Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ejs621
First of all, I am not saying buying gift cards is mileage efficient. The only time I buy any type of a gift card is to give it instead of cash. I don't earn any miles by giving cash. I do by purchasing a gift card and giving that. I rarely do anything or purchase anything or pay for anything in general that I don't earn points or miles from! If only I could pay my mortgage with a credit card!

Disregarding US Mint purchases and initial bonuses or promotions, what would be your cost to earn 25,000 miles. Let's see I can fly ORD to HNL at 4,200 miles per leg (8,400 miles RT) at $800 each. Seems like $2400 would do it. I could look for other mileage runs and bonus mile promotions that could hopefully get me to much less than $1700 for 25,000 miles, but that does entail flying possibly an overnight stay at additional costs. Mileage run airfares are getting harder to find in todays market. But what can I do as an ordinary purchase that will net me the most miles at the least cost.

I think we have all been spoiled by the Mint deal. Afterall, the miles cost us nothing other than lugging them around. Just think if we had to go back to flying, staying in hotels, renting cars, churning credit cards or making purchases to EARN our miles and points. The mint has changed the face of mile/point earning, people have forgotten what it was like in the past!

Cheers!
I think an exact post was done in the old postal money order thread... and the old charter one gift card thread.

We would, to answer your question, always find a way to earn miles! And if it got harder, airlines would offer more to get people on board. In the very old days, why, I recall Continental giving me 5k miles just to sign up.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Can we please stay on topic???

We should get a moderator for this thread to delete posts like these and keep this thread on topic.
All of these posts, if you can read them all and try to follow, do in fact relate to coins and the processes people go through to get or redeem them. The gift card part, for example, directly relates to how people spend coins, get coins, or earn other miles when working the coin angle.

The other post I just quoted above this one relates to coins because it suggests that without gift cards AND coins, we might be in a pickle (well, maybe not Mr. Pickles) So to be honest, I suggest you try and offer something more constructive than a comment about deletion.

Besides, right now some orders are on hold because the end of this month is near. What else are we to do?

That being said, I just made an order last night and one was canceled because I messed up on the address. Oops! gotta try again. You see, this game is all about careful self-administration of things like CCs used and the like. So, like gift cards, we need to be sure of what we are doing and how/when and that is how we all get these miles.

If things change, we will creatively figure out a way. That's the whole point of this place, innit?

MM
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:56 pm

Can we please stay on topic???

We should get a moderator for this thread to delete posts like these and keep this thread on topic.
What topic would that be?
1 – Do we get charged for shipping?
2 – How much can I order?
3 – It went from Hold to in Process. Is this normal?
I think you get the idea!!!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by JumboJ
It still doesn't make any sense. You'd be better off to just give $100 cash than to pay $7 extra to buy the gift card and net 107 miles. Your $7 could buy almost 330 miles directly from the airline. No point in ever paying more than you can simply buy miles for.
I have never recommended buying a gift card that has additional fees.
What I have said was instead pf putting a $100 bill in card, I would rather buy a $100 dollar gift card at a grocery store with a credit card and earn double miles or double points and put that in card. I do not advocate purchasing a gift card that has additional fees! My first statement was in response to a statement that you could NOT use a credit card to purchase am Amex, Vis or MC at a grocery store, which is completely untrue.
That poster then stated that anything more than 1.4 cents a mile was foolish. Dismissing the Mint, I still want to know where you can get a return of 1.4 cents per mile on a purchase. that by the way equates to 71.42 miles per dollar. So instead of getting 200 miles with doubling at grocery store, the poster states that unless you get 7142 miles for that $100 it is a waste of time! What I would like to know, who gives 1.4 cents/mile or on other words 71.42 miles/ dollar for a purchase?????

Now hopefully back to coins and the US Mint!

Cheers!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
I have never recommended buying a gift card that has additional fees.
What I have said was instead pf putting a $100 bill in card, I would rather buy a $100 dollar gift card at a grocery store with a credit card and earn double miles or double points and put that in card. I do not advocate purchasing a gift card that has additional fees! My first statement was in response to a statement that you could NOT use a credit card to purchase am Amex, Vis or MC at a grocery store, which is completely untrue.
That poster then stated that anything more than 1.4 cents a mile was foolish. Dismissing the Mint, I still want to know where you can get a return of 1.4 cents per mile on a purchase. that by the way equates to 71.42 miles per dollar. So instead of getting 200 miles with doubling at grocery store, the poster states that unless you get 7142 miles for that $100 it is a waste of time! What I would like to know, who gives 1.4 cents/mile or on other words 71.42 miles/ dollar for a purchase?????

Now hopefully back to coins and the US Mint!

Cheers!
In all your posts about breaking down the math and asking who gives 71.42 miles / dollar, you're mixing this figure with a 'rebate' award on a credit card. In summary, no one does!!

Of course, if you 'buy' something with a credit card, you're 'buying something'. The 'miles' earned are a nice bonus for buying something that (I assume) you need.

When one is talking about 'buying' miles... and getting nothing else but 'miles'. Then, 1.4 cents per mile is quite an accurate figure for their value. And damn right if I were paying $100 just to buy miles and get nothing else for it, I'd like to get a hell of a lot more than 7142 miles for that $100 (see I even value miles at even less than 1.4 cents per mile -- but this is only my subjective valuation of course).
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
What topic would that be?
1 – Do we get charged for shipping?
2 – How much can I order?
3 – It went from Hold to in Process. Is this normal?
I think you get the idea!!!
Yes, posts about purchases and shipping would be fine... as well as efficient ways to move coin other than depositing them into a bank ($250 or more at a time).

