Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: HH Gold, PC Plat, CO/UA, WN
Originally Posted by buschoi
For most of us, 2 boxes - $2,500 + $2,500 in each box. 50lbs each and my friend told me he once took three of them altogether to his apt upstairs and he would never do it again.
Hah! That's why mine never stay in my possession long enough to be carted up to the apartment.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Silver VIP, Delta Skymiles, USAirways
I know that I am coming very late to the party, but, after reading FAQs and the first of several hundred pages of this thread, I'm still at a loss.... is the purpose of buying these coins solely to get (basically free) FF miles? Please clue me in.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: CO, DL, SW, SPG, CapitalOne Venture
Smile

For most of us, 2 boxes - $2,500 + $2,500 in each box. 50lbs each and my friend told me he once took three of them altogether to his apt upstairs and he would never do it again.
Weird - never have received more than 7 [250] cartons in each box.

Bringing $5k to the bank with everyone at the branch looking at you, not one of my favorite moments but the miles add up
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FTnoob101
Weird - never have received more than 7 [250] cartons in each box.

Bringing $5k to the bank with everyone at the branch looking at you, not one of my favorite moments but the miles add up
All I need to make sure is not to attract others' attention before putting them through that secured door at the teller's window. Once through, I don't care how people look at them/me because my next free trip is provided by them.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by suzski
I know that I am coming very late to the party, but, after reading FAQs and the first of several hundred pages of this thread, I'm still at a loss.... is the purpose of buying these coins solely to get (basically free) FF miles? Please clue me in.
yes
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
All I need to make sure is not to attract others' attention before putting them through that secured door at the teller's window. Once through, I don't care how people look at them/me because my next free trip is provided by them.
Yeah but it can really become a pain when the tellers start freaking out and milling around like chickens with their heads cut off, and once I even had other customers start .....ing about it cuz it was occupying two tellers and a long line was starting to build up.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by HoKo
Yeah but it can really become a pain when the tellers start freaking out and milling around like chickens with their heads cut off, and once I even had other customers start .....ing about it cuz it was occupying two tellers and a long line was starting to build up.
That's why you have to test the waters with different banks until you find the right one. A friendly smile usually gets the tellers on my side.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by suzski
The coins appreciate by 5% after approximately five years, so some people are using these as a golden investment opportunity.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:14 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
deleted

Last edited by cordelli; Dec 23, 2010 at 1:42 pm
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by caseyfriday
That's why you have to test the waters with different banks until you find the right one. A friendly smile usually gets the tellers on my side.
Agreed and I have developed an excellent relationship with the 4 branches that I consistently rotate between, but, regardless of whether or not you look like Jessica Alba and/or are the friendliest person in the world if you bring in a couple grand in coins and then a bunch of customers happen to show up and the line starts stretching out the door, tellers aren't going to be happy.

The coins appreciate by 5% after approximately five years, so some people are using these as a golden investment opportunity.
LOL
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
What a rip! I was told 10% I'm going out back and digging up all that I have buried and sending them back ASAP
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That usually happens with a new teller or is the first time the branch sees the coins. One time I had a teller carted 5 boxes with her chair to the far end of the counter for someone to look at (the far end is commercial window) and then carted them all back to process the transaction. Another time a motor bank teller came to the window to help but had to carry the boxes to her counter to perform the transaction and she dropped one box to the ground. Luckily it did not roll all over the place. The teller manager walked by and ignored it. (He knew me and the reasons about doing the coins.) I did not feel comfortable and waited till the front teller finished with her customer and asked her to pick it up and pass to the motor bank teller. When the front teller told the motor bank teller about the box, the motor bank teller simply said "I knew that." I guess she wasn't too happy.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
I have a basement full of them for precisely this purpose!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:28 pm

There shouldn't be any more than 4 boxes of $250 each in every shipped box, unless you have the business exemption.

The limit per 10 days can be worked around with multiple accounts, but there is no way to get more than 4 of the $250 boxes in a single standard order.

It used to be different, when you could still order 99 boxes of $250 per shipment, and do the same thing the very next day.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: UA, CO, AA
Agreed and I have developed an excellent relationship with the 4 branches that I consistently rotate between, but, regardless of whether or not you look like Jessica Alba and/or are the friendliest person in the world if you bring in a couple grand in coins and then a bunch of customers happen to show up and the line starts stretching out the door, tellers aren't going to be happy.

LOL
this is why it is foolish to bring in more than 1-2k at a time. more than that attracts unwanted attention and will eventually lead to questions or fees or trouble

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.