Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2023, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Carried forward from 2019-2022 thread

As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts in the 2019-2022 thread and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

Prior threads can be found here:
2019-2022: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...19-2022-a.html
Prior to 2019: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2022-24)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2022, 6:18 pm

Who did you get rid of your Ink card that paid 5%?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Lovelabs2
The Moneygram MOs ink was too faint for some ATMs to read so they we’re spit out back at you. LOL WU MOs have dark print and easy for ATM to read. Always hated MG MOs anyway. Glad they will be gone soon from WM.
The faint ink of the MG MO's wasn't cause by some inherent flaw in the MO's; it was because the printers were poorly maintained. The veteran CSR's at my local WM used to complain that they'd call MG about it, but MG wouldn't supplies. The WU MO's may have the same ghost print 6 months down the road
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by craz
well that doesnt apply to me since even thou I got 2 MOs I did only 1 swipe once, that said in my neck of the woods Ive seen many folks getting a bunch at 1 time and either paid with $$ (oh my) or a bank card. True they were for different amounts and were legit and not MSing. Which is another reason I always get 2 different amounts on each even if only a few cents different, so it should look legit, have no idea if Im fooling them or not and not gonna ask

But I dont miss the people (be it employees or worse customers) at Wally just miss having alot more locations closer together
MG really doesn't care why you're buying an MO. What they care about is profitability. Their business model is built on the typical float between when an MO is purchased and when it hits the bank. The average (non-MS) MO is in circulation for a few days to a week or more before it's deposited. But when a significant portion of MO's start getting deposited the same day they're issued, that actually costs the issuer money. If, instead, you hold your MO's for a few days, then you're just another profitable customer for the issuer, and they'd be happy for your business. Think symbiotic, not parasitic.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:17 am

That’s the info FinCen requires store to keep on file. Yes that is all the info required. The $3k daily limit is with both WU n Moneygram MO. They c.an do any amount they choose but anything over $3k requires asking for ID info per Secrecy Act. Instead of filling out a form stores hold info electronically. WM used to have a book where they kept this data but no longer.
You like to cite the Bank Secrecy Act a lot. Have you ever actually read it? Most of your comments regarding it are incorrect. To clear up a couple of your regular misstatements -

"anything over $3k requires asking for ID info per Secrecy Act" -- In fact, the $3,000 trigger on the purchase of MO's specifically and explicitly applies to monetary instruments purchased with CASH. Quoting the BSA -
Treasury regulation 31 CFR 103.29 prohibits financial institutions from issuing or selling monetary instruments purchased with cash in amounts of $3,000 to $10,000, inclusive, unless it obtains and records certain identifying information on the purchaser and specific transaction information

"Debit cards are cash" - Incorrect. The BSA regulations around cash are because cash transactions are not traceable. Debit card purchases involve an electronic transaction which can be traced back to an account and an account owner. Now VGC's, on the other hand, should be treated like cash, because while they do leave an electronic trail, they can be purchased with cash, so that trail may be a dead end.
"Drug dealers don't by MO's with VGC's, they use cash" - In fact, VGC's are an ideal way to hide cash transactions because they can be purchased with cash, purchases made with them are not subject to the BSA restrictions on cash, and they can be used pretty much anywhere.

(and yes, I did work in banking for many years)
littlewinglet likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by jeffeverde
You like to cite the Bank Secrecy Act a lot. Have you ever actually read it? Most of your comments regarding it are incorrect. To clear up a couple of your regular misstatements -

"anything over $3k requires asking for ID info per Secrecy Act" -- In fact, the $3,000 trigger on the purchase of MO's specifically and explicitly applies to monetary instruments purchased with CASH. Quoting the BSA -
Treasury regulation 31 CFR 103.29 prohibits financial institutions from issuing or selling monetary instruments purchased with cash in amounts of $3,000 to $10,000, inclusive, unless it obtains and records certain identifying information on the purchaser and specific transaction information

