Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by PatMike
Cancelled ones were 2 different credit cards too (never used for coins), so it seems like a YMMV thing.
What does YMMV mean?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:33 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Originally Posted by dvwing
What does YMMV mean?
A quick google search would bring it up, but it stands for 'your mileage may vary' - sort of a 'your results may vary', but with an FT spin
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by dvwing
What does YMMV mean?
'Your Miles May Vary' -- meaning a certain outcome is not guaranteed -- just because one person experienced something -- it doesn't mean that everyone can count on the same thing.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:51 am

I too recently made a $1000 order which posted with an OFC description. In my current summary it shows that I earned 1000 miles for that.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by psyflyer
I sure hope these are NOT cash advance like transactions as the fees make it a hairy proposition.
Read the FAQ at the top of this Forum.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Had $1000 arrive yesterday, I guess I am back in the game!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by mrpickles
Had $1000 arrive yesterday, I guess I am back in the game!
Better late then never
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Talking

I sat through a pitch by a Chase banker who was trying to sell me on one of their new reward debit cards. I only agreed to sit through it because the teller was starting to get annoyed at my deposits. In the good old days I used to have 2 tellers that knew me by name and I used to give out starbucks cards as a token of appreciation. Now I have to work a little harder. BUT I have 2 chase checking accounts each with a real dd, an Amtrak cc and the BA cc. My relationship is solid with them. The manager asked me for documentation last year so I gave her receipts for 35k and told her keep the change.

I don't think this 1k every 10 days limit is going to last. In the short term it will help solve their inventory woes but in 2-3 months the coins will start piling up at the mint. You might start seeing a 5-8k monthly limits or even 10k because these coins are not catching on with the american public. I'm curious if anyone has a different idea of what the Mint will think up next?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 4:04 am

I think at some point they'll ditch the whole effort. These coins are definitely not catching on. No one seems to like receiving them when I make payment with them and other than from a vending machine at transportation centers, I have never been given them for change.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 4:50 am

Talking

Originally Posted by beachmiles
What do you think Mike. My deliveries will be dropping from $2500 to exactly $1,000. Will that improve my chance of the driver leaving it with just a note on the door.

The bad thing about $1,000 is , it's easier for someone to grab it off the porch and run.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happy2traveler202
I think at some point they'll ditch the whole effort. These coins are definitely not catching on. No one seems to like receiving them when I make payment with them and other than from a vending machine at transportation centers, I have never been given them for change.
Really? I find that a LOT of places are liking these. I use them at the farmers' market every weekend and they draw interest immediately. I think in a cash-based business with small dollar amounts, they're really useful. Plenty of other vendors appreciate them also. There are some here and there who don't get it, but I get mostly positive results.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
I don't think there's much chance of that happening. It is exceedingly rare for a congressional project to get derailed merely because it has run smack into reality, and Congresscritters generally think they can legislate reality anyway. After all, the purpose of the presidential dollar coin program was to increase interest in and circulation of the Sacagawea dollars.

I'm not saying dollar coins are a bad idea, but so long as dollar bills are printed, the Mint has a tough row to hoe. So, as a good citizen, I'll keep spending them so long as they'll sell them to me. I've spent many, many dollar coins, but I've never gotten one back in change either.

Andyandy
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
This is definitely NOT true. I have been distributing these coins as change at 2 of my car washes in SoCal for several months now. While there is definitely a percentage of people who refuse them and ask for $1 bills (and we always comply with that request), a growing percentage of people do accept them, find them pretty cool, and occasionally buy entire $25 rolls from us.

I agree 100% that until vending machines, parking meters, etc start accepting the $1 coins, they will never be "widely" in use, but its a growing effort, its worth the cost/expense (since coins last so much longer than paper and are cheaper to produce), and I believe that they will slowly gain much wider acceptance. To expect people to change habits quickly is unrealistic.

For small cash transactions, they are great. But for larger purchases, of course not going to be used (but then, unless you're at a strip club or something, you wouldnt use 50 $1 bills either I assume).
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
With the growing use of credit and debit cards for the smallest of purchases ($1 at a 7-11), just how big is the farmers market and other small cash only purchase marketplace's that would make these coins accepted? Carrying 3-4 of the coins is annoying. Unless a Wal-Mart or other big retailer signs up to promote and circulate these coins; it's going to be a long long time before these coins are accepted as a dollar without people taking a second look to see if it's an actual US Dollar.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlemookie
With the growing use of credit and debit cards for the smallest of purchases ($1 at a 7-11), just how big is the farmers market and other small cash only purchase marketplace's that would make these coins accepted? Carrying 3-4 of the coins is annoying. Unless a Wal-Mart or other big retailer signs up to promote and circulate these coins; it's going to be a long long time before these coins are accepted as a dollar without people taking a second look to see if it's an actual US Dollar.
Right - my use isn't changing the statistics. But my point is, people don't generally refuse them or even frown upon them.

They're SO much better for a merchant than a credit card if the purchase is in the $1 range. With a cc, the fees eat up at least 20% of the transaction if it's a dollar. But the contractual obligations with the cc processors make sure that if the card is accepted ever, it has to be accepted always.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.