Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gas Stations that sell GC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
I scoured my part of fly-over country to find a gas station that would allow me to use a credit card but all wanted cash only...
7-11 stores have a rule: If a manager is willing to sell a GC with a CC payment, that manager must be on premises. If you get a flat "no", you may want to ask when a manager may be around to authorize a sale. There's a growing realization in some area clusters that pt collectors are a very low-risk group.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
7-11 stores have a rule: If a manager is willing to sell a GC with a CC payment, that manager must be on premises. If you get a flat "no", you may want to ask when a manager may be around to authorize a sale. There's a growing realization in some area clusters that pt collectors are a very low-risk group.
I've had interesting experiences at the 7-Eleven near my house. I walk up with a gift card and they say "Debit?". First time I acted like I didn't understand the accent, and held up my Citi card. Teller said Debit only I think... I nod and pay with my credit card. He said "Oh, I thought debit only" and hands me my receipt.

Second time, different guy same store, he says "debit" I just nod. Pay with my Chase card. He looks at the receipt and says "oh credit?" Looks upset, looks over the receipt. I ask "everything ok?". He frowns and hands me the gift card and receipt, but is clearly not happy. I won't be going back there. I suspect that guy will be watching for me.

Didn't know there was a policy, thought it was just this store or something.

Anyone know of any other gas station chains that sell GC and might code correctly?
Old Mar 1, 2024, 3:17 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by SailorJoe
I've had interesting experiences at the 7-Eleven near my house. I walk up with a gift card and they say "Debit?". First time I acted like I didn't understand the accent, and held up my Citi card. Teller said Debit only I think... I nod and pay with my credit card. He said "Oh, I thought debit only" and hands me my receipt.

Second time, different guy same store, he says "debit" I just nod. Pay with my Chase card. He looks at the receipt and says "oh credit?" Looks upset, looks over the receipt. I ask "everything ok?". He frowns and hands me the gift card and receipt, but is clearly not happy. I won't be going back there. I suspect that guy will be watching for me.

Didn't know there was a policy, thought it was just this store or something.

Anyone know of any other gas station chains that sell GC and might code correctly?
Consider yourself lucky.
Any you're right, i wouldn't go back there again either
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:47 pm

If you're a user of the Abound (formerly Ft Knox) FCU Visa that gives 5% back at gas stations please PM me.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by dalvigirish
Interesting. As both the cards are issued by visa. visa decides what to code as gas vs grocery and not the card issuer.
Can't say for sure, but one thing I noticed is that the Citi Costco Visa language is "4% on gas" whereas the Chase language is "2% at gas stations". Maybe that's the key?
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by SailorJoe
Besides Speedway obviously...
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:32 pm

Cumberland Farms is my go to gas station, you can get $500 VGC with a $4.95 fee
MaxVO likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by gw14
Good to know. I totally overlooked them up to now. What brand VGCs do they sell (Vanilla, SS)?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by gw14
I've had problems with the VGCs I've been getting at CF over the last month as far as them not working at WM and FD. I had to request replacements for 7 out of 11 cards as they were getting locked after first swipe no mater how much the denominations or low first purchase. This was a combination of Vanilla and SS VGCs.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
I've had problems with the VGCs I've been getting at CF over the last month as far as them not working at WM and FD. I had to request replacements for 7 out of 11 cards as they were getting locked after first swipe no mater how much the denominations or low first purchase. This was a combination of Vanilla and SS VGCs.
This is also happening to me more increasingly with SS VGCs bought at 7-11. I'd say nearly half of them decline, almost to the point that it's not worth my effort anymore. Although I do seem to have slightly more success if I let the VGCs sit and "season" longer. I used to be able to wait 24 hours, now sometimes I just let them sit there for a week before even attempting to use them. Sigh.........this game is getting harder.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
What brand VGCs do they sell (Vanilla, SS)?
Both, but it's ymmv on availability
MaxVO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.