Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
They can make you bag them or cause other hassles (make you stand there as they count them one-at-a-time, etc) but they CANNOT charge any fees for payments with legal tender toward outstanding debts. I posted on this a while ago with a link... if you can't find it, have a google search or I can look again.
I suppose this would go for paying an Amex bill at an American Express Travel Service Office, right?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, OnePass Gold, OneWorld
Originally Posted by aviators99
I suppose this would go for paying an Amex bill at an American Express Travel Service Office, right?
From AMEX web site:

Cardmembers may pay their American Express bill in person at these Travel Offices. The payment is not credited in the office. It is accepted as a courtesy only and then forwarded to the American Express Remittance Center for processing. The customer’s cheque is the receipt. Restrictions apply by market. Please call the office directly to verify policies and availability.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:45 pm

USmint website and other thoughts....

Originally Posted by jdivenere
Is anyone else having issues accessing the mint's website today? I can't get it to load...
They launched a new Lincoln commemorative set today at Noon Eastern. Only 50k available. I managed to get one but took a real long time to load each page. The site was just bogged down due to traffic.

I have been lurking on this thread for quite some time and finally will add my two cents...

3rd month for me and next month I will max out my 100k AA miles earning for the year. I will then turn to my PC card.

I use my Credit Union and they accept them rolled and have not raised any issues. I use the branch in a Wal-mart and so use a shopping cart to wheel the boxes, unopened, into the branch.

I then break down both the big and small boxes and leave them lying flat in the cart up front by the Service Center. Wal-mart recycles their cardboard and they break them down the same way so it is very easy for one of the floor guys to simply run it back and put it all in the recycler. Again, no issues from them either so far.

After the deposit, I buy each teller a candy bar of their choice.

One teller actually took the stack of white plastic holders from my last deposit (72) and took them to her child's art teacher. They did use them for some art project and she took all of them again. Something to keep in mind next time your make your deposit.

I, too, worry that too much posting here will attract unwanted attention and may cause cancellation of program from Mint or limits from the CC companies. This is why I have not posted till now and probably will not post again unless absolutely needed. I wish others will do the same so we do not cut off this wonderful mileage builder. Please think about this. I think we have just about covered every issue so little if anything else needs to be discussed. IMHO.

My two pennies,
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
So it's not a run on the dollar coins slowing the site down today. Good! I just placed 3 orders which are numbered 2000 and 1300 apart. My last batch the order number difference was 15 and 8.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Another problem - I was able to get through to checkout and completed the transaction although the site was very slow. Now under the order status, it says "Your order request has been suspended." Then down below in the Item Status, it shows In Stock and Reserve, but the cancel box is disabled. This is the first time I have seen this. Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by buschoi
Another problem - I was able to get through to checkout and completed the transaction although the site was very slow. Now under the order status, it says "Your order request has been suspended." Then down below in the Item Status, it shows In Stock and Reserve, but the cancel box is disabled. This is the first time I have seen this. Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks.
Are you sure you actually placed the order? I've seen that when I did everything except press the "place order" button and then let the 30 minute site timeout log me out. The items remained in my cart When I went through the order process again the suspended order went away and I got a new order number.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:06 pm

Do your credit cards have any local branches (Chase, Citi, etc)? If you're stuck with the coins, they are required to take the coins (legal tender) as pmt for your debts... or even for your mortgate.
I have local Chase banks and have made a payment on a card for $5k before. They gave me all kinds of dirty looks and called me later and said they didn't have the vault space for the coins so they couldn't take them anymore.
I didn't push the issue of 'it's a debt payment so take it', but figured I'd use that as a last resort if needed one day.

I still wonder though if a bank has to take it? The debt is to the CC, not that bank branch.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by LLM
Don't do it - they charge mucho for business coin deposits.
Do they not charge for personal account coin deposits? I ask because I have a Chase business card and a new Chase branch opening right by my house. They're offering me a $200 bonus if I open a free business account.

Should I open a personal account as well and run coins through that one instead of the business one?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:14 pm

Do your credit cards have any local branches (Chase, Citi, etc)? If you're stuck with the coins, they are required to take the coins (legal tender) as pmt for your debts... or even for your mortgate.
Do you have to come with a printed CC statement to pay it off at the branch? What if you want to free up your credit line midway through the billing cycle? Are they still required to take the payment? If so, do you bring a printout of your current CC activity?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by friedice
Do you have to come with a printed CC statement to pay it off at the branch? What if you want to free up your credit line midway through the billing cycle? Are they still required to take the payment? If so, do you bring a printout of your current CC activity?
With Chase you can either bring in the stub from the top of your statement or just show your account number (card) and have them fill out a form. It's quite easy. I have no idea whether they are required to accept cash.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buschoi

Thanks.
Same here. The confirmation email has not come. It usually comes within seconds. The CC is not authorized either. I think it is because part of the Mint system has been blogged down due to the rush on the limited Lincoln Memorial Set.

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Are you sure you actually placed the order? I've seen that when I did everything except press the "place order" button and then let the 30 minute site timeout log me out. The items remained in my cart When I went through the order process again the suspended order went away and I got a new order number.
Not in my case. The order is definitely placed. I printed out the order page from the Mint site. But email confirmation has not come. After I had not seen CC being authorized, and still no email, I went to Track Order to check the order - and sure enough, I got the identical scenario as buscho i posted. The order is placed after the Mint site has gone back up and seems to function normally. The timestamp on my order confirmation page is printed at 3:04pm.

Per the Mint, if the Suspended description remains after 7 business days, call them.

Based on what buschoi posted, and that I have experienced the same thing, I would attribute this to the system has some function gone down - i.e. it cannot perform CC verification / authorization immediately - because I know I definitely have placed the order, and the chance for both buschoi and I to make error in CC information entry, is very slim.

EDIT:

Email confirmation has arrived, and Order Status now changed to On Hold. However, the CC is still not authorized. Normally if the coins are in stock, the CC would be authorized immediately after order placement. I am using a rarely used Freedom for this order and fully expect Chase Fraud Dept might call to verify the charge!

Last edited by Happy; Oct 15, 2009 at 2:44 pm
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:30 pm

With Chase you can either bring in the stub from the top of your statement or just show your account number (card) and have them fill out a form. It's quite easy. I have no idea whether they are required to accept cash.
What about paying off a balance to free up credit line before the statement closes?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about paying off a balance to free up credit line before the statement closes?
Show the Chase branch your card and they'll fill out the form with the account number. You then pay and leave. It's simple -- unless they give you a hard time about the coins
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Yup, as long as it'd debt incurred (not pre-payments so you have a negative balance), you can pay it whenever. They just need your account info, as xyzzy stated. However, if they're still taking the coins as deposits into a checking/saving account, you're better off putting the $ into an interest-earning account until the date the card is due. That is, however, unless you want to pay the card early and churn more
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Show the Chase branch your card and they'll fill out the form with the account number. You then pay and leave. It's simple -- unless they give you a hard time about the coins
Yup, as long as it'd debt incurred (not pre-payments so you have a negative balance), you can pay it whenever. They just need your account info, as xyzzy stated. However, if they're still taking the coins as deposits into a checking/saving account, you're better off putting the $ into an interest-earning account until the date the card is due. That is, however, unless you want to pay the card early and churn more
My guess is friedice really wants to know is, Has any of you actually DONE that in action - i.e. paying your CC by COINS, instead of talking about the Normal form of payment, i.e. by Check or by paper bills.

So far, I have only read about ONE single example that $5K coins were used to pay off CC but it was such an inconvenience that the poster would only use it as the Last Resort. Read Post 5377.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.