Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Golden Sparrow
I'm pretty sure my bank has never had someone bring in boxes and boxes of coins to be deposited before (no smart frequent flyers in my area I guess). And I had asked them before I ever brought coins in -- if they accepted coin deposits. They said yes. I even asked "what if it's like boxes of coins" and they kinda laughed and said, 'yeah, it might take us a little longer, but yes'. Then, 5 trips of coin deposits later, they're not laughing anymore and said they 'need to talk to me' -- (I don't always deposit the coins myself so they didn't get a chance to talk to me right then) -- but according to my errand runner, seems like "they can't accept the coins anymore".

So as a general poll, How many banks have turned you away so far regarding coins?
You may want to talk to the bank manager at your bank before depositing anymore coins. Some banks (big and small) have people that review accounts for suspicious activity. If you have a good relationship with your bank they will probably let you bring them in no questions asked. You may want to bring them in yourself each time so they assume multiple people are doing this at your bank. The risk you take is if you have been a member at a bank for a long time and then get shut down... they can close your account.

Other members on here do a high volume of activity and have a great relationship with their bank to the point where they bring in their sealed UPS boxes and drop them off at the bank. Some branches may be more willing to take them than others. If you choose to open up a bank account else where you may be asked to set up a direct deposit to set up a better relationship in order to bring in coins.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pretty sure my bank has never had someone bring in boxes and boxes of coins to be deposited before (no smart frequent flyers in my area I guess). And I had asked them before I ever brought coins in -- if they accepted coin deposits. They said yes. I even asked "what if it's like boxes of coins" and they kinda laughed and said, 'yeah, it might take us a little longer, but yes'. Then, 5 trips of coin deposits later, they're not laughing anymore and said they 'need to talk to me' -- (I don't always deposit the coins myself so they didn't get a chance to talk to me right then) -- but according to my errand runner, seems like "they can't accept the coins anymore".

So as a general poll, How many banks have turned you away so far regarding coins?
I know this is a long thread, but if you have checked some of the posts, you would see a constant reminder or refrain to not kill the Golden Goose, or in this case, the Golden Sparrow.

You did not say how many "boxes and boxes" were in each of your deposit. It's time you have an honest heart-to-heart with your bank manager. If you have been a long-term customer with an excellent business relationship, then establish up front what you can expect to deposit and what they are willing to take. It does take a lot of manpower and storage on their end to take your deposits. So put yourself in their shoes and decide how best to approach the situation, or find another bank. Remember to be nice to the tellers too.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:35 am

Shipping seems back on track for new orders. Ordered 10/3, shipped 10/7.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:12 am

Programs: Several dozen
Banks Who Treat Your Cash Like It Was Trash

More than a few last fall in the days when everyone was rushing to recapitalize the failed banking system before they demanded another handout, oops, I mean bailout, from the American taxpayers. The solution was to establish relationships with over a dozen institutions which were happy to take in more modest amounts.

Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:17 am

Suggest you find another bank to preserve your cash flow.

Originally Posted by benmaller
I made a coin deposit this morning at a bank that I had made several deposits previously with no issues other than the standard "where, how, why" questions. Anyway, I sit my coins down on the counter, the super-discreet teller get on his phone, 3 ft from me, and calls branch manager (I assume). whispering "Hey Alex, do you want to talk to this guy? like I can't hear him. Hangs up phone and tells me "Alex will be over in a minute" Stand there ackwardly while Alex (who is in an open cube 10 ft behind me) talks on phone with another customer. Eventually, Alex calls teller back and tells him he is too busy and to accept the deposit. I found the whole thing entertaining as the two employees held this discreet conversation about me while I stood right there and heard them. We'll see what transpires in 10 days
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
strange encounters

Local bank closes at 4. And at 3:45 yesterday I walked into my small town BofA branch and stood in line with other muggers, thugs and thieves (yeah but they're cool people) and I ripped open the just delivered 2 boxes of coinage.

I handed the small but heavy boxes to the teller and she was worried if the contents would at least be rolled. I said yes and she opened one and saw that they were. She just took the other boxes that were still sealed and said... Ok, you're all set. She credited my account and I was out of there in 5 mins saying I'll be back. I asked if she needed my boxes and she said no and that she would send these out tonight.

I noticed there were two other people in line with similar boxes and I gave a nod to them. I did not have time to stop and chat nor did I want to open up a conversation about coins right then and there.

Do any other FTers doing this live in or around a certain quaint town in the north shore of MA? Maybe they were just people who do it for other reasons or from other websites that picked up this process we all enjoy.

No, they did not have black suits with dark sunglasses on. But I think next time I bring in coins, I will dress that way.

MM

That particular branch used to have a manager that gave a hard time with coins claiming they could not take certain amounts but she's gone now and people there appear to have no probs with it.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:06 am
DrG

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold, PC Plt Amb
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
No, they did not have black suits with dark sunglasses on. But I think next time I bring in coins, I will dress that way.
I hear banks really like it when their customers walk into a branch wearing dark sunglasses and a baseball cap.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
I know this is a long thread, but if you have checked some of the posts, you would see a constant reminder or refrain to not kill the Golden Goose, or in this case, the Golden Sparrow. .......
And it is disappointing to see the number of FT's, to be charitable, not living up to the spirit of the program.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by DrG
I hear banks really like it when their customers walk into a branch wearing dark sunglasses and a baseball cap.
Or pull the Dane Cook...

How bout this one right. All you need for this is a pair of gloves,
just take your gloves, right.
And go down to the bank. Get behind all the people in the bank.
Give the person in front of you a little nudge, just a little nudge.
Wait till they turn around, and when they turn around,
start putting on the gloves and say...
"Now would be a good time to leave, right now."
Either that or take out a piece of paper and a pen and say...
"Hey, how do you spell shoot-you-in-the-f***ing-face?
Come on, hurry up, one word? What is it?"
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:19 pm

Of course, last fall there was no spirit of the program to live up to.

Originally Posted by KenfromDE
And it is disappointing to see the number of FT's, to be charitable, not living up to the spirit of the program.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:20 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
...Which is of course, to stimulate the credit card and small package shipping industries. Not to mention the hard-working bank tellers. How many would have been sacked by now, were it not for this program?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:00 pm

Last edited by tmcneill; May 31, 2011 at 6:21 pm
Old Oct 8, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tmcneill
Is the mint filtering by:

name
billing address
shipping address
credit card number

or all of the above?
The answer is yes they do filter. Do not think anyone wants to publicize ways around the 10 day limit or else the Golden Sparrow will be killed.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by deant
The answer is yes they do filter. Do not think anyone wants to publicize ways around the 10 day limit or else the Golden Sparrow will be killed.
+1
Based on the fact that the Mint DOES respond to potential "abuse" of the program.
There was a time when we could place unlimited orders and order tens of thousands in one order (ahhhh - the good old days....).
All one has to do is read the entire thread to determine that, yes, it is a dog-eat-dog coin world.
Be careful what you post or it could ruin the deal for us all. This has been reiterated over and over.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Suggest you find another bank to preserve your cash flow.
this is already the backup bank, as I try to avoid overloading the friendly bank

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.