Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Million miler
The Mint's site says:
" * The United States Mint pays for standard shipping and handling of domestic orders. Any special handling will be paid by the customer.
* Orders are limited to two boxes ($500) per President.
* Specific coins are available only while supplies last.
* Please allow approximately 1-2 weeks for shipping.
* All sales are final."

I don't know how they choose to interpret the limit. In my case, I tried a different credit card but same person. Didn't try second person or alternate delivery address.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryG
Is it 2 boxes/president for each person/household/credit card?
Household.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA-exp, 4MM, MR-plat, Hertz-PC, WN-CP
Thanks for all the information and history on orders. I finally got around to ordering my first two boxes in December. I am enjoying them. Just ordered again.

I have learned from one of my kids and his friends who sometime work as valets that they would LOVE getting them as tips. They usually have to pool their tips. They are honest while some of the guys may not be (they have NEVER once gotten back as much as they turned in to the pool, odds of that seem rare). Anyway the company they work for lets the kids keep any coins given as a tip - they don't want to bother with them in the pool. The boys said they would be thrilled to get them.

I have not had anyone at a fast-food place or grocery store even look at them twice. They just give me my change. I have never minded 1 or 2 Euro coins or their predecessors and I find I am liking these for smaller purchases. (and tipping)
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:29 pm

Went to bank today with 5 boxes...they thought something funny was going on.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
My bank has asked if I were looking for error coins. Don't know how I would do that without opening the rolls I've taken to the bank, but ...
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by icurhere2
My bank has asked if I were looking for error coins. Don't know how I would do that without opening the rolls I've taken to the bank, but ...
x-ray decoder ring?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by broog
Went to bank today with 5 boxes...they thought something funny was going on.
No offense, but I would too...if someone walked in with that many coins into a bank - wouldn't you be suspicious?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
No offense, but I would too...if someone walked in with that many coins into a bank - wouldn't you be suspicious?
But not as suspicious as walking OUT with that many coins.

BTW, be wary of coin deposit fees. My credit union only allows $200 in coin deposits per month before the fees start. I personally haven't found this to be too much of a problem as I've been able to spend them quite well in place of cash/checks so far.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:49 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HH Gold, AA,DL,CO,NW,UA
Smile Native American coin

I also ordered 2 boxes of these coins. I'm at my limit of 2 boxes per president! I've been using them at stores that don't accept credit cards and also for paying & tipping parking attendants. I've never had a problem using them! Thanks so much for all your help! mahalo & aloha, john
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by AKronin
BTW, be wary of coin deposit fees. My credit union only allows $200 in coin deposits per month before the fees start.
Ouch. Coin deposit fees at a credit union surprise me. Though a former credit union of mine went bonkers with fees a few years ago unless you met an absurd minimum balance requirement (absurd not because the value was so high, but because the interest rate on the account was too low to justify leaving that much money in there).

My current credit union took the ~$1500 in mint rolls I had with no questions. I broke all the Washington and Adams rolls looking for plain-edge dollars, and since the credit union's coin counter didn't take dollar coins ( ), I hand rolled that ~$1000 and deposited it with no problems. Not a question was asked other than if I wanted to keep the plastic trays holding the rolls.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Anyone getting this message now when checking out?

Please note that the price of 2007 Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - James Madison (Y04) has changed from $250.00 to $0.00 since you placed it in you Shopping Cart.
It was a part of a larger order, wasn't sure what it meant. I went back to the catalog, saw it was still available, put it into my cart again, and was told I had exceeded my maximum (as now the cart had 4 of them).

So, took it back down to 2, again it priced at $500, but at checkout, again I got that same message.

I finally just checked out, and noticed that my order actually has 2 boxes of the Madison's, but for $0.

Does this mean I'm so lucky as to receive 2 free boxes of these?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by thehawk75
I finally just checked out, and noticed that my order actually has 2 boxes of the Madison's, but for $0.

Lucky?? Not quite. At $0 you would also earn 0 miles, which would defeat the whole purpose of the true FTer mission. If they do come for free, you have to call and complain that you're missing your miles.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:52 am
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Anyone getting this message now when checking out?

It was a part of a larger order, wasn't sure what it meant. I went back to the catalog, saw it was still available, put it into my cart again, and was told I had exceeded my maximum (as now the cart had 4 of them).

So, took it back down to 2, again it priced at $500, but at checkout, again I got that same message.

There is a huge thread at slickdeals right now about this error. People actually think the US mint is going to send them $500 for free(or $5 shipping).
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just ordered $500 of the Native American coins...

Was charged $500 too... (free shipping)

Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by aau
There is a huge thread at slickdeals right now about this error. People actually think the US mint is going to send them $500 for free(or $5 shipping).
I saw this over at SD-I'm afraid all this will do is mess up the system for those of us that have been placing orders all along.I imagine the Mint is going to take a much closer look at all orders now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.