Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you banned at Wal-Mart?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:45 pm
ogg

Originally Posted by danpeake
I am blocked at WM. I went to CVS to buy a MO for $38.75 (plus $1.25 fee = $40). The cashier scanned my DL (they scan/enter IDs for all amounts). The transaction went through no problem. It printed out a few seconds later and looked just like one from WM.

Yes, it was a low amount MO, but my ID was still scanned.
That's good information and interesting. Thanks.

If I remember right, CVS limits purchases of Gebits to $2K per 24 hours, enforced by the DL scan. So one possibility is that your $40 purchase didn't trigger an existing ban because MG doesn't care about purchases under $1K. Or, of course, it might indeed be a WM ban or a WM ban tied in to MG in some way.

Regardless, this is all academic to me. CVS doesn't accept anything but cash for money orders, so its policies are of no concern for what I want to do. If we could find some MG agent that allows gebits to purchase money order, that would be useful!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ogg
That's good information and interesting. Thanks.

If I remember right, CVS limits purchases of Gebits to $2K per 24 hours, enforced by the DL scan. So one possibility is that your $40 purchase didn't trigger an existing ban because MG doesn't care about purchases under $1K. Or, of course, it might indeed be a WM ban or a WM ban tied in to MG in some way.

Regardless, this is all academic to me. CVS doesn't accept anything but cash for money orders, so its policies are of no concern for what I want to do. If we could find some MG agent that allows gebits to purchase money order, that would be useful!
Do you know of a single place that issues MGs MOs besides CV. I used to know a couple but they switched to WU

I would think trying to buy more then $1K at CV should be good enough , but youd have to know if the ID is passed to MG or not, since CV scans ID for any purchase it might not be passed onto MG for any amount

So all the speculation will contiune
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Do you know of a single place that issues MGs MOs besides CV.
Shoppers Food Warehouse does. I believe it's 59c for up to $500 MO. They do they debit card (as long as the cashier lets you).

I have no idea if they enter IDs for large purchases or not. I will not be in a position to try them out.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by danpeake
Shoppers Food Warehouse does. I believe it's 59c for up to $500 MO. They do they debit card (as long as the cashier lets you).

I have no idea if they enter IDs for large purchases or not. I will not be in a position to try them out.

Seems its a 46 store Balt - DC area only chain. That leaves me out and probably most others. Was hoping they were in CHS where I will be flying into for a day next week and would have tried them out
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
I went to my local WM MC and asked if I could buy 2 $1000 MOs.
I said that I would be paying for them in cash
They wanted my DL
There was once a customer at a WM in front of me paying cash for MO's. He shared this opinion with everyone in the earshot: WM process is a breeze compared to AMSCOT, where buying a "no fee" MO was like applying for a mortgage. He would much rather pay $1 for each MO, then repeat the AMSCOT experience.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:15 am

Having a read through this, while I used to think this was coming from Money Gram, I'm not sure if it is them or Walmart. I just don't get why Walmart would let CFP bill pay go biz as usual if it was them. But maybe it is because they feel less risk with the 8K/mo limit? While MO is unlimited provided under 8K/24 hours? I just don't get it. On top of all that, I assume I'm not the only one who spends a boat load at Walmart; I really want to give them business as thanks for keeping my traveling life afloat....
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
While MO is unlimited provided under 8K/24 hours?
you misspelled LIMIT lol 😂 oxymoron
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP IHG Diamond Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond
Is Moneygram a "financial institution." Technically, any adverse action against a consumer would have to follow the ECOA? That would mean receiving notice of a "specific reason" for the "adverse action" along with other provisions? I used this when Citi shut me down and I settled for a good sum. Just a thought.
FrankMS likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:16 pm
ogg

Originally Posted by worldtraveler303
Is Moneygram a "financial institution." Technically, any adverse action against a consumer would have to follow the ECOA? That would mean receiving notice of a "specific reason" for the "adverse action" along with other provisions? I used this when Citi shut me down and I settled for a good sum. Just a thought.
Nice idea, but MG is NOT a financial institution. It's a money transfer firm that provides services through financial institutions and agents.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by ogg
Nice idea, but MG is NOT a financial institution. It's a money transfer firm that provides services through financial institutions and agents.
you misspelled MSB. That’s MGs classification.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:23 pm

Just curious, what's the smallest amount of volume anyone here has seen and got the ban hammer?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by traveltogo
Just curious, what's the smallest amount of volume anyone here has seen and got the ban hammer?
In the WM MO thread today, someone claims to have brought a newbie P2 who got the ban after joining in for 2-4k of MOs and having an SAR filled out on them. I'm skeptical of that story, but it's not implausible. I got to a WM which is an MSer hotbed, all the CSRs know everyone, and they were all shocked when a half dozen of us got banned in one week in November inexplicably. I'm thinking it's done in the back-end by some kind of auditing team.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
In the WM MO thread today, someone claims to have brought a newbie P2 who got the ban after joining in for 2-4k of MOs and having an SAR filled out on them. I'm skeptical of that story, but it's not implausible. I got to a WM which is an MSer hotbed, all the CSRs know everyone, and they were all shocked when a half dozen of us got banned in one week in November inexplicably. I'm thinking it's done in the back-end by some kind of auditing team.
How would they have known a SAR was filled out on them?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:55 pm

Has anyone that was banned since Sept 2019 tried to buy $2K in MOs recently? Is the ban permanent or for a certain duration?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Has anyone that was banned since Sept 2019 tried to buy $2K in MOs recently? Is the ban permanent or for a certain duration?
it usually lasts a few weeks and then you should be good to go again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.