Are you banned at Wal-Mart?

Old Apr 26, 19, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Are you banned at Wal-Mart?

I decided to initiate this thread in order to establish whether Wal-Mart has initiated a ban on certain customers when buying money orders. Like the bank ban thread, one should give pertinent information so that we can have DPs as to whether the ban is real or regional or in fact just fiction.
1. Did you present your driver's license when attempting to purchase your cards
2. What was your average weekly/daily purchase volume of money orders
3. Are you banned from bill pay as well
4. What was your activity time frame (how long had you been buying MOs)
5. If you wish to disclose, what is your fix.
6. Your general location (try to make it within several states so that we have a better idea as to where things are popping).

As for me, I am just an ant in a land of giants. I generally do only 1 MO a day if that and for less than $1000 so my monthly totals are always less than $10,000 (I know, a pittance). At the same time, I have never been ID'ed so that appears to be a good thing .

Please try to stay on topic and discuss other WM things in the appropriate thread
Clueless12 and coolguy100 like this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 2:09 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, National Executive
The shill blogger that got banned was asking for it.
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:03 am
Original Poster

From DPs I have been reading, some are saying that the block is coming from MG.

it would be very helpful to know if people who cannot purchase MG MOs from WM have experienced the same problem when buying a MG MO from another vendor.

That would mean that even using cash, you are banned.

This would be important to know.
ogg likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 10:01 am
ogg

Good idea for a topic! I guarantee that the ban is neither regional nor bogus--there are reports from all over. I'm on the West Coast. There's no relationship to how the transaction is paid for--because the transaction is denied before the payment stage. So cash versus debit makes no difference. It's an excellent idea to test to see if MG purchases at non-WM stores work for a banned person. The non-WM MG agents around me only accept cash for MOs, so I've never tried that.

The WM system randomly asks for photo ID even for MO purchases below $1K. When that prompt comes up, my transaction gets denied even if the MO is for only $900. The ban is tied to the DL, so transactions that don't require an SSN also are denied.

My own history with MS goes back decades and at times I've been a fairly heavy hitter. I went to one WM store for months buying the maximum amount of MOs allowed ($20K per day then). A CSM complained to me about the paperwork. I was puzzled. She explained that she was filing an SAR on me after every visit! So I've had thousands of SARs filed over the years. None have ever produced any AA from anyone. My MG ban started at a store where I've been going for more than 10 years and everyone there knows me and seems to like me. I've got no reason to think there were any SARs filed against me in the past year, but I have no way to know for sure.

At the time I was banned, I was doing only $2K per day in money orders at a single WM store at most--many days I didn't buy any. I did not go to multiple stores each day. I have friends in the same area who do $4K per store and hit three stores every day. They have not been banned.

It's very puzzling to me. When this started in April, few people were banned. More have been banned recently, but the ban still is not affecting very many people so it's understandable that there's skepticism about whether it's real or not. Hope you never find out the hard way that it's real!
Old Sep 17, 19, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by ogg View Post
The ban is tied to the DL, so transactions that don't require an SSN also...
Tried a passport yet?

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Sep 17, 19 at 7:51 pm Reason: fixed quote
Old Sep 17, 19, 7:54 pm
ogg

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni View Post
Tried a passport yet?
Yes--it made no difference. Both my passport and my DL have the same name and DOB, and I'd guess that's enough to produce the same result. I did give my business address and business phone number instead of my usual home address and phone number when I tried the passport--but that didn't work.
Old Sep 17, 19, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by ogg View Post
Yes--it made no diference. Both my passport and my DL have the same name and DOB, and I'd guess that's enough to produce the same result. I did give my business address and business phone number instead of my usual home address and phone number when I tried the passport--but that didn't work.
I don't think the address is the criteria. Its probably the Name and DOB that are the deciding factors. I guess they know that DL and PP are going to have unique numbers so something that is not unique is your name and DOB.
Old Sep 17, 19, 9:00 pm

It looks like the issue is being discussed here in another blog.

https://www.pointchaser.com/moneygra...rders-walmart/
Old Sep 19, 19, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
It looks like the issue is being discussed here in another blog.

https://www.pointchaser.com/moneygra...rders-walmart/
Thank you for the link.
The discussion is very interesting. We should continue it here to see if we match what the bloggers have reported to date.
AzLarry likes this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA PPro. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I believe I've been banned. I was hitting it very hard, doing at least $3K/day. I was able to buy single MOs, and some of the CSR's at my primary store will let me do multiple transactions. So I don't think I'm totally frozen out, but unless it was a system glitch or I violated the daily limit (which I don't think was the case), I will probably have to cut back my volume but won't be entirely shut out.
Old Sep 24, 19, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 4 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond
There is definitely a ban going on and it's from Moneygram side not Walmart. The customer service representatives are friendly and they only see that it's blocked. It's triggered right when then input your ID #. You can still buy a single Money order for under $1,000 without an ID so that isn't an issue but there must be some hard limit once you buy a certain $ total with Moneygram that you are blocked.
Old Sep 24, 19, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
I was hitting it very hard, doing at least $3K/day.
😂
BLoch12 and farwest101 like this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by saint View Post
There is definitely a ban going on and it's from Moneygram side not Walmart. The customer service representatives are friendly and they only see that it's blocked. It's triggered right when then input your ID #. You can still buy a single Money order for under $1,000 without an ID so that isn't an issue but there must be some hard limit once you buy a certain $ total with Moneygram that you are blocked.
My Walmart (Northern NY) seems to randomly ask for IDs under a$1000. It did yesterday for 4 swipes for 799.12
Old Sep 25, 19, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Adirondacker View Post
My Walmart (Northern NY) seems to randomly ask for IDs under a$1000. It did yesterday for 4 swipes for 799.12
Mine does for any split tender. They definitely have the option to take ID sub $1,000 if they want.
Adirondacker likes this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 9:22 am

I sorta don't get this. I have never been ID'd but I only do MOs now and then when Stop & Shop is doing VGC promos with gas points. If a CSR were to ask me for an ID, I'd cancel the transaction and leave. I only do MO's for under $1k and only one at a time.

Search this Thread