"Debit cards are cash" - Incorrect. The BSA regulations around cash are because cash transactions are not traceable. Debit card purchases involve an electronic transaction which can be traced back to an account and an account owner. Now VGC's, on the other hand, should be treated like cash, because while they do leave an electronic trail, they can be purchased with cash, so that trail may be a dead end.
"Drug dealers don't by MO's with VGC's, they use cash" - In fact, VGC's are an ideal way to hide cash transactions because they can be purchased with cash, purchases made with them are not subject to the BSA restrictions on cash, and they can be used pretty much anywhere.

I think I didn’t make my comment clear enough……yes real bank DC can be traced to owner of account and yes I have read the BSA several times. That is why any store who wants to can require a real bank DC to purchase MO and bans VGC. If name not on DC then no MO. I was referring to VGC used as debit for MO. You agree that this is considered a “cash” transaction as do the stores issuing the MO…thus the $3k reporting info collected whether with real bank DC or a VGC. I’ve been told many times at various stores that even one MO cannot be bought with VGC as it violates the BSA. They are misinterpreting the Act regs. No amount of discussion can change their minds. I just laugh and move on.

The money launderers may buy VGC with cash and then buy a MO with it….but why would they do that? Just use the dirty cash to pay for MO and avoid a step..which I would bet is how they buy the MO. I agree that using cash for VGC is not traceable also. They launderers can certainly buy any amount of VGC with cash and then use them for purchases…..without any reporting requirement. I doubt very much that is their MO to launder the $$$. The BSA was enacted precisely because there were vast amounts of MO being bought with dirty drug CASH not VGC. It’s the MSers that use the VGC for MO predominantly.

Thx for your thoughtful response tho.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:56 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM) | Hertz President's Circle
USB VGCs Failing at WM

A few DPs here. On both February 3 and 4, $500 USB VGCs have failed at both WM CS and I even tested a regular checkstand (reverting to a BB VISA load via 70-action code) with the same results. Transaction seems to stall out on "Waiting on authorization" and then returns code reason 75 (PIN tries exceeded), which isn't the case.

After repeated attempts, I got two cards to go through but since I didn't know the CSRs extremely well, I didn't push a lot of attempts. Hopefully just a system glitch but the two consecutive days is concerning.

-b.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Carrisco
A few DPs here. On both February 3 and 4, $500 USB VGCs have failed at both WM CS and I even tested a regular checkstand (reverting to a BB VISA load via 70-action code) with the same results. Transaction seems to stall out on "Waiting on authorization" and then returns code reason 75 (PIN tries exceeded), which isn't the case.

After repeated attempts, I got two cards to go through but since I didn't know the CSRs extremely well, I didn't push a lot of attempts. Hopefully just a system glitch but the two consecutive days is concerning.

-b.
Three of my USB VGC were also declined at Safeway for $500 MO purchase in the past three days. Each decline was due to suspected fraud by USB and card was blocked. Had to call CS each time to get unblocked. Never has happened before. I liquidate within 30 min. This may have been the case with your cards.

Another DP here stated that a USB manager confirmed lots of fraud on USB cards lately…so I guess they are putting extra eyeballs on cards where full amount purchase is attempted…..get the “not authorized” message. Just another roadblock in this MS game. It’s another reason to pass on USB cards for awhile.
Carrisco likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:50 pm

I haven't tried this yet but the word on flyertalk was that USB is enforcing a pin reset before use, so, try resetting your pin and hope for the best.
Carrisco likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tectomoc
I haven't tried this yet but the word on flyertalk was that USB is enforcing a pin reset before use, so, try resetting your pin and hope for the best.
Seems like it's the case before being able to use PIN-based debit. Upon further investigation, the automated phone system prompts for the PIN to be updated right upon verifying the card information. The website now shows a banner across the top advising you to call and update your PIN as well. These are both new.

