Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Amex & Visa Serve Master Thread (2024 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & Visa Serve Master Thread (2024 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Often if you wait for over 24 hours, and then try again, the VGC will have been "unblocked" and you can often swipe them successfully again.
I did try that. I waited over 24 hours, then tried a small (pack of gum) test swipe. Still declined. Ordered a replacement, and it was FedEx shipped to me. Received it something like 5 business days later. Straight to WM, test swipe for $1 at SCO (used split payment to test exactly $1) which worked... walked over to the CS counter and drained $499 to my debit. No further issues.
jasmians likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by jasmians
I have few which worked for serve load and few are not. I ordered replacement card and still the same issue. Do they work anywhere?
Don't do $500 swipes. Seems to be a trigger for some kind of security block. I have had a 100% success rate if I start with a $499 swipe. However, if I do a $500 swipe, the card gets blocked about half the time. Often unblocks after 24 hours. Only once I had to replace the card (see my post above)
Old Feb 2, 2024, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Conversely, I've done nothing but $500 swipes. As you said, it does randomly block you (I would guess this is the more aggressive predictive blocking we saw starting last Christmas). Mine do not unblock no matter how much waiting, but none of my replacements ever fail to go through. However I do notice I only get a block when I buy 4 or more cards from the same source no matter how the transactions are split. It's not hard to imagine if you're attempting to guess and preventatively block suspicious transactions (regardless of the inconvenience to your customers) you don't want a large amount all loaded from the same source and spent all at the same destination merchant.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Conversely, I've done nothing but $500 swipes. As you said, it does randomly block you (I would guess this is the more aggressive predictive blocking we saw starting last Christmas). Mine do not unblock no matter how much waiting, but none of my replacements ever fail to go through. However I do notice I only get a block when I buy 4 or more cards from the same source no matter how the transactions are split. It's not hard to imagine if you're attempting to guess and preventatively block suspicious transactions (regardless of the inconvenience to your customers) you don't want a large amount all loaded from the same source and spent all at the same destination merchant.
I bought one card, from SW. Just the one. Swipe 500 and blocked. YMMV
msp3 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:02 am

Staples VGC to WM Serve load

Have some interesting DPs I guess. I got a $200 and a $490 VGC from Staples. The $200 was Sunrise/BHN which was new as I usually only see Metabank/BHN like the $490 that I got. Less than an hour after purchase I made a less than $1 purchase at a grocery store on the $490 card. After that I went to a WM and successfully loaded the $200 card for the full amount, single swipe. A few hours later I went to a different WM and tried to load $489 to Serve with the other card, but I got "debit not available". I remember reading something about a potential $480 cap so I asked to try again at $480. Still failed. I then went to a FD and was able to load the full $489 no problem. From this I wonder if that WM was just bad luck and the first WM might still work for a big single load to Serve. I'll have to try again at the first WM with a $479 card and see. It's also possible that the first WM only worked because it was a Sunrise/BHN instead of Metabank. I should note that I was able to fully drain a $469 Metabank/BHN at a grocery store for a MO single swipe. Hopefully the first WM works as it's close to my Staples and would make it a nice quick route. Interested to hear others experiences and any tips about whether it was the amount that was the problem.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by hear
Have some interesting DPs I guess. I got a $200 and a $490 VGC from Staples. The $200 was Sunrise/BHN which was new as I usually only see Metabank/BHN like the $490 that I got. Less than an hour after purchase I made a less than $1 purchase at a grocery store on the $490 card. After that I went to a WM and successfully loaded the $200 card for the full amount, single swipe. A few hours later I went to a different WM and tried to load $489 to Serve with the other card, but I got "debit not available". I remember reading something about a potential $480 cap so I asked to try again at $480. Still failed. I then went to a FD and was able to load the full $489 no problem. From this I wonder if that WM was just bad luck and the first WM might still work for a big single load to Serve. I'll have to try again at the first WM with a $479 card and see. It's also possible that the first WM only worked because it was a Sunrise/BHN instead of Metabank. I should note that I was able to fully drain a $469 Metabank/BHN at a grocery store for a MO single swipe. Hopefully the first WM works as it's close to my Staples and would make it a nice quick route. Interested to hear others experiences and any tips about whether it was the amount that was the problem.
Update to the above: Tried a $460 Staples VGC at WM 1 and got "tender not available"

I did it only like 10 minutes after buying it so I'll give it 1 more try tomorrow. The card works for a normal purchase.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 9:41 am

