Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Your name has to be in the To, else just how you can deposit it to your account?

As for the From, read ogg's post 1810 which explains very well why you should be truthful.
Your name in the To field is not how money orders are deposited. It's related to your bank account number. Now I don't know WHY you wouldn't put your name in the To field, but to each his own. To me that would be strange. And the checks are not from personal accounts, so it really makes no difference what name is in the From field. I could just as easily say my roommate works next to a grocery store and he gets a MO for me 3-4x/week with the gift card I give him. Now as others have said, generally telling the truth to someone who questions your activity leads to no issues. But nobody knows for sure. Like everything in this game, it's all YMMV.

I have a folder that I keep receipts in of the MO and the gift card receipt. If anyone ever questions it, I can easily show proof of my activity.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ogg
Well, if you're depositing a money order it better have the account holder--you--as the "To:" name. And if you're depositing money orders with a lot of different names as "From:" or even one different name as "From:" why would you believe that wouldn't raise the question of money laundering for that "From;" person--with you being the money launderer...and with tax consequences for you.

If you have records, you can answer any question about your transactions. Sure, banks will close you down at random, but I see no reason to think the names of the money orders matter. If you have a choice of lying or telling the truth, tell the truth. It's simple. You gain nothing by llying--nothing at all--and in this case I think you even invite greater scrutiny and questions for which you can't come up with a legitimate answer. "Mr. Craz, you've been depositing money orders form John Smith. Why? What's his relationship to you? What is this for?" Would you really prefer to answer those questions than show a receipt for buying a gift card, a receipt for using it to buy a money order, and that same money order being deposited in your account?
Ive posted in the past I have an excellent relationship with my banks = $$ in accts with them, but even that at times wont save me. I see things as to how I would view it if I was on the other side. and to me its seems very funny if a person was handing me time after time tons of MOs with their name in both areas. IMO that would raise a red flag while having the To and From having different names would seem normal to me. It can be a repayment of an outstanding loan etc etc

i wouldnt be at all comfortable depositing the MOs with my name in both fields, thats me and its best to do whatever makes a person most comfortable, so if youre comfortable having the To & From with your name so do so. Just as if I didnt have a ca$h business I wouldnt be comfortable making large ca$h deposits on reg basis, others will feel right at home.

Once WM changed its limits some folks were comfortable doing $8K everyday, I was comfortable keeping it under $1K so as no ID needed and simply would hit 8 stores to unload. For some having to go to 8 places theyd rather not MS. there is no right or wrong. I keep my Simon to under 10K, others feel comfortable getting the full 25K

I just think a person should be presented with both sides and then decide for themselves which way to proceed
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Your name has to be in the To, else just how you can deposit it to your account?
Many banks and CUs will gladly accept checks/MO's made payable to the bank & account number (the latter can go in the endorsement section in the back). Last time the endorsement issue was raised, I recall that PaulMSN had some thoughts in favor of this idea.

Last edited by MaxVO; Jan 5, 2020 at 10:00 pm Reason: name correction
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:16 pm
ogg

https://www.bankersonline.com/forum/...Number=1505614
We tell the tellers that a check payable to the bank means the customer is paying the bank for something such as a loan payment
https://www.bankersonline.com/forum/...Number=1492337

Most banks correctly instruct customers to make checks payable to the bank only if paying a sum due the bank (box rental, trust fees, etc.)
Again, I basically agree with craz that you should do what's comfortable for you. But you might be better off getting comfortable with things that make you uncomfortable.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:01 pm

Random bank clerks chatting about cashing checks "or something" is not exactly pertinent to our niche. And for entertainment value I would've preferred WM clerks chatting about structuring.
danpeake and gm9928 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:30 pm

Deleted

Last edited by chaser123; Jan 5, 2020 at 8:33 pm Reason: ask to delete
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Originally Posted by History05
I don't really know that it matters. Majority of people's signatures nowadays aren't legible anyways, so honestly, I just scribble the name of a person on there. Lots of people fill their name in both slots and never have an issue. As far as banks vs credit unions, I've heard that CU are more lenient. But I've also heard wells fargo doesn't really care about depositing money orders. Of course everything may depend on volume. I'd just mobile deposit or ATM deposit though.
I have been MSing well over 10K, monthly for 5 yrs.

A few rules I have for myself, in order to maximize my time for all of this:
1. The only name that matters is that in the "To" field.
2. Double-check all other fields (acct #; sig on back etc) for accuracy, as any returned MOs waste much more time to fix than
doing right first.

