Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Smidget
Anyone else with a 9/22 order still in process? :/ Hopefully that status will change today!
Just shipped this morning, my 09/22 and 09/24 order. Strange though, only half of my 09/24 order seemed to have shipped... I might call if I don't actually get the other half in the mail tomorrow.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just shipped this morning, my 09/22 and 09/24 order. Strange though, only half of my 09/24 order seemed to have shipped... I might call if I don't actually get the other half in the mail tomorrow.
Interesting your 09/24 order shipped. My 09/23 ones are still In Process. Mine are all Presidents.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Interesting your 09/24 order shipped. My 09/23 ones are still In Process. Mine are all Presidents.
My 09/22 which fully shipped was half John Adams and half Thomas Jefferson. My 09/24 half shipped was half Sacagawea (the half that didn't ship) and half Native American (the half that did ship).

Does the Sacagawea typically have shipping issues? I saw some issues back in late June/July...

Last edited by Smidget; Oct 4, 2010 at 10:59 am
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: Several dozen
Order status

09/23 NA now shipping

Any second confirmation regarding AMEX's not receving MRs?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:30 am

My 9/23 order is still waiting too! Tomorrow is the 10th day, I will reorder anyway!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:34 am
DrG

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold, PC Plt Amb
I believe if you place your order by phone they can verify if your order will violate the 10 day rule before finalizing the order.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy

+1
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My 09/22 which fully shipped was half John Adams and half Thomas Jefferson. My 09/24 half shipped was half Sacagawea (the half that didn't ship) and half Native American (the half that did ship).

Does the Sacagawea typically have shipping issues? I saw some issues back in late June/July...
Why would you split your orders this way? Since the $1000 10 day rule, there is no more limit on the 2 boxes of each presidents. NA and Sacagawea have no lmiit ever. I had some delay on Sacagawea in the past. Their wrappers look very old too.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FTFan31
My 9/23 order is still waiting too! Tomorrow is the 10th day, I will reorder anyway!
Tomorrow is the 12th day
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTFan31
What is the time of your order?

Yes, you can order your 2nd batch with the 1st batch still In Process as long as the 10 day rule is met.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:02 pm

Why would you split your orders this way? Since the $1000 10 day rule, there is no more limit on the 2 boxes of each presidents. NA and Sacagawea have no lmiit ever. I had some delay on Sacagawea in the past. Their wrappers look very old too.
Oh, I had no idea, I guess I read some old information and have done the splits. And I guess I now know never go to Sacagawea, thanks for the info.

"Moe: Get out and take your Sacagawea dollars with you"
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by thehawk75
I know that AMEX did treat the coins as some form of cash equivalent. Not to the extent that you would be hit with a cash advance fee, in fact you actually earn points on the purchase, but, it did conflict with buying travelers cheques from their travel centers when that deal still existed. If for example you bought $2500 worth of coins, and then AFTER wanted to buy $1000 of travelers cheques, but only had a $3000 Cash Advance line, you would only be able to buy $500 worth of travelers cheques. However, if you wanted to do the reverse; buy the $1000 of travelers cheques first, and then buy the $2500 coins, you would be able to do so despite only the $3000 cash advance line.

Whether the AMEX CSR was making stuff up at the time, I'm not sure, however, I did find that if I made my weekly coin order, after my weekly TC purchase I would not have problems, in contrast doing it reversed always caused problems.

My speculation is that AMEX has various 'levels' of cash equivalents, and factors the coins against the Cash Advance line (only temporarily) but, still counts them as purchases. Travelers Cheques seem to be a 'closer to cash', cash equivalent in that, as we all sadly know, you no longer earn points on them any more, they do temporarily hit your cash advance line, but, at the end of the day you still don't get charged a cash advance fee for them.

At any rate, long story short, yes, AMEX has treated these as a cash equivalent since the beginning. Be thankful they let you earn points on them.
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Seems more speculation than anything, but no matter... right now they are giving points. There is a very simple method of getting around this from Amex or Chase... or getting shut down from only buying coins too often on your card. I guess PM me if you've been on the boards for at least a year or have 100 post. Doing this since we aren't posting any new/helpful info. I usually will reply late at night. If you have any questions about coins please feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer your questions and give suggestions.
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
09/23 NA now shipping

Originally Posted by HoKo
+1
Wasn't quite speculation. There was no speculation at all when I said AMEX has had the ability to specifically track the coin purchases, and treat them as a cash equivalent, and they've had this ability for quite some time. I kid you not when I tell you back in the 'travelers cheques' days the CSR supervisor did say that my '$1 coin purchases were affecting my cash advance line' and yes, she said '$1 coin purchases'... she did not say 'US Mint purchases'. She did advise me to buy the TC's before buying the coins if I were to buy both within a week of each other. That we have earned points on these purchases all this time has been at their discretion, and, now it seems they might be changing their mind. Granted I can't see that helping their bottom line when they're earning the merchant fee on the purchase, perhaps there have been a few buying the coins and declaring bankruptcy? (Actually, I do know of 1 person who actually did do that about a year ago...but that's another story)
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Oh, I had no idea, I guess I read some old information and have done the splits. And I guess I now know never go to Sacagawea, thanks for the info.

"Moe: Get out and take your Sacagawea dollars with you"
I avoid the Sacagawea and the Natives only because the banks I deposit to have a slight preference for the Presidents; At least a couple of those rolls I deposit are taken by people collecting the presidents, no one is collecting the Natives. So the branch manager told me anyway.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I avoid the Sacagawea and the Natives only because the banks I deposit to have a slight preference for the Presidents; At least a couple of those rolls I deposit are taken by people collecting the presidents, no one is collecting the Natives. So the branch manager told me anyway.
Yup. More than one branch told me they have customers coming in to ask for presidents, but no one asks for NA.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Granted I can't see that helping their bottom line when they're earning the merchant fee on the purchase, perhaps there have been a few buying the coins and declaring bankruptcy? (Actually, I do know of 1 person who actually did do that about a year ago...but that's another story)
Wow, I'd love to hear that story

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.