I have a situation and need some help. I loaded $400 on each of my serve cards earlier in the day yesterday, $800 total. Then I went to a Money Pass network ATM branch to withdraw in $80 transactions. On my first serve card, successfully withdrew all of the $400 in 5 consecutive $80 transaction. ATM returned card, receipts printed for each transaction, no problems so far. Every $80 transaction essentially dispensed the funds within about 5-10 seconds.
I then inserted my 2nd serve card into slot, punch in pin, select cash withdrawal, select checking, select $80 and hit continue, and lo and behold, the machine freezes for nearly 45 seconds. After about 45 seconds, some error is printed on the ATM screen/terminal, the machine returns my serve card, and no receipt is printed (the cash dispensing receptacle never opens).
The location had 2 ATM so I moved to the 2nd unit and proceeded to withdraw what I assumed would still be my total $400 from the card in 5 consecutive transactions. The first four $80 transactions went through, and I got $320. The last one printed a receipt saying, "unable to process transaction at this time." Thinking that I hit a 5 consecutive transaction limit, I though I'm probably done here (I thought the transaction attempt that froze was still counted as a valid transaction attempt even though nothing was dispensed). As a last-ditch effort, I moved back to the first ATM unit (which froze), decided to test with a $60 withdrawal, but it printed the same message on the receipt "unable to process transaction at this time" and returned my card. I should have checked the serve app at this time on my phone but didn't thinking I still have $80 in there. I left all the branch, and all my receipts, and I went to a neighboring CapitalOne bank ATM, and proceeded to withdraw $80, and it said, "not authorized." This had never happened and now I checked the balance on both my serve accounts using the app. All had been drained.

I went back to the first bank where the ATM froze. I collected all the receipts which I left in the trash (luckily, they were all still there). So, the first ATM has sequential record numbers printed on the receipts for all the 5 times it dispensed $80 from my first serve card (let's call these records 1 through 5). Then the machine froze (transaction record 6), and my final attempt with $60 printed record number 7. So, I figure that the transaction when the machine froze (record #6) would be associated with the record number for which the receipt did not print and when money got deducted from my serve account and did not get dispensed.

I tried calling Serve and explaining that I have an $80 transaction that failed to dispense. They guy on the phone sounded so clueless when I tried explaining this and I have a feeling the dispute that was filed will not get any attention. What is my recourse here? How do I get my money back? I called the bank where the ATM (which froze) is present and explained to them this situation this morning, but they are also saying that I need to call and put in a dispute with the company on the back of the card (which sounded like another dead-end) ... The dispute is in progress with Serve but I do not have any confidence in their ability to fight for me and to do the right thing.

Any suggestions?
Old Feb 9, 2024, 10:30 am

Sounds like the bank's responsibility.

Also, this is a really bad way to get money out of Serve.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Sounds like the bank's responsibility.

Also, this is a really bad way to get money out of Serve.
Which bank's responsibility ? Yeah I get it, $80 transactions, so many of them in a row is not a good idea. But in my opinion, it is still better than transferring the money from the serve account to my bank account.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by hear
Update to the above: Tried a $460 Staples VGC at WM 1 and got "tender not available" I did it only like 10 minutes after buying it so I'll give it 1 more try tomorrow. The card works for a normal purchase.
Tried again and failed at both $459 and $200. Safe to say that the $200 load worked because of the Sunrise/BHN VGC. I guess I'll buy those until they run out, since I'm pretty sure it's old stock.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:17 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by joewynton
Which bank's responsibility ? Yeah I get it, $80 transactions, so many of them in a row is not a good idea. But in my opinion, it is still better than transferring the money from the serve account to my bank account.
Please remember that all of your transactions have also been videoed. I would go into the bank with your receipts and app and talk to the manager. You will have to do a lot of explaining as to why you are doing so many $80 withdrawals all at the same time and why you have 2 Serve cards, but I really can't see how Serve is going to help you. The problem was with the ATM not dispensing your money.
Good luck.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Loading failed at cvs and WG for serve. Tried staples 200 VGC. anyone having same issue?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Please remember that all of your transactions have also been videoed. I would go into the bank with your receipts and app and talk to the manager. You will have to do a lot of explaining as to why you are doing so many $80 withdrawals all at the same time and why you have 2 Serve cards, but I really can't see how Serve is going to help you. The problem was with the ATM not dispensing your money.
Good luck.
The Bank where the ATM is located suggested that I file a dispute with Serve. Serve finally was able to file a dispute on the problematic ATM withdrawal.
I documented everything, including a table of events indicating which withdrawal attempt froze and all other valid surrounding withdrawals. Somewhere between Serve and the Bank they need to figure out what to do and replenish my account with the $80. And yes, the explanation is that I needed the amount in cash. I wouldn't be making small $80 transactions if I was allowed to withdraw funds with in larger amounts.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 11:50 pm

does serve billpay have a monthly limit?
I tried to do billpays totaling $5001 and got an error saying i m over my monthly limit. but if i change the amount to $5000 it goes through fine.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by zaxon
does serve billpay have a monthly limit?... got an error saying i m over my monthly limit...
um...You literally just answered your own question.
cuthroat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.