FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:04 pm
ejs621

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by JumboJ
It still doesn't make any sense. You'd be better off to just give $100 cash than to pay $7 extra to buy the gift card and net 107 miles. Your $7 could buy almost 330 miles directly from the airline. No point in ever paying more than you can simply buy miles for.
I have never recommended buying a gift card that has additional fees.
What I have said was instead pf putting a $100 bill in card, I would rather buy a $100 dollar gift card at a grocery store with a credit card and earn double miles or double points and put that in card. I do not advocate purchasing a gift card that has additional fees! My first statement was in response to a statement that you could NOT use a credit card to purchase am Amex, Vis or MC at a grocery store, which is completely untrue.
That poster then stated that anything more than 1.4 cents a mile was foolish. Dismissing the Mint, I still want to know where you can get a return of 1.4 cents per mile on a purchase. that by the way equates to 71.42 miles per dollar. So instead of getting 200 miles with doubling at grocery store, the poster states that unless you get 7142 miles for that $100 it is a waste of time! What I would like to know, who gives 1.4 cents/mile or on other words 71.42 miles/ dollar for a purchase?????

Now hopefully back to coins and the US Mint!

Cheers!