Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:51 pm

Programs: EK Gold
So you guys are ordering the coins to put them on your bank account for the point you get on your cc's right?

Wouldn't it be easier to make an ebay auction for something that doesn't excist and make a buy now price of $10.000, immediately buy it and then pay it to your second paypal account with the first one which is linked to your cc?

Just a thought, or wouldn't that work?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by Euc-
Just a thought, or wouldn't that work?
Since PayPal charges a fee to accept credit cards, and eBay charges fees for listings, no, that wouldn't work - the concept here is to get the miles/cashback for free. Buying these coins from the Mint costs exactly the face value of the coins, since shipping is free... the only cost is that involved with going to the bank to deposit them. Trying to pay yourself with a credit card is solely a losing battle.

Also, PayPal is owned by eBay. They are relatively savvy about people with multiple accounts trying to pay themselves.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: EK Gold
And here I was thinking I had a brilliant idea
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
So what are the odds I can get an order filled and to my door within 2 weeks? I'm leaving for an extended vacation about then and would rather not have several thousand $ worth of coins in limbo both on the doorstep and on my credit card for the 3 or 4 weeks I'll be unable to deal with them. Judging from the wild variations in shipping time, probably not worth the risk eh? Just wanting to take advantage of the apparent relaxation of order limits before they become un-relaxed once again.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 1:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by brasov02
So what are the odds I can get an order filled and to my door within 2 weeks? I'm leaving for an extended vacation about then and would rather not have several thousand $ worth of coins in limbo both on the doorstep and on my credit card for the 3 or 4 weeks I'll be unable to deal with them.
Would not take the risk.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 2:35 am

Programs: Too Many to Count
So what are the odds I can get an order filled and to my door within 2 weeks? I'm leaving for an extended vacation about then and would rather not have several thousand $ worth of coins in limbo both on the doorstep and on my credit card for the 3 or 4 weeks I'll be unable to deal with them. Judging from the wild variations in shipping time, probably not worth the risk eh? Just wanting to take advantage of the apparent relaxation of order limits before they become un-relaxed once again.
Yeah, dont do it. Money, if shipped, can't be insured so you could end up in a bad spot (in a worst case kind of scenario).
Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:26 am

Programs: AS 100k, AA MM, HH Dia
So what are the odds I can get an order filled and to my door within 2 weeks?
Seems like the NA dollars are shipping very fast right now. I placed an order on Tuesday and received my tracking number Friday with scheduled delivery of Monday morning. Perhaps you could place an order and if it doesn't update to shipped by a week before you leave, call and cancel it and just wait till you come back...
Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:42 am

Programs: United 1K
I'd wait until you return from vacation to place your order.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 8:50 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It will be good 3-4 weeks to worry about during the vacation... I would just enjoy the trip and not risk it. We are talking about cash here, and I would always take the conservative approach.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by leroix
Seems like the NA dollars are shipping very fast right now. I placed an order on Tuesday and received my tracking number Friday with scheduled delivery of Monday morning. Perhaps you could place an order and if it doesn't update to shipped by a week before you leave, call and cancel it and just wait till you come back...
Yeah...NA dollars are shipping fast. My last order was placed on Monday of this week and I deposited that 5k order yesterday morning. Like others have said, just cancel it if it doesn't ship before you leave for vacation. Or...just wait.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 7:11 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

well I finally made it through my first order and deposit. bank teller asked if I used to collect and now stopped and I just said it was a long story.

first order was NA 250 and took weeks to show up. second was 500+ and came overnight. so far so good
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:39 am

Apparently, I'm officially known as "The Coin Guy" at my local TD Banks.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by fly2nrt
Apparently, I'm officially known as "The Coin Guy" at my local TD Banks.
Ha Ha. I am known as the "Coin Lady". They are at the point now where they don't even open the boxes. They just take them and the deposit slip from me. I also asked if anyone else is doing this and they said "No".
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
Ha Ha. I am known as the "Coin Lady". They are at the point now where they don't even open the boxes. They just take them and the deposit slip from me. I also asked if anyone else is doing this and they said "No".
Mine don't open the box either...
Old Jun 21, 2009, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by fly2nrt
Mine don't open the box either...
Are y'all taking them to the bank still sealed in the boxes from The Mint? I always take two $250 boxes and put all $500 in coins in one box; it makes transportation much easier (if you stand the rolls on end, they're easier to get 500 into a box).

My one bank loves it when I take them coins, especially Pres coins. Unfortunately, it's a bit farther away. The more convenient location despises me (except for the one manager) but they still take them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.