3. Deposit almost exclusively in CUs. Banks scrutinize too much; risking shutdown. I have at least 8 CU accts and only 1 small local bank for MS.

4. Have multiple CU accts always ready for deposit, so you can maximize high ACH transfer rates.

5. Deposit via ATM, mail, or mobile deposit; which ever is faster, and most error-free. Going inside a branch wastes way too much time. Some ATM machines are error-prone, and by experience, you will find which ones to avoid.

6. Keep rotating deposits via your CU portfolio, to stay under monthly reporting requirements.

7. Track which CUs / banks make your funds available right away, and which ones make you wait up to 5 business days, even for a cash ATM deposit! The differences in funds availablility from one CU / bank to another may surprise you!

Good luck!
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
"Keep rotating deposits via your CU portfolio, to stay under monthly reporting requirements." is this structuring? structuring has very serious consequences once caught.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:52 am

Yes. Don't do that, it's illegal, and not a slap on the wrist illegal...but actually very illegal.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Many banks and CUs will gladly accept checks/MO's made payable to the bank & account number (the latter can go in the endorsement section in the back). Last time the endorsement issue was raised, I recall that PaulMSN had some thoughts in favor of this idea.
Unlike many here I have no CU account and always do business with major banks, with regular day to day accounts and always use teller deposits. Never write bank account number anywhere, both front and back. Just deposit them with the deposit slip which I do write down the ref number of each MO on the back of the deposit slip - this way IF needed I can readily pull up the image of the deposit slip both front and back from online banking. Dont have issues but then again much much smaller volume than most here since I normally only do this when a bonus is involved.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by coolguy100
"Keep rotating deposits via your CU portfolio, to stay under monthly reporting requirements." is this structuring? structuring has very serious consequences once caught.
It's only structuring if you are trying to avoid a government reporting requirement. There are no government reporting requirements on MO deposits.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fletchbo

2. Double-check all other fields (acct #; sig on back etc) for accuracy, as any returned MOs waste much more time to fix than
doing right first.

3. Deposit almost exclusively in CUs. Banks scrutinize too much; risking shutdown. I have at least 8 CU accts and only 1 small local bank for MS.

4. Have multiple CU accts always ready for deposit, so you can maximize high ACH transfer rates.

5. Deposit via ATM, mail, or mobile deposit; which ever is faster, and most error-free. Going inside a branch wastes way too much time. Some ATM machines are error-prone, and by experience, you will find which ones to avoid.

6. Keep rotating deposits via your CU portfolio, to stay under monthly reporting requirements.

7. Track which CUs / banks make your funds available right away, and which ones make you wait up to 5 business days, even for a cash ATM deposit! The differences in funds availablility from one CU / bank to another may surprise you!

Good luck!
all that for 10k monthly? I guess you don't value simplicity?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by beast7276
all that for 10k monthly? I guess you don't value simplicity?
It says well over 10k monthly, so we don’t really know how much he’s doing. And he isn’t really doing anything complicated, other than diversifying his MO deposits at a large number of CU’s (which takes one minute via ATM or mobile deposit). If you live in a big city, all those CU’s may be within a 5-10 minute walk.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by History05
MO's aren't drawn on any personal account. Again, you can scribble a name in there that you can't even read. It doesn't really matter. If the bank ever asked, you can either be honest, or just say you sell stuff on craigslist and take MO's. But there's really no reason to involve the name of anybody you know. Especially one that banks at the same financial institution. The biggest thing though is DON'T deposit MO's in your usual bank. You should have a separate bank setup just for manufactured spending.
I use 5 big banks and 2 local banks for 5 years depositing about 7k each month to each. (84k to each yearly.. ) never a problem or a call. I use the ATM's and 1 bank have to go to teller. TD bank once called me 1 year ago and asked where I get all the MO I deposit. I tell the truth. I told him I cash in my GC at WM for MO to get the airline points or cash back. They said AOK. So much mis information here. Just dont lie.
Burizado likes this.

Last edited by barrytuneup; Jan 6, 2020 at 12:14 pm Reason: word
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by fletchbo

doing right first.

Good luck!
total opposite for me..especially #.3 And I never wrote my acct # on all these MO I deposit. The ATM card works for that at ATM or at teller. Never a mistake in 5 years and over 5 million in MO.!! To each his own. The big banks seem very lenient. (BOA WF TD etc) I never used a CU ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.