Wiki Posts
Search

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2024 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:26 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by theroz
Hubby purchased VGCs @ SM (fee free) and emailed Simon as told to, this was 2 weeks ago and havent heard nothin since , we even left a couple of VMs.

Is there any way to move this along? or are we doomed to only 500s at a mall?
I do not recall any fee free deal at Simon Online since the middle of last year. Are you sure it was Simon and not Vanilla (who did run a fee free deal last month)
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by theroz
Hubby purchased VGCs @ SM (fee free) and emailed Simon as told to, this was 2 weeks ago and havent heard nothin since , we even left a couple of VMs.

Is there any way to move this along? or are we doomed to only 500s at a mall?
they are the worst with responses!!!
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by soy
I do not recall any fee free deal at Simon Online since the middle of last year. Are you sure it was Simon and not Vanilla (who did run a fee free deal last month)
when you apply online for an account, they email you telling you to go to a mall and purchase 2K min and 10K max and the fee for this 1 time will be removed and it was, then you are suppose to email them letting them when and where you made the purchase. Hubby did but we havent heard anything from SM fwiw hubby also emailed them once he got the email that he made a purchase in Nov and didnt hear back either. Then rereading the email he realized there wouldnt be any fees so he went and made the purchase
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hyatt
Did you try calling the support number shown when you login?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by cripps
Did you try calling the support number shown when you login?

thats the # we've been calling and leaving a VM on
Old Jan 10, 2024, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
SailorJoe If you search my threads on this topic, you will find that I posted many times about my trials and tribulations using my Citi card to buy VGCs at Simon mall.
It took several years...yes years to get Citi to stop declining my purchases from Simon, and no matter how often I called prior to purchase and no matter how often the rep on the other side of the line said I was good to go, I wasn't.
I finally gave up using this card and switched to another, but they finally relented ( I guess I paid them on time often enough to get me off the suspect list )
The other infuriating thing with this was that once declined, Simon refused to let me use the card again for that purchase, even when Citi said it was good to go.
My only advice. Use the card organically, pay your bills on time and keep trying. At some point they will stop declining your card, unless you are trying to buy $10K in cards. At that, they may balk.
Thanks. It was actually your posts that sealed the deal for me After a few Citi problems at other places, then reading your posts, that's what made me call and tell them I wanted to use a different card than the one I had originally registered with (the Citi)

What's driving me nuts is The fact that the customer service rep said I don't need to do anything, I can just use any card I want for the initial purchase. However, when I did use a different card for the initial purchase that seems to have caused them to decline my application.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:35 am

When can we expect discounts on fees, etc to come back?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:03 am
soy

Originally Posted by dwCoffee
When can we expect discounts on fees, etc to come back?
Doubt they will come back. When discounts started there was way more competition in the giftcard world
With all the restrictions and limits in the last few years MS'ers have a lot less choice for viable GC sources
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by soy
Doubt they will come back. When discounts started there was way more competition in the giftcard world
With all the restrictions and limits in the last few years MS'ers have a lot less choice for viable GC sources
Thanks. Do you still find these to be useful then at 1K increments... I am not able to buy more than 5 at a time, unfortunately.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:48 pm
soy

Originally Posted by dwCoffee
Thanks. Do you still find these to be useful then at 1K increments... I am not able to buy more than 5 at a time, unfortunately.
They have your name on them and being 1k means many CSR do not even suspect you have a VGC.
Most places near me are single swipe with a couple at 2x swipes. Even then it depends on who is at the desk. So I place a premium on being able to liquidate in as few swipes and as little drama as possible.
For example office 200s are zero cost and can be got with a 5x card, but there is a huge liquidation cost in time/money if you do not have access to places that are super MS friendly

I have a spreadsheet with the costs to buy and liquidate the different VGC and Simon 1k's with a 2x card is competitive from a cpp perspective. Sure there are cheaper options but there is a time and drama cost to those.

In your case being limited to 5 at a time makes the shipping fee rough
05fuelmyopic likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by soy
They have your name on them and being 1k means many CSR do not even suspect you have a VGC.
Most places near me are single swipe with a couple at 2x swipes. Even then it depends on who is at the desk. So I place a premium on being able to liquidate in as few swipes and as little drama as possible.
For example office 200s are zero cost and can be got with a 5x card, but there is a huge liquidation cost in time/money if you do not have access to places that are super MS friendly

I have a spreadsheet with the costs to buy and liquidate the different VGC and Simon 1k's with a 2x card is competitive from a cpp perspective. Sure there are cheaper options but there is a time and drama cost to those.

Totally makes sense. I wonder if they will increase my buying cap once I purchase more often.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by soy

great explanation, thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by soy
office 200s are zero cost and can be got with a 5x card, but there is a huge liquidation cost in time/money if you do not have access to places that are super MS friendly

I have a spreadsheet with the costs to buy and liquidate the different VGC ...
Interesting point of view.

Here's a question. What if you could get $500 InComm cards for no fee, with 4x card. How would you rate that?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by SailorJoe
Interesting point of view.

Here's a question. What if you could get $500 InComm cards for no fee, with 4x card. How would you rate that?
sounds like a good middle ground. Where do you get them? I assume Amex Gold?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by 05fuelmyopic
sounds like a good middle ground. Where do you get them? I assume Amex Gold?
Nah, Amex will gut ya for MS. However, the office 500s soy mentioned for zero fee with the 5X card can be converted to InComm 500s like SS or Vani at WM SCO. Doing so costs $4.94 per 500 gebit, so you give up just under 1%.

Result: you get InComms with a net 4% gain. Some would argue the extra step of going through WM SCM is a drag, but we're going to WM anyway, so we might as well take max advantage of the MS run. Right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.