Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2024 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2024 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2024, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
However, I will give Simon a try since the cards are inexpensive and close by. I just don't wish to dealing with a denied $1000 GC
What is a fee for 1000 Simon VGC?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 12:48 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by NBG007
Check your transaction history of the failed card. Does it show only the initial load or does it show the WM drain and refund as well?. If it is the former, try a normal organic purchase at another store. If that doesn't work, then your card might be dud. That was the case for me.
Also, was it a 2032 or 2031 exp?.
Both cards now don't show any info online or over the phone. They are completely blocked.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
Both cards now don't show any info online or over the phone. They are completely blocked.
You can call and have them release the block. Once released you can try next day. It worked for me for the SS card when the issue started happening. Also for now, i am going to stay away from 2031 and earlier exp cards and SS cards to narrow the issue.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:12 pm

Also for now, i am going to stay away from 2031 and earlier exp cards and SS cards to narrow the issue.
I've liquidated $4k worth of Vanillas with 2031 exp dates this week. All were two swipes at a time, back-to-back. I haven't tried Secure Spend cards yet this week.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by traveltogo
I've liquidated $4k worth of Vanillas with 2031 exp dates this week. All were two swipes at a time, back-to-back. I haven't tried Secure Spend cards yet this week.
Good fortune could be location specific for the being. I remember it was several weeks of people reporting DPs on USBs not working…meanwhile it was BAU for me with over 4 $500 cards a week. Then suddenly I joined the decline party. I just hope these incomms aren’t going down the same path because s.o.l. with no other alternatives
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:32 pm

Do you guys think this has something to do with the City Attorney of SFO law suit against incomm for having lax security features and susceptible to fraud?. The whole issue started after the lawsuit was announced on 11/20. Wondering if incomm tightened the security level on these cards as a result.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:37 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
You can call and have them release the block. Once released you can try next day. It worked for me for the SS card when the issue started happening. Also for now, i am going to stay away from 2031 and earlier exp cards and SS cards to narrow the issue.
I called and released the block. My cards are with 12/30 and 05/32 expiry dates.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:44 pm

Update 1/3/24: Just tried a 2032 exp date vanilla today with normal grocery store spend- one of the card failed (not authorized) and other worked. Tried the failed card in CVS for normal spend- same not authorized failure. When checked online and phone for the failed card- says active with full balance and history is just the initial load.
Me thinks from now on until BAU- going to use the cards for $1-2 in regular spend to test and then do the wM drain. That way, i am not wasting time at wM and the CS having to call someone to void the whole tx. In no time, these multiple fails in wM can screw up the relationship build over the years.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jdpoints
Good fortune could be location specific for the being. I remember it was several weeks of people reporting DPs on USBs not working…meanwhile it was BAU for me with over 4 $500 cards a week. Then suddenly I joined the decline party. I just hope these incomms aren’t going down the same path because s.o.l. with no other alternatives
Same here on the USB cards, and I was draining quite a bit of cards.

But on the Vanillas/SS, two weeks ago there was a sudden glut of declines reported, with just a handful of successful swipes. Now it seems flipped; just a handful of issues being reported with the majority of swipes now being successful. We're certainly not out of the woods yet but at least the DPs are trending in a positive direction.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:19 pm

I tried to repeat my success from last evening. I purchased one $999 MO at WM with two $500 Vanilla Incomm/Sutton swipes of new cards that I purchased at CVS about two hours prior to going to WM. The transaction went through. I then tried to load $1,000 to my Discover account with two swipes. The very first swipe failed. I tried another card and that too failed (debit not available for both cards). I then went to a grocery store, held my breath, and was able to purchase two MO's in two separate transactions with the same cards.

I also received one of the three replacement cards I called about last week. I'm not sure why the other two didn't show up today, as I requested replacements for all three on the same phone call. I suppose they will arrive tomorrow. I'll give the replacement card(s) a try tomorrow.

I'm just not sure why the third Vanilla failed this evening, but not last evening. I used the same expiration date of Vanillas that I purchased yesterday. Might it have something to do with the $1K transaction followed by another $1K transaction versus a $1K transaction followed by a $500 transaction? I'll try the $1K/$500 again tomorrow to test this theory.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
I tried to repeat my success from last evening. I purchased one $999 MO at WM with two $500 Vanilla Incomm/Sutton swipes of new cards that I purchased at CVS about two hours prior to going to WM. The transaction went through. I then tried to load $1,000 to my Discover account with two swipes. The very first swipe failed. I tried another card and that too failed (debit not available for both cards). I then went to a grocery store, held my breath, and was able to purchase two MO's in two separate transactions with the same cards.

I also received one of the three replacement cards I called about last week. I'm not sure why the other two didn't show up today, as I requested replacements for all three on the same phone call. I suppose they will arrive tomorrow. I'll give the replacement card(s) a try tomorrow.

I'm just not sure why the third Vanilla failed this evening, but not last evening. I used the same expiration date of Vanillas that I purchased yesterday. Might it have something to do with the $1K transaction followed by another $1K transaction versus a $1K transaction followed by a $500 transaction? I'll try the $1K/$500 again tomorrow to test this theory.
my theory is that velocity throttle per store/merchant. $1k per an interval (??? minutes). Here is my DP at WMT : received a $499 replacement ( for a twice failed VGC), loaded it to D card without any issue. Held my breath and ask for a $999 MO, just that minute, some junior at the checkout lane asked for help. The lady asked me if it is Ok for her to help the junior. I said go ahead, , came back in 5 mins or so, to continue my MO, two $500 swipe, no issue.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:42 pm

The three I drained yesterday at WM occurred about 80 minutes after I purchased them at CVS.
I bought 4 from cvs today and 8 hours later the first one went through fine but the second one failed.
TTT103 and cuthroat like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 3:17 am

I'm not sure why the other two didn't show up today, as I requested replacements for all three on the same phone call. I suppose they will arrive tomorrow.
Hopefully. Sometimes 3 cards inside one JIRA goes awry.
TTT103 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by liw5215
my theory is that velocity throttle per store/merchant
Per physical store
Old Jan 4, 2024, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by LukFilm
No reports of three or (gasp!) four swipes in one transaction?
No successful reports

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.