original government machine rolls.

If they tell you otherwise they are idiots.
If they tell you otherwise they are following the rules set down by the Federal Reserve. The Federal Reserve explicitly states:

4.7 Preparing a Coin Deposit
You are responsible for piece counting, verifying for authenticity and assembling Coin before depositing it with us. Coin must be sorted and bagged by denomination. The FRB does not accept wrapped Coin.

Here is a link, don't focus on the April 1, 2011 date on the document, it's the same in their current operating circular.

http://www.frbservices.org/files/reg...mop_040111.pdf
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
I told him to go to track your order and CX it but I guess as a Guest Purchaser it doesnt offer that option, so I then told him to call The Mint.turns out Chase didnt let it go thru so The Mint said they will resend it

I told him to call Chase and see whats up on their end
well he called Chase and was told they never Declined anything for $100 or any amount, so must be the USM placed it on Hold due to the 10 day wait period not being met and never released it, hopefully when they resubmitt it he will be back in Biz.

thsi is what happens when you get a friend finally into the M&P game , they come lookin for you when something hits teh fan
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:40 pm

They do not have to be unrolled. The only coins the have to be unrolled are hand rolled coins, not machine rolled from the US Mint in the original government machine rolls.

Please look at the following link, which explains and shows examples of how banks need to prepare deposits going to the Federal Reserve...

http://www.frbservices.org/operation..._examples.html
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by craz
well he called Chase and was told they never Declined anything for $100 or any amount, so must be the USM placed it on Hold due to the 10 day wait period not being met and never released it, hopefully when they resubmitt it he will be back in Biz.

thsi is what happens when you get a friend finally into the M&P game , they come lookin for you when something hits teh fan
I would advise your friend to mix the coin purchases with regular daily purchases. Some would argue not to worry, while others would say their Chase cards were suddenly closed for unintended use. I always like to be on the safe side.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by buschoi
I would advise your friend to mix the coin purchases with regular daily purchases. Some would argue not to worry, while others would say their Chase cards were suddenly closed for unintended use. I always like to be on the safe side.
thanks I warned him about that from the get go
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (0.45MM)
Originally Posted by ntjane66
I personally would not do it that way. There is to much room for error plus it would take a while to get the credit. Two years ago, I had one branch tell me they had to send it out to be counted and I would get credit later. I tried it and it took about a week to appear in my account. It was not worth the hassle to me, so I now use different branches and banks.

If you do it, I would suggest you start small and see how long it takes.
This bank gave me credit right away and allow me to deposit as many as i want(117.5lb to be exact ). I think that even if i dont break open the rolls, the teller would have to do it anyways, this is the regulation they have to follow in order to deposit it to the Fed.
I will know if there is any miscount the next few weeks, if not, I will probably unload all my future orders in this branch.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt

I can think of another idiot too.

Hey by the by, you PMd me something and I tried to reply but your box is full. Shall I try again? Let me know when you want me to re-send it and I can do that for you. Or I could email it to you if you wish to PM your email addy to me.

thanks.
MM
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Parking Meters Now Taking Dollar Coins

Noticed today in DC that the new parking meters that take credit cards also take dollar coins. (Parking here is $2/hour).

I'll still use cc for the ff miles but more people will appreciate the dollar coins now.
As for meters, you'll get the best use of them either from a Chase Freedom 10/10's 10 points per transaction component, or for meeting debit usage requirements on reward checking accounts.

If you're not playing the RCA game, all of those meters, coffees, newspapers, and other sundry experiences can add up quick on a Freedom. I keep it around solely for < $5 spend.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Why tell them anything? Or why make up a reason? It's not illegal to buy the coins and deposit them.
I received far more static from banks when they knew I was burdening them with obscene quantities of coins just to get credit card rewards than when I was just simply burdening them with obscene quantities of coins.

The person who has to stand around unrolling and counting coins will not be pleased at mileage games, nor will the elderly female teller who has to lug these things around.

Even though it is their job, I've had some snide comments from those who think it's getting a free ride.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by darwin76
Even though it is their job, I've had some snide comments from those who think it's getting a free ride.
It is. Sometimes, they even ask me how to get in.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: UA, CO, AA
another pointless debate
if the tellers tell you to unroll and place in bags, they are basically saying they dont want the coins. if they are nice enough to accept unrolled in the bags, then be grateful.
2 branches fell to the bags, another one closing next week for good and told me yesterday was the last time they would accept.
that leaves me with 4-5 branches left.
I may have to open an account at a different bank just to spread the deposits out more
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by cotter77
another pointless debate
Not really a debate. Some members are correcting the gross misinformation posted in this thread.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by Marathon Man

I can think of another idiot too.

MM
It doesn't matter who the idiots are. As we all know, when you're on THEIR turf you have to play by THEIR rules.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by moon4fun
I also kept two roll as a collection. I used to be able to get the new president dollars coin from our mini bank. Now it is closed. I went to the other bank, they all not carry the coin.

Is there a way I can find out where can I buy couple roll of new president dollar coin ?

The mint sale the new president Andrew Jackson 25 coin roll in $39.95 !! I really don't want to pay for extra $15.

Thanks!
Lee
Just tell me which bank you use. If I'm in the area I'll be more than happy to ensure they're fully stocked!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by MojaveJack
Just tell me which bank you use. If I'm in the area I'll be more than happy to ensure they're fully stocked!
You mean you aren't getting paid to bring in coins to your bank? I am... kid you not!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.