Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Has anyone ever contacted the Mint about getting larger quantities than the $1K every 10 days for business purposes? In my business I could easily go through $10K a month (in change, etc), but it's not worth ordering with different cards, to different addresses, etc. Has anyone had them agree to ship larger quantities for business purchases? Any advice?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by DavidAL
Has anyone ever contacted the Mint about getting larger quantities than the $1K every 10 days for business purposes? In my business I could easily go through $10K a month (in change, etc), but it's not worth ordering with different cards, to different addresses, etc. Has anyone had them agree to ship larger quantities for business purchases? Any advice?
Call and ask for an exception if you have a legitimate business purpose
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Approximately two weeks ago I submitted a request to receive $2,000 of $1 coins every 10 days for business purposes. After 5 days the Mint requested additional information about my business (E.I.N., physical address, etc.) which I immeadiately provided. Several days later they denied my request for an exemption, citing the limited number of $1 coins available for distribution. Definitely felt that I had been jerked around.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Call and ask for an exception if you have a legitimate business purpose
As I understand it, you have to write. The email address is on the website under the direct ship program info.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
The info is on the mints site on how to email for an exemption. It used to be easy to get one, but from recent posts on this thread, it sounds like they aren't granting them anymore.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I can tell you they are sure taking them away fast!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Dang! I have to call the mint to straighten out my order. I got all excited when I saw George was available, so I ordered some. But then the next day I saw he was unavailable and my order hadn't processed yet so I cancelled the order and entered an order for something that was available.

However, I just got an email that my CC was declined on the new order. So I think what happened is that my CC was pre-authorized on the cancelled order. My bank gave me the date & time stamp the order was authorized. I'm thinking the mint should be able to find that & apply it to the new order.

Did I panic prematurely? If my order says the coins are "reserved" for my order, is that usually accurate even though they show sold out or back ordered on the ordering page?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: UA Frontier SWA
Placed an order June 24th and showed reserved until today. Just recieved an e-mail that CC has been declined. It is a Chase Card, this was second purchase on this card. Is Chase flagging coin orders?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by lbren979
Placed an order June 24th and showed reserved until today. Just recieved an e-mail that CC has been declined. It is a Chase Card, this was second purchase on this card. Is Chase flagging coin orders?
I think I've seen reports that Chase can take AA if your coin buying pattern is "obvious" and extensive on your card, and can even close accounts. You might want to try your card somewhere else to make sure it's still working. I *don't* think they have/can deny just the coin purchases, but the bad news is they may just pull the plug on your card.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by lbren979
If this were the case, I think it more likely that Chase would emulate US Bank and simply not give rewards on Mint purchases; or alternatively, treat them as cash advances, which, if we are honest with ourselves, truly they are.

That said, here's hoping that they DON'T - thanks to the Mint, I'm closing in on my second BA 2-for-1 for the year!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Chase declined

2 orders (2 Chase CC's) placed about 8 days ago.

Got e-mails from Mint that CC was declined.

Been doing this for several months. Spend is 50% coin and 50% other

Will call Chase later to see what's up.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:30 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
2 orders (2 Chase CC's) placed about 8 days ago.

Got e-mails from Mint that CC was declined.

Been doing this for several months. Spend is 50% coin and 50% other

Will call Chase later to see what's up.
I doubt if your card was declined. The Mint has a generic message that the card was declined when it cancels an order. All of us who have ordered have had cancellations with this message even when we thought we were within the 10 day window. Certainly call the credit card issuer to be sure. One very cool thing about the Mint is that there are never any hard feelings. Wait until 10 days after the credit card authorization (if any) from the cancelled order and order again and it will likely go through.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Andy2
I doubt if your card was declined. The Mint has a generic message that the card was declined when it cancels an order. All of us who have ordered have had cancellations with this message even when we thought we were within the 10 day window. Certainly call the credit card issuer to be sure. One very cool thing about the Mint is that there are never any hard feelings. Wait until 10 days after the credit card authorization (if any) from the cancelled order and order again and it will likely go through.
You are absolutely right. I called Chase and they said "no problem here".

I called the mint, and I was within the 10 days of last order shipped, so it was declined.

I asked if their policy was 10 days from last order, or 10 days from last ship, and she was positive it was ship.

In this case, this order was placed more than 10 days from my last order, but less that 10 from ship.

I asked her to cancel my (declined) orders, and she said to place a new order online, since it was now >10 days since last order shipped.

Last edited by nachosdelux; Jul 12, 2011 at 7:44 am Reason: clarity
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:46 am

nachosdelux- thanks for getting the clarification on the 10 day rule.

Now I have to wait for whenever the mint can get around to ship my order...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Southwest
Originally Posted by Andy2

I've also gotten a "your credit card is declined" e-mail from the Mint - and yes, like you said, it's a generic all-purpose "there's a problem" e-mail. I called the Mint and actually got a very helpful customer service rep, after about a five minute wait. In my case, the problem was a misunderstanding with the ten-day waiting period between orders.

The Mint customer rep confirmed to me that they are now defining the 10-day waiting period between orders as being measured from the *shipping* date, not the *order* date. I had ordered some coins on June 22 - the order was accepted, but put on hold. I made another order on July 5, definitely waiting ten days - but the first order still hadn't shipped. That will now raise a flag in the Mint's order handling system.

Bottom line - you have to wait for your order to ship, THEN wait ten days, before placing a new order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.