Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2023, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Carried forward from 2019-2022 thread

As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts in the 2019-2022 thread and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

Prior threads can be found here:
2019-2022: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...19-2022-a.html
Prior to 2019: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2022-24)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lovelabs2
Yes….USB Visa GC have good refund policy. Have had several cards replaced for fraud. I bought one today and they have added new security features to the package. It won’t take 14 days for new card…I’ve received them in a week at most. I don’t understand how Vanilla can get away with no refund policy tho for fraud. I would imagine that a chargeback to cc would be plausible since a fraud has been committed…both by scammer and Vanilla…and funds are lost.
tell ya'll, I've carefully checked those cards before purch & liquidated them within the same day as possible
Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:57 pm

Must liquidate within 24 hrs or less…faster the better withal,the scammers.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
I've got a dispute open for one card that looked flawless upon purchase for a vanilla visa bought at walgreens (one of the newer ones). Hackers figured out card number by doing a test purchase on REI website and it was liquidated in less than 24 hours from my purchase of it at a target in California. They have gotten really good at this. I expect to be in a long battle for the funds on this card.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by ricohitman
I've got a dispute open for one card that looked flawless upon purchase for a vanilla visa bought at walgreens (one of the newer ones). Hackers figured out card number by doing a test purchase on REI website and it was liquidated in less than 24 hours from my purchase of it at a target in California. They have gotten really good at this. I expect to be in a long battle for the funds on this card.
sry to hear... if were u, I would also send the claim to them via CFPB filing that could expedite a resolution
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:07 pm

I’m also wondering If filing complaint with state attorney general office will get a refund with fraud on Vanilla VGC. I filed complaint online with AG office for a physical USB Visa GC bought online that wouldn’t activate. BHN kept telling me was activated but always declined. Received a check for full balance from BHN… PDQ when AG office contacted them. 😍
Old Jan 10, 2022, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Lovelabs2
I’m also wondering If filing complaint with state attorney general office will get a refund with fraud on Vanilla VGC. I filed complaint online with AG office for a physical USB Visa GC bought online that wouldn’t activate. BHN kept telling me was activated but always declined. Received a check for full balance from BHN… PDQ when AG office contacted them. 😍
did u file with CFPB first, or just choose AG?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 3:29 pm

Filed with just AG office. Received check from BHN within a month of filing. Wouldn’t hurt to file with both AG n CFPB I guess. I’ve learned from other sites that AG office filing is faster.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:06 pm

Smile

SS's work at MC/CS for everything. First 4 should be 4097 or 4118
There's a lot of conflicting data here so let me clear things up:

Vanilla visas with expirations greater than 05/29 will have either 4118 or 4097 and are WM friendly. These can be found at various places, but a lot of them have activation times.

i.e. vanilla visas bought at speedway or 7-11 have activation times. Don't purchase them then try to walk across the street and cas-hout. I've had some vanillas purchased at 7-11 that have taken more than 24 hours to activate. Eventually they work.

Conversely, vanilla visas bought at CVS are activated immediately and you CAN walk across the street and cash-out.
You ROCK Sir. Many, MANY thanks for "Spoon-Feeding" me this valuable information, (specifically 22,500 UR's across a Flex + 2 old F5's & $75.00 Cashback from Discover in 1Q 2022).

Tested it today and "All Good" @ a very MS* unfriendly WM.

Cheers,

Chris
Old Jan 12, 2022, 3:26 pm

damn so many threads are filled with vgc scam at krogger, safeway..
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:28 pm

Remember if the register ever pops open, it means they owe your money on the spot. Make sure to get your cash before you leave the counter.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by jn in ca
Outrageous. Complaints to CFPB should follow, at least. I just had that happen on a USB VGC, and USB handled it pretty well. It took a 30 minute wait to get a live person, but once I got through it was pretty painless. CSR explained that my card # had been compromised before I even bought the card, so the card was flagged (to keep the thief from trying the number again after I loaded it) and I'd have to have USB mail me a replacement card, for full $500 value.

My only complaint was the CSR claimed it takes 14 days for the replacement card to arrive. I sure hope USB is faster than that.
I have had that happen before too with an USB VGC. What I do now is that after I buy the cards and go to my car, I open them up and call the customer service line immediately to see if I can check the balance. If I can check the balance the card is good. However if it gives me an error and asks me to re-enter the card number and redirects me to a live customer service agent, I know the card has been compromised before the card was even activated. I remember an example recently where I bought the USB VGC on 11/29 and the CSR rep told me it was used for some X amount on 11/23 which I don't really understand how this happens and like you mentioned USB sent me a replacement card for the full $500 value and took about 5-7 business days.

Another suggestion is even if the cards are solid but u don't have time to liquidate that exact day, I would register the cards with your name and address so that even if it did get compromised USB can verify that it is you and confirm if the transaction makes sense especially if the fraudulent purchase was made in person in another state.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Jan 15, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:53 pm
sow

Denied for Money orders>3000

Was wondering if anyone ran into something similar. I know there isn’t much recourse if you’re using gift cards, but I’m using a rewards debit to purchase MO, so a real bank debit, no split tender.

I recently started doing 8k in one transaction. However, after a few weeks of doing this once/week, I got told by a 20 yr tenured MC clerk to stop (it’s a federal crime bla bla bla). They said the max mo allowed in a visit by the system is 3k. Took the 3k and doing the rest at other stores for now…she has to retire someday.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Chris58
You ROCK Sir. Many, MANY thanks for "Spoon-Feeding" me this valuable information, (specifically 22,500 UR's across a Flex + 2 old F5's & $75.00 Cashback from Discover in 1Q 2022).

Tested it today and "All Good" @ a very MS* unfriendly WM.

Cheers,

Chris
Do I get it right whether it's WM friendly is defined by those numbers and expiration date, not whether it's Secure Spend or not?
Also, are there any similar rules for Mastercard?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I have had that happen before too with an USB VGC. What I do now is that after I buy the cards and go to my card, I open them up and call the customer service line to see if I can check the balance. If I can check the balance the card is good. However if it gives me an error and asks me to re-enter the card number and redirects me to a live customer service agent, I know the card has been compromised before the card was even activated. I remember an example recently where I bought the USB VGC on 11/29 and the CSR rep told me it was used for some X amount on 11/23 which I don't really understand how this happens and like you mentioned USB sent me a replacement card for the full $500 value and took about 5-7 business days.

Another suggestion is even if the cards are solid but u don't have time to liquidate that exact day, I would register the cards with your name and address so that even if it did get compromised USB can verify that it is you and confirm if the transaction makes sense especially if the fraudulent purchase was made in person in another state.
Yes…that is exactly how it works…..if can’t check balance with auto system the card has been hacked already. Smart to register card if not liquidate same day. Have to try to stay ahead of the scammers who are very vigilant hacking cards.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by slickdude1234
damn so many threads are filled with vgc scam at krogger, safeway..
Yes….all grocery stores are main target for the scammers unfortunately. I stick to Vanilla from CVS with no problems and buy from Kroger/Safeway only rarely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.