Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2024 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2024 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:55 pm

Anyone in the Atlanta area(specifically north OTP) try to get MOs using VGC? I haven't tried in several years since all my WMs stopped allowing VGCs to purchase MOs.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 9:44 pm

For those successful today, were you using fresh VGCs or VGCs that had errored out previously?

I tried MO/serve today using previously errored VGCs but only 1/4 cards worked.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 10:09 pm

After 2 cards declined (1 replaced due to repeated declines on 12/22) I’ve decided to slow down. I purchased SSvgc last week, wait 1hr then do $1 purchase, wait at least 12-24hrs then drain but leave $1 left on card. I then add that remaining $1 to my utility bill payment. I’ve done this with 5 cards between 12/26 and today. Single swipes. No declines. WM One loads and Meijer MO
Old Jan 3, 2024, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Jdpoints
After 2 cards declined (1 replaced due to repeated declines on 12/22) I’ve decided to slow down. I purchased SSvgc last week, wait 1hr then do $1 purchase, wait at least 12-24hrs then drain but leave $1 left on card. I then add that remaining $1 to my utility bill payment. I’ve done this with 5 cards between 12/26 and today. Single swipes. No declines. WM One loads and Meijer MO
I have found that single swipes of VGCs done more than 24 hours after purchase have resulted in no failures for me.
I have not had access to the US Bank VGC, thank God, and have used only SS VGCs purchased at a local pharmacy.as well as Staples VGCs.
However, I will give Simon a try since the cards are inexpensive and close by. I just don't wish to dealing with a denied $1000 GC
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by liw5215
are you able to use your cards this week without any issues?
When I called, they issued replacements. I hope to see them by the end of the week.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Wh0pper
For those successful today, were you using fresh VGCs or VGCs that had errored out previously?

I tried MO/serve today using previously errored VGCs but only 1/4 cards worked.
Three fresh new cards that I purchased a little over an hour earlier.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:35 am

No reports of three or (gasp!) four swipes in one transaction?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:36 am

DP:

Bought 4 SS @ CVS today. Attempted to use them 1:15 later for Discover load all 4 declined.

BIN: 4097 58 - All 4 Ex Date 2/31
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:47 am

FWIW: SS cards so far needed 1 hr wait. Vanilla from certain places require to wait till next day. Not sure if those rules are updated by them recently causing the issues.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by cuthroat
DP:

Bought 4 SS @ CVS today. Attempted to use them 1:15 later for Discover load all 4 declined.

BIN: 4097 58 - All 4 Ex Date 2/31
Starting to think quick drains shortly after 1hr are over. Did you try each card multiple times? Give it 24hrs and at a different WM. If still declining you might have locked them and will need to call for replacement. CSR will say card is fine but it won’t no matter how you try to use it.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:59 am

Starting to think quick drains are over. Did you try each card multiple times? Give it 24hrs and at a different WM. If still declining you might have locked them and will need to call for replacement. CSR will say card is fine but it won’t no matter how you try to use it.
Tried each card just once. Tomorrow I'm heading to another WM and will try and load 24+ hours from my attempts today.

Do you think I should have attempted a 2nd or 3rd swipe on the same card?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:01 am

Tried each card just once. Tomorrow I'm heading to another WM and will try and load 24+ hours from my attempts today.

Ideally you have one card you have NOT tried... but seems that it's too late for that as previously mentioned you may have locked up all the cards unintentionally. Please report back and let us know.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA

I have done one additional swipe on a declined card (for using incorrect pin) and was denied but card was still good 24 hours later.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:46 am

does anyone have dp on incomm and pathward?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:56 am

Starting to think quick drains shortly after 1hr are over. Did you try each card multiple times? Give it 24hrs and at a different WM. If still declining you might have locked them and will need to call for replacement. CSR will say card is fine but it won’t no matter how you try to use it.
The three I drained yesterday at WM occurred about 80 minutes after I purchased them at CVS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.