Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
For the 2021 shutdown thread, click here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/2031831-2021-shutdown-thread.html

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2020 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by RedSun
Do not think anyone would ask....

With the shut-downs, it may not even apply to some people. They can't afford any shut-downs. Some do MS just to earn the CC bonus. Some do it for the profit, as a 2nd job.
Some do it as a 1st job.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Just got my checking account shutdown. I mainly used for MS MO deposits and then transferred the funds out. They are giving me a month to use my account and transfer my funds before closing it. They won't provide any details on why or allow any reconsideration. Not a big deal as I keep my normal finances in a different bank. It is a bank with branches in multiple states. About 12k in MO's deposited in a 3 month period. All in similar MO check amounts. Had account open before 3 months before that for a SUB (no MS). Nobody ever questioned my deposits at the branch.

Last edited by flyguy6; Feb 21, 2020 at 2:38 pm
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyguy6
Just got my checking account shutdown. I mainly used for MS MO deposits and then transferred the funds out. They are giving me a month to use my account and transfer my funds before closing it. They won't provide any details on why or allow any reconsideration. Not a big deal as I keep my normal finances in a different bank. It was a smaller bank with only branch in 1 state. About 12k in MO's deposited in a 3 month period. All in similar MO check amounts. Had account open before 3 months before that for a SUB (no MS). Nobody ever questioned my deposits at the branch.
Which bank?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by mordakky
Which bank?
TCF bank. Wasn't sure if I should post the name and draw attention to it like most things in the MS world.

Also I was mistaken and will update post. This bank appears to have branches in multiple states.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by flyguy6
Just got my checking account shutdown. I mainly used for MS MO deposits and then transferred the funds out. They are giving me a month to use my account and transfer my funds before closing it. They won't provide any details on why or allow any reconsideration. Not a big deal as I keep my normal finances in a different bank. It is a bank with branches in multiple states. About 12k in MO's deposited in a 3 month period. All in similar MO check amounts. Had account open before 3 months before that for a SUB (no MS). Nobody ever questioned my deposits at the branch.
It does not seem like a large amount of MO deposits. However, if that was the only deposits you were making, then perhaps it caught the eye of someone in the bank. I also suspect that the cycle time between deposits and withdrawals was minimal (check you average daily balance). Your ADB probably was only in the hundreds of dollars, if that.

However, it is good to know that this bank is a bit antsy when it comes to MOs and checking accounts. Thanks for the DP.
flyguy6 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
It does not seem like a large amount of MO deposits. However, if that was the only deposits you were making, then perhaps it caught the eye of someone in the bank. I also suspect that the cycle time between deposits and withdrawals was minimal (check you average daily balance). Your ADB probably was only in the hundreds of dollars, if that.

However, it is good to know that this bank is a bit antsy when it comes to MOs and checking accounts. Thanks for the DP.
I normally let my deposits sit for a few days but then transferred all but ~$1-10 out. There was no monthly fee to worry about.

Update. I was told by a manager at a branch that what she could see in the computer system was my account was listed as a "G shutdown". She knew me as a regular there and probably was not support to tell me that. She couldn't explain what that meant or see any more info on it. Maybe a government agency sent a complaint to the bank and they decided the easiest thing to do was close the account.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:40 pm

TCF is shutting their brancehs around here faster than they are shutting accounts. I've benn using them for MO deposits for years.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:55 pm

It looks like I can't use JAMS for my Citi Arbitration

Citi Double Cash card agreement only mentions AAA

"Arbitration shall be conducted by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) according to this arbitration provision and the applicable AAA arbitration rules in effect when the claim is filed (“AAA Rules”), except where those rules conflict with this arbitration provision. You can obtain copies of the AAA Rules at the AAA’s website (www.adr.org) or by calling 800-778-7879."

https://www.citi.com/CRD/PDF/CMA/car...eCashADA-3.pdf
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by coolguy100
mostly likely due to Billpay. I know a lot of folks buying simon VGC with citi double cash but no Billpay, their citi cards haven't been shut down.
Well I got shutdown by Citi today, but I've been doing BP / bank payments for 2+ years, and MSing on their cards since 2013. Probably they just do the rounds and check on each account eventually when they see something unusual.

On a side note, are their Bans permanent or can I get in again in 1-2 years? I couldn't give a crap about Doublecash as I have other 2x, and the graaavy train is dead, but I may want to do some signup bonuses on the TYP cards in the future.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Well I got shutdown by Citi today, but I've been doing BP / bank payments for 2+ years, and MSing on their cards since 2013. Probably they just do the rounds and check on each account eventually when they see something unusual.

On a side note, are their Bans permanent or can I get in again in 1-2 years? I couldn't give a crap about Doublecash as I have other 2x, and the graaavy train is dead, but I may want to do some signup bonuses on the TYP cards in the future.
Usually they're permanent but it's YMMV of course.

What volume were you doing with Citi?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
Usually they're permanent but it's YMMV of course.

What volume were you doing with Citi?
Lately no more than 20k on a 14k limit. In some months in the glory days of WM unrestricted MOs, I'd do 60k+ easily. I also have gone through dozens of AA card bonuses and several of them acquired from mailers. I kind of wonder if it has something to do with that too.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:20 am
jk2

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Lately no more than 20k on a 14k limit. In some months in the glory days of WM unrestricted MOs, I'd do 60k+ easily. I also have gone through dozens of AA card bonuses and several of them acquired from mailers. I kind of wonder if it has something to do with that too.
no surprise. CL cycling + BP is something they going to notice eventually.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by jk2
no surprise. CL cycling + BP is something they going to notice eventually.
I'm not surprised at all, nor do I care. But also people got shutdown way back in spring 2013 when just cycling and maxing out the 5x TYP promo. There's no safe MS if you want to make money
Travelz likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by mordakky
It looks like I can't use JAMS for my Citi Arbitration

Citi Double Cash card agreement only mentions AAA

"Arbitration shall be conducted by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) according to this arbitration provision and the applicable AAA arbitration rules in effect when the claim is filed (“AAA Rules”), except where those rules conflict with this arbitration provision. You can obtain copies of the AAA Rules at the AAA’s website (www.adr.org) or by calling 800-778-7879."

https://www.citi.com/CRD/PDF/CMA/car...eCashADA-3.pdf
Hmmm, exactly like I said back at #115 ...https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32072559-post115.html
MaxVO and mordakky like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:19 pm
ogg

Citi has different terms for its various cards and they have changed over the years. Some cards allow both arbitration organizations, some don't. The terms applicable to an individual may be the ones that existed when the card was first obtained, regardless of subsequent changes for other cardholders. It's always a good idea to check with an attorney about such things.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.