Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2021, 4:31 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by grumpy163
My Premier is linked to the same TYP account. In a chat on thankyou.com, the rep was able to tell me that I had a bunch of points earned with my Premier and 250 with my Rewards+ and the rep confirmed that those points would be redeemed first and expire in 60 days. Will all of my points, including the ones earned on my Premier, expire 60 days from the Rewards+ closing? Should I redeem all I have even without a specific redemption strategy? I guess we'll see unless anyone has DP to indicate one way or another.
Citi is throwing you a bone.

They have told you that your account(s) are void but that you have 60 days to redeem any reward points you have with them.

Take them at their word that they will close and confiscate your points if you do not move them. I would personally clean out everything ASAP.

When credit card companies bail out on you, they tend to make it a complete severing of all relationships, both personal and business.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:07 pm

I had a similar experience recently. I used my Rewards+ card for small transactions a couple dozen times per month and these "repeated nominal transactions to generate Thank You points" were referenced in the letter they sent to me. The letter said that both the credit card and TYP account would be closed. For a couple days, I couldn't get thankyou.com to load, but since have been able to login and make a redemption. My Premier is linked to the same TYP account. In a chat on thankyou.com, the rep was able to tell me that I had a bunch of points earned with my Premier and 250 with my Rewards+ and the rep confirmed that those points would be redeemed first and expire in 60 days. Will all of my points, including the ones earned on my Premier, expire 60 days from the Rewards+ closing? Should I redeem all I have even without a specific redemption strategy? I guess we'll see unless anyone has DP to indicate one way or another.
My TYP account was unlocked a few days after the Rewards+ was closed, but the points earned through Rewards+ were forfeited (contrary to what I was told). I contacted Citi again and was confirmed by a supervisor that when the bank closes an account the points earned by the card was also forfeited. I did end up using most of my remaining TYP since I needed two BR tickets (at 4.8c/points!)

If my DP is meaningful to you, then points earned by your Premier account should be fine. But I'd recommend redeeming them if you have a fair value use of them. Good luck!
Old Mar 28, 2021, 10:27 am

Are your Premier and Prestige still open and earning points as normal? I'm not going to take any chances and will redeem my points just to be safe. I keep logging in twice a day just to catch and get a little nervous with the red box below the account, only to sign when I read it's for my Annual Account Summary.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 10:40 am

Are your Premier and Prestige still open and earning points as normal? I'm not going to take any chances and will redeem my points just to be safe. I keep logging in twice a day just to catch and get a little nervous with the red box below the account, only to sign when I read it's for my Annual Account Summary.
Yes and yes (the Prestige at least - I rarely use the Premier). I would have transferred my points out even if I didn't have an immediate use of them.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 9:22 am

Is this an Amex shutdown?

Update to below: This happened to another poster and for both of us it reverted back to normal, for now at least. So hopefully just a glitch.

Today, when I log into my amex account it still shows my membership rewards points on the main page but when I click on those points to see the details and recent postings it says I have 0 points and am not registered for membership rewards. But when I go back to the main page that has a transfer points option, it lets me transfer points to an airline.

I am worried about this because I have recently been modestly jamming on the 10x supermarket bonus (500 gift cards about once a week).

Thanks.

Last edited by trey; Apr 23, 2021 at 10:35 am
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by trey
Update to below: This happened to another poster and for both of us it reverted back to normal, for now at least. So hopefully just a glitch.

Today, when I log into my amex account it still shows my membership rewards points on the main page but when I click on those points to see the details and recent postings it says I have 0 points and am not registered for membership rewards. But when I go back to the main page that has a transfer points option, it lets me transfer points to an airline.

I am worried about this because I have recently been modestly jamming on the 10x supermarket bonus (500 gift cards about once a week).

Thanks.
A couple of questions to ask yourself.

Have you been doing something that would attract the attention of furry critters?

Have you been contacted in the past by these fauna? Perhaps in regards to the above?

If the answer to either is yes, why play with fire? Move your points and sleep better at night.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 9:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
arbitration with citi cards

citi closed all my cards and my wife's. just opened an arbitration via AAA(American Arbitration Association) with $200 fee...will update here with any news.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by coolguy100
citi closed all my cards and my wife's...
Sorry to hear. Did Citi site any specific offense, or can you guess the reason?
Old Jul 5, 2021, 10:18 am
Original Poster

P2 - complete shutdown by Chase. Personal and biz. No deposit accounts.

"because our affiliate is ending their banking relationship with you"

Yes - there were deposit accounts. They got shut years ago during shutdown #1. None since.

All was going fine. No new apps. Not sure what the trigger was/is.

All UR points redeemed successfully.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Sorry to hear. Did Citi site any specific offense, or can you guess the reason?
I did Simon VGC and WM BP for several months
Old Jul 5, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: All of them
I did Simon VGC and WM BP for several months
They shut me down for long term MS last winter, and I did BPs for over 2 years. I think they're just more strict on MS now, and big Simon purchases are a give-away. They don't even need to try hard with analytics.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:03 pm

citi closed all my cards and my wife's. just opened an arbitration via AAA(American Arbitration Association) with $200 fee...will update here with any news.
What are you asking for in arbitration?

Did they confiscate points? Usually, Citi will let you take your points after a closedown, but if they are being jerks, definitely worth them eating the fee for you to recover them.

If you are asking for your banking relationship to be reinstated, I suspect that will be a no-go. Citi is a private firm and has the right (within the law) to fire you as a customer.

However, it will be interesting to hear what you want and how they respond.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by FreakingFlyer
P2 - complete shutdown by Chase. Personal and biz. No deposit accounts.

"because our affiliate is ending their banking relationship with you"

Yes - there were deposit accounts. They got shut years ago during shutdown #1. None since.

All was going fine. No new apps. Not sure what the trigger was/is.

All UR points redeemed successfully.
IF you really were doing nothing that would attract attention (and that would be more than just MSing activity. That could be cycling your CL, late payments, overspending your CL, or even sketchy BP providers) than you may just be an unlucky recipient of an audit that discovered your prior closure where they probably wanted to sever all relationships with you, and simply missed it. Finally, the audit may have revealed you to just be an unprofitable customer with a checkered past.

Whatever the case, it seems as if it was just bad luck that they found you. Sorry to hear it. You could try and contact them for the reason (which I doubt they will reveal) and perhaps plead your case that yes you were a bad person years ago but are now a reformed one who has toed the line and makes them money (if true )

Can't hurt.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
What are you asking for in arbitration?

Did they confiscate points? Usually, Citi will let you take your points after a closedown, but if they are being jerks, definitely worth them eating the fee for you to recover them.

If you are asking for your banking relationship to be reinstated, I suspect that will be a no-go. Citi is a private firm and has the right (within the law) to fire you as a customer.

However, it will be interesting to hear what you want and how they respond.
they confiscated all my cash back and Thank you points worth around $6000, I just want my $6000 back.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:55 pm

they confiscated all my cash back and Thank you points worth around $6000, I just want my $6000 back.
arbitration should work. many many successful DPs against citi. have you contacted alex?
https://frequentmiler.com/author/alexbachuwa

Last edited by GundamWing01; Jul 25, 2021 at 3:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.