Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase MS: How to identify a transaction's MCC code

Old Aug 27, 20, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Title says it all - is there a way to identify what MCC code a transaction has on a Chase credit card? The online statements show Chase's category, but I can't for the life of me find where the MCC might be. I'm curious if a few recent transactions will land as cash advance and incur fees/interest, as I know there's a lag between these happening (on that note, any data points on how long it usually takes to be stung with those fees post-transaction?)

Currently these transactions are being categorised under "Personal", so no real insights there...In the spirit of discretion I'd rather not send a Secure Message asking what a particular MCC code is for large, recurring transactions...

Thanks.

G
Old Aug 27, 20, 7:01 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by GeoHurst33 View Post
Title says it all - is there a way to identify what MCC code a transaction has on a Chase credit card? The online statements show Chase's category, but I can't for the life of me find where the MCC might be. I'm curious if a few recent transactions will land as cash advance and incur fees/interest, as I know there's a lag between these happening (on that note, any data points on how long it usually takes to be stung with those fees post-transaction?)

Currently these transactions are being categorised under "Personal", so no real insights there...In the spirit of discretion I'd rather not send a Secure Message asking what a particular MCC code is for large, recurring transactions...

Thanks.

G
Why not make a very small (say $20) transaction and wait for the bill to arrive. Although you are going to have to wait a billing cycle for your answer, if the result is unfavorable, it will not cost you much to have found out.

It would also be much appreciated if you could provide more detail as to what you are trying to find the MCC code for because someone may have already done the suggested deed and can provide you with a ready answer.
Old Aug 28, 20, 2:33 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

The Visa Supplier Locator online will tell you.

https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator...pplier-locator
Burton Codh likes this.
Old Aug 29, 20, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by GeoHurst33 View Post

Thanks.

G
If you know the MCC "Description" and would like to know the MCC 4 digit code...the below document might help, not sure....but "personal" "miscellaneous" etc cover so many...might be difficult to narrow down ur charge....

please google the term "visa-merchant-data-standards-manual"

FT is neither letting me attach a pdf nor letting me add an url to the reply...it is the first link/result (to pdf doc) when you google the above term....the last time i was hit with a Cash Advance fee (Chase Biz Card) was the day after the transaction posted...and once before that, was the second day after the transaction posted.....so may differ...for each transaction...for your assessment/research...check the monthly statements of the CC and you will see the Cash Advance limit on the top...and if CA limit = 0 or less than the actual charge...then most likely u wont incur CA fees etc...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: