Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlitos
In the middle of nowhere Mid West, I can use 2 X $500 or 4 X $200 for a $999.11 or $799.12 MO and absolutely nothing will happen, as my CSR friends couldn't care less and have been working at those Wally Worlds for more than 10 years. With them, anything as long as the machine does not ask for ID or SSN. Now, in South Cali, another ball game. I hadn't done a single MO in the last 6 or 7 months and decided to give it a shot with this new baby's from Simon Mall Outlet in Orange.

Now, I will start to get my United Mileage Plus Prepaid Card without Chip ready to show, in case they want to see my Card
I get to The OC often and its almost like being back home, where they lure me in and run everything , let me swipe and just in the middle of the swipe come out and say those words, Please show me that card, no time to pull a switch since I just finished teh swipe and if I tried anything they are looking at me like a hawk

i have 2 places off the beaten path where 4-$200s or 2-500s arent a problem as long as I stay < 1K, but those 1K cards make it all very simple , since as I said they assume its a DC, the give away thou s/b why am I swiping it rather then inputting the chip, since at least with a CC with a chip if yous wipe it its usually declined

As of yet when getting 1 MO using the 1K Ive never been carded,Im sure it will happen
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by craz
the key for now is its 1 card, 1 swipe , 1 MO, try using 2 of the 1Ks and see what happens

In their mind $500 is the largest amount on a card so when you ask for a MO thats > $500 their mind says it cant be a GC and must be a reg DC, if word ever gets out about the 1K cards Id expect every time I ask for a MO to be carded

Enjoy it while it lasts
I don't believe that is necessarily true that if you get a MO that is greater than $500 they will automatically not card you and assume it is a reg DC. It all comes down to the CSR that is dealing with you. Some do care more than others. Yes I am sure they might have been told my MC management to be wary of those individuals that ask for MOs that total $500 OR ask to split in $500 increments to ask to see their cards but I have run into other CSRs that ask to see the card even if its a higher amount (ex: $850) just because in their eyes $850 is a large amount regardless if I am not splitting cards. However I once ran into a situation where I was being carded when I asked for a $999.12 MO and she said was triggered from that amount that was popular asked amongst those that tend to buy MOs with gebits who probably split $500. She was just one of those nosy CSRs that was in the neighboring register helping another customer and luckily for me I had my bank debit card out and showed her and wasn't dealing with her directly. She didnt bother me afterwards and the CSR in front of me that I was dealing with didn't ask to see my card when I was paying for the MO since he was probably convinced that since I showed my bank card that I was intending to use that card to pay for the MO.

Certainly doing 1 card, 1 swipe, 1 MO is a strategy that should work most of the time but I just don't see everyone adhering to that. There will always be people that try to test the limits and some fail and some succeed. I don't expect anyone blabbing to WM about the $1K cards.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Sep 17, 2019 at 12:34 am
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:56 am

I actually don't buy $1000 VGCs at Simon, but rather $999.88 ones...this way the MO fee is already "built" into the VGC, and I just ask for a MO for $999...or sometimes I buy $995.88 - I like that amount because once a WM cashier asked me "is it rent due time?", apparently the amount of $995 sounds like it might be for rent...easy for WM cashier, not too suspicious and quick and easy for me...I know it might not work for those doing big volume, but for quick in and out of WM with not too much attention drawn (and for staying under the radar for DL or SS requirements) it works fine...
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I don't believe that is necessarily true that if you get a MO that is greater than $500 they will automatically not card you and assume it is a reg DC. It all comes down to the CSR that is dealing with you. Some do care more than others. Yes I am sure they might have been told my MC management to be wary of those individuals that ask for MOs that total $500 OR ask to split in $500 increments to ask to see their cards but I have run into other CSRs that ask to see the card even if its a higher amount (ex: $850) just because in their eyes $850 is a large amount regardless if I am not splitting cards. However I once ran into a situation where I was being carded when I asked for a $999.12 MO and she said was triggered from that amount that was popular asked amongst those that tend to buy MOs with gebits who probably split $500. She was just one of those nosy CSRs that was in the neighboring register helping another customer and luckily for me I had my bank debit card out and showed her and wasn't dealing with her directly. She didnt bother me afterwards and the CSR in front of me that I was dealing with didn't ask to see my card when I was paying for the MO since he was probably convinced that since I showed my bank card that I was intending to use that card to pay for the MO.

Certainly doing 1 card, 1 swipe, 1 MO is a strategy that should work most of the time but I just don't see everyone adhering to that. There will always be people that try to test the limits and some fail and some succeed. I don't expect anyone blabbing to WM about the $1K cards.
of cause every situation with MSing is a YMMV one. That said I havent as yet been carded when requesting 1 MO with 1 swipe, and Im sure even if a person asks for 1 MO for $59.50 they may be carded if you hit the wrong csr, but the % is you wont be, unless after getting the 1st MO you ask for a 2nd MO

I wont go into my dealings but I NEVER asked for an MO for $999.12 simply feeling it was a tell, and after some time I stopped with $900 for the same reasoning. I simply dont get why people try to squeeze every cent out of the cards, just leave x on it and use it when you are making a legit purchase so you lose out on the additional few pts/miles big deal
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:42 pm

