Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Office Depot (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Office Depot (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
If that is the case, then you should have no problem returning to the OM store, showing them the inactive card and your actual OM receipt and requesting a new card or a refund (preferably cash ).

The one time my VGC was inactive after purchase, it required talking to the store manager but once he saw their receipt, he just gave me a new VGC.
LOL, if only it were that easy. How do you "show them an inactive card"? How would they know it is actually inactive rather than already drained by you? I would think that these cashiers are trained (perhaps?) to be on the lookout for fraud. I think a big tipoff to a fraudster would be some clown coming in and saying "I bought these cards here and they were not activated, can I give them back to you and get a cash refund?"
Old Mar 23, 2024, 1:56 am

Moral of the story: IF a receipt spits out saying ANY of your cards were not activated properly, as soon as you go home, go through EVERY supposedly "good" card in that purchase and double check it over the phone or website. If it shows a $200 balance, the card is good. If it gives you an error (website) or if the phone call to check your balance immediately transfers you to an agent, then that card was not activated properly. Note that if you check these on the website, you can only check a certain number of "bad" cards before the website will lock you out for 24 hrs.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:55 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
LOL, if only it were that easy. How do you "show them an inactive card"? How would they know it is actually inactive rather than already drained by you? I would think that these cashiers are trained (perhaps?) to be on the lookout for fraud. I think a big tipoff to a fraudster would be some clown coming in and saying "I bought these cards here and they were not activated, can I give them back to you and get a cash refund?"
I guess it depends on where you live.
In my part of the world, a simple phone call will determine whether the card was first activated and second whether it was drained. I suspect that when the manager took my bad card back to his office, he did this. We then looked at the receipt and noted that the cashier had scanned one card twice rather than each card individually, thereby creating the problem.
With that information, he then supplied me with a new card.

But you are right. Scamsters have all sorts of ways of scamming people out of their money.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:18 am

We then looked at the receipt and noted that the cashier had scanned one card twice rather than each card individually, thereby creating the problem.
With that information, he then supplied me with a new card.
OK, well that's a completely different situation and I would fully expect the manager to fix the problem if he can clearly see that the same card was scanned and charged for twice.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:42 am

I guess it depends on where you live.
We then looked at the receipt and noted that the cashier had scanned one card twice rather than each card individually, thereby creating the problem.
Maybe I've just been lucky, but my experience has been that it is literally impossible for the same card to be scanned twice. Once it's been scanned, it's been scanned.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by yanxfann
Maybe I've just been lucky, but my experience has been that it is literally impossible for the same card to be scanned twice. Once it's been scanned, it's been scanned.
Yeah, I thought that was the case too, but wasn't positive if it was at Staples or ODOM. I'm pretty sure my cashiers have at times messed up at both of those stores and accidentally tried to scan the same card twice and it always popped up an error.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:44 am

Yeah, I thought that was the case too, but wasn't positive if it was at Staples or ODOM. I'm pretty sure my cashiers have at times messed up at both of those stores and accidentally tried to scan the same card twice and it always popped up an error.
Yes, ODOM PoS is hard programmed to flag duplicate scan. This was implemented some time in 2021.
Lingli1979 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:43 pm

Moral of the story: IF a receipt spits out saying ANY of your cards were not activated properly, as soon as you go home, go through EVERY supposedly "good" card in that purchase and double check it over the phone or website. If it shows a $200 balance, the card is good. If it gives you an error (website) or if the phone call to check your balance immediately transfers you to an agent, then that card was not activated properly. Note that if you check these on the website, you can only check a certain number of "bad" cards before the website will lock you out for 24 hrs.
Ever since seeing these posts, I've gone straight to the web to verify every card I buy. Guess I'm just spooked. So far, I haven't had a single activation failure. Regarding getting locked out of the web-site, go to incognito mode before you start looking up cards. Then, if it locks you out, you just close the incognito browser and re-open it. Works for me,.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 2:56 pm

These new (mastercard) cardboard cards are wild. I guess it's better for the environment. Definitely don't swipe to hard and bend it in half.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 8:20 pm

Last time in Staples, I got some paper cards. (Master card $200 , pathward, BHN). Bought some MOs with 1 swipe. But sometimes the POS won't take it. I guess BHN just don't want us to be happy.

Went to Office Depot today. You can still buy $200*3 master card (pathward, BHN) and get $30 off. At least POS system allows that.

Does these master card have default pins or we have to set the pins up manually?
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by daviddyer
Went to Office Depot today. ...

Does these master card have default pins or we have to set the pins up manually?
Last 4.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Not sure if this is dead or not, I purchased some $200 DE card at OM/OD, used at Walmart for $199+$1. Did not work, tried multiple swipes. Used different cards, nada, Is this no longer valid at WM?
Old Apr 10, 2024, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Not sure if this is dead or not, I purchased some $200 DE card at OM/OD, used at Walmart for $199+$1. Did not work, tried multiple swipes. Used different cards, nada, Is this no longer valid at WM?
Was this a Walmart SuperCenter with a cafe? The DE should have worked!
Old Apr 11, 2024, 4:24 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Was this a Walmart SuperCenter with a cafe? The DE should have worked!
Correct
Some of the smaller WMs that do not have any dining facilities will deny DE cards. There is one such store in my town. DEs do work at the WMSCs and apparently from DPs at WMNMs as well.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Wait, Is there an ODOM Visa sale going on? I know the MC sale just ended but didn't see anything about Visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.