I believe there are several threads that talk about what to do if the mint stops the direct ship programs and hundreds of threads on other ways to earn miles. If it's not mint related start a new thread on the topic. If there were an option to block people who report weekly how they used $5 in coins to tip someone I would If people want to read/write about how to use $10 in coins or other off topic posts let me know. Personally I like to keep up to date with what is going on, but it is very hard when you have people posting just to boost their # of posts.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That poster then stated that anything more than 1.4 cents a mile was foolish.
May I suggest you spend some time to visit Coupon Connection forum to see what "value" people tag on the miles when they are looking to do a trade?

1.4c per mile is of the high end - that is for AA miles. If it is DL miles, you may get less than 1c per mile in case you are lucky enough to have someone willing to take DL miles from you and offer you something else back.

thehawk75 post 10294 has it summed up right that you are mixing up the cost of mile versus a rebate on a CC.

During the US Airways promo last X'mas, the cost of just miles was at 0.7cent per mile, in case you are not aware because the "thing" that came with miles bonus was really Junk, that nobody would ever buy. So the cost buying the Junk that came with miles bonus was really for just miles.

The reason why I mention about EQM vs RDM is, EQM is always more expensive because you need BIS to earn EQM (well, with some CC you could "buy" part of your way to your status), and BIS always have a much higher cpm cost to obtain than RDM.

There are some serious flaws in your concept / thought on the miles (cost to obtain miles in particular) - the mere fact that it seems almost everyone posted on this OT, holds an opposite view to your analysis speaks volume. But of course it is up to you to decide if there are some nuggets of truth in others' posts that may make you re-examine your methodology in figuring out the "cost of miles".

Last edited by Happy; Sep 29, 2010 at 7:47 pm
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:28 pm

...t it is very hard when you have people posting just to boost their # of posts.
+1

Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:35 pm

Data Points:

1. Order placed on 9/15 was delivered on 9/24, although the tracking no. was generated on 9/20.
2. Order placed on 9/25 has not been assigned a tracking no. yet -3 working days later.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
May I suggest you spend some time to visit Coupon Connection forum to see what "value" people tag on the miles when they are looking to do a trade?

1.4c per mile is of the high end - that is for AA miles. If it is DL miles, you may get less than 1c per mile in case you are lucky enough to have someone willing to take DL miles from you and offer you something else back.

thehawk75 post 10294 has it summed up right that you are mixing up the cost of mile versus a rebate on a CC.

During the US Airways promo last X'mas, the cost of just miles was at 0.7cent per mile, in case you are not aware because the "thing" that came with miles bonus was really Junk, that nobody would ever buy. So the cost buying the Junk that came with miles bonus was really for just miles.

The reason why I mention about EQM vs RDM is, EQM is always more expensive because you need BIS to earn EQM (well, with some CC you could "buy" part of your way to your status), and BIS always have a much higher cpm cost to obtain than RDM.

There are some serious flaws in your concept / thought on the miles (cost to obtain miles in particular) - the mere fact that it seems almost everyone posted on this OT, holds an opposite view to your analysis speaks volume. But of course it is up to you to decide if there are some nuggets of truth in others' posts that may make you re-examine your methodology in figuring out the "cost of miles".
I might suggest that you are just talking in circles. First it was a statement that you couldn't use credit cards to buy Amex, Visa or MC gift cards. I don't see anyone agreeing with that. Then EQM vs RDM was brought into the conversation, which had no bearing on the conversation. Now we are equating the value of mile obtained thru a retail purchase with the value of a mile obtained thru an exchange on "Coupon Connection." I believe that is apples and oranges. After all, what is the rebate percentage on "Coupon Connection?"
Until then I guess, we'll agree to disagree and the debate abount rebates vs miles/points will rage on. here's to hoping the Mint goes on for quiet so time.

Cheers!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Why don't you just use the Quick Checkout button to avoid such a problem?

Originally Posted by Marathon Man

<snip>
That being said, I just made an order last night and one was canceled because I messed up on the address. Oops! gotta try again. You see, this game is all about careful self-administration of things like CCs used and the like. So, like gift cards, we need to be sure of what we are doing and how/when and that is how we all get these miles.

If things change, we will creatively figure out a way. That's the whole point of this place, innit?

MM
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:33 pm

Yes, posts about purchases and shipping would be fine...
You missed my lame attempt at sarcasm.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:09 am

Secondarily, who said anything about cashing out Amex gift cards? By the way, who can cash out any gift cards?
I work in a job where I often get paid in cash, but am able to ring in the sale using gift cards and keep the cash.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by chimmy826
I work in a job where I often get paid in cash, but am able to ring in the sale using gift cards and keep the cash.
Huh?????

Cheers!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:01 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Huh?????

Cheers!

Any number of possibilities. Obvious examples start with taxi driver or barber. There have got to be tons of jobs - self employed and otherwise - where the worker is the one who collects payment from the customer, and method of payment is often cash but may also be in the form of a credit card sale.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back to the original program - shipment date

Would anyone whose orders start to ship tomorrow please post their order dates?

It seems the cut-off date was Sept 22 instead of Sept 23 as someone mentioned his order(s) placed on Sept 22 has not been shipped yet.

Such data points would be helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.