The cards I purchased at the end of January did not have this requirement and I was able to drain them immediately.

-b.

Last edited by Carrisco; Feb 5, 2022 at 12:12 am
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:28 pm

Three of my USB VGC were also declined at Safeway for $500 MO purchase in the past three days. Each decline was due to suspected fraud by USB and card was blocked. Had to call CS each time to get unblocked. Never has happened before. I liquidate within 30 min. This may have been the case with your cards.

Another DP here stated that a USB manager confirmed lots of fraud on USB cards lately…so I guess they are putting extra eyeballs on cards where full amount purchase is attempted…..get the “not authorized” message. Just another roadblock in this MS game. It’s another reason to pass on USB cards for awhile.
This is unrelated to the situation I was describing above but common for USB VGCs. I noticed this behavior in early 2020 when trying to do a PIN-based debit for the entire card amount. What worked for me is waiting 24 hours before draining the cards, timestamped by time the card was loaded/activated at purchase.

That said, I haven't run into this form of fraud protection on USB VGCs for all of 2021 and with my current snags, the cards were not blocked but were just not working (PIN-based issues, not a hard decline).

-b.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:44 pm

Honestly, USB has been such a pain in the ... lately, unless you have to use them I say hold off. If you know you want them, you want them, but this fraud lock/pin/decline/replacement card situation is too much.
Carrisco likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Tectomoc
Honestly, USB has been such a pain in the ... lately, unless you have to use them I say hold off. If you know you want them, you want them, but this fraud lock/pin/decline/replacement card situation is too much.
Unfortunately, I don't have any other GC avenues at the moment here in the Pacific Northwest as my main liquidation point is WM. MB VGCs are useless there and Kroger is the only place that you can buy workable VGCs in a reasonable 'bulk-like' amount. Everywhere else I know either limits how many you can buy to one or two, doesn't accept credit to buy them, or sells MB.

-b.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Carrisco
Seems like it's the case before being able to use PIN-based debit. Upon further investigation, the automated phone system prompts for the PIN to be updated right upon verifying the card information. The website now shows a banner across the top advising you to call and update your PIN as well. These are both new.

The cards I purchased at the end of January did not have this requirement and I was able to drain them immediately.

-b.
Thx for this info and yes the phone system did ask me to change pin…..which I never do since I usually drain them in 30 minutes. I was thinking I should just wait till next day to drain….as Carrisco in post 129 said to do. I will now change pin and wait the 24 hrs to use card. I very rarely buy USB anymore and stick to Vanilla
normally.
Carrisco likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
The faint ink of the MG MO's wasn't cause by some inherent flaw in the MO's; it was because the printers were poorly maintained. The veteran CSR's at my local WM used to complain that they'd call MG about it, but MG wouldn't supplies. The WU MO's may have the same ghost print 6 months down the road
Exact same here. I had one particular WM with really faint ink, and finally I started mentioning it when I'd buy a MO. The staff would tell me they'd put in an order for new a new ink ribbon but it would not get fulfilled. We'll see if WU is any better.

That is one part I do know. This is the reason why gift cards say redeemable anywhere Visa is accepted in the US. In the old days VGCs did not have that US only limitation and money launderers would buy stacks of VGCs with US currency and then liquidate them overseas, so the good only in the US limitation was added.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 3:51 am

Thx for this info and yes the phone system did ask me to change pin…..which I never do since I usually drain them in 30 minutes. I was thinking I should just wait till next day to drain….as Carrisco in post 129 said to do. I will now change pin and wait the 24 hrs to use card. I very rarely buy USB anymore and stick to Vanilla
normally.
It seems that changing the PIN after purchase is a necessary step. You can test the 24 hours but I'm not sure that's a requirement (but it could be in your area as I've heard of them doing it, regionally).

Doesn't hurt to test things as long as you have a friendly CSR and you don't mind the headache of having to call and unblock the card.

-b.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.