The bans are continuing to roll out. My wife just got the pop-up about 15 minutes ago, after successfully purchasing yesterday morning. She had been buying $4k at a time, maybe 2-3x per week, for the last 3-4 weeks. Before that, it was maybe $2k every few weeks. No SARs that I'm aware of, no repeated merchandise returns, friendly cashiers, ID had a different address than mine, etc. I've been buying $8k/day every day since the new system and (knock on wood) no issues for me so far, so no idea what's going on.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by ValueAdd82
The bans are continuing to roll out. My wife just got the pop-up about 15 minutes ago, after successfully purchasing yesterday morning. She had been buying $4k at a time, maybe 2-3x per week, for the last 3-4 weeks. Before that, it was maybe $2k every few weeks. No SARs that I'm aware of, no repeated merchandise returns, friendly cashiers, ID had a different address than mine, etc. I've been buying $8k/day every day since the new system and (knock on wood) no issues for me so far, so no idea what's going on.
It could be a year or more to truly know if a suspicious activity report was filed on you or not, as it first goes through the financial crimes enforcement network, which is a division of the US treasury. Then what generally happens is they turn it over to the FBI to investigate. The FBI will subpoena all of your financial records without you knowing, and then they will show up at your house one day.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:00 pm
ogg

Originally Posted by TTT103
It could be a year or more to truly know if a suspicious activity report was filed on you or not, as it first goes through the financial crimes enforcement network, which is a division of the US treasury. Then what generally happens is they turn it over to the FBI to investigate. The FBI will subpoena all of your financial records without you knowing, and then they will show up at your house one day.
Again, distinguish between internal SAR reports that go to WalMart and real SARs that WalMart submits to FinCEN. There are millions of SARs sent to FinCEN each year; nearly all produce no action whatever. And my guess is that virtually none of the internal WalMart SARs are sent to FinCEN. Each real FinCEN-submitted report has to explain why the actions reported are deemed suspicious. What we're doing in MS isn't at all suspicious on analysis, although minimum wage clerks at WalMart might think so.

1) We're not using cash or currency.
2) We're paying by identifiable prepaid debit cards--the numbers are part of the transaction. The debit card numbers can be checked easily and the location where they were bought can be determined. It's fairly easy to find out that they were purchased by a credit card. If there's no problem with the credit card (no stolen credit cards, no stolen debit cards, no reversals, no accusations of identity theft or fraud), that pretty much ends the matter.
3) Transactions are under the reporting limit because the WM system doesn't allow more than 4 debit cards per transaction, and the max prepaid debit card is $1K. So these transactions at WM by necessity have to be below the reporting limit. WM certainly knows that. So doing a bunch of transactions below the reporting limit isn't suspicious to WM. They may look like structuring to a WM CSR--they won't look that way to the office handling these reports.

And once this sort of analysis is made for one of us, I'm sure further WM SARs submitted by the WM terminals about the same person are dismissed quickly by the WM central office that deals with this.

I'd guess I;ve had more than a thousand WM SARs submitted by local stores over the years. I've never been contacted by any law enforcement asking about the transactions. Also, when prepaid debit cards could be used to buy postal money orders, I was buying $20K or more per day at my local post office. Every transaction was put into the BSA system with my SSN. I never heard from a single postal inspector about the activity.

There are a couple of million real SARs submitted to FinCEN each year. I found the stats here interesting:
2018 SAR Insights: Suspicious Activity Reports Annual Analysis | Dynamic Securities Analytics

We're NOT doing anything illegal or wrong. MS is legal. There can be accusations of wrongdoing even when there is no real wrongdoing, of course--but I'm not going to worry about that because I keep good records and can prove my transactions are clean if anyone ever asks.
coolguy100 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by craz
of cause every situation with MSing is a YMMV one. That said I havent as yet been carded when requesting 1 MO with 1 swipe, and Im sure even if a person asks for 1 MO for $59.50 they may be carded if you hit the wrong csr, but the % is you wont be, unless after getting the 1st MO you ask for a 2nd MO

I wont go into my dealings but I NEVER asked for an MO for $999.12 simply feeling it was a tell, and after some time I stopped with $900 for the same reasoning. I simply dont get why people try to squeeze every cent out of the cards, just leave x on it and use it when you are making a legit purchase so you lose out on the additional few pts/miles big deal
Honestly I don't think it really matters. Even if you ask for a $999 MO and you leave $0.12 on it its not gonna be that much different in terms of trying to stand out from the rest of the folk unless u are talking about really standing out by doing something like $950. Most cashiers I have interacted with don't care about the actual amount being asked. The only reason why I brought up the situation with the lady asking about the $999.12 amount was to emphasize that just because the MO amount is >$500 doesn't mean they won't ask to card you and not about trying to maximize the amount on the VGC. That is a completely different issue. I know what you mean by playing the % game where the tendency is not to ask to see your card if you are not splitting payment but I am pretty sure splitting payment is normally what triggers CSRs to perhaps ask for the card regardless of the amount. I think 99% of CSRs are not triggered by specific amounts but rather how you will pay for it that matters.

Also you are not "losing out" on the additional pts/miles since you already paid for the full value of the VGCs and received the CC points. I guess redeeming the full amount of the VGC is what you meant.
cuthroat and Joonydell like this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:30 pm

Attempted to buy $1998.24 today and was denied by MG, per cashier. She said there was a pop-up after inputting my address that would kick her out after. Does this mean i'm banned from MG? She let me do 999.12 x2. I had been doing $3k once a week since SM sale, but sprinkled <$1k at other times to avoid getting ID'd
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by fishfly
Attempted to buy $1998.24 today and was denied by MG, per cashier. She said there was a pop-up after inputting my address that would kick her out after. Does this mean i'm banned from MG? She let me do 999.12 x2. I had been doing $3k once a week since SM sale, but sprinkled <$1k at other times to avoid getting ID'd
Same here. I think WM might be doing a sweep for those DLs that have done $X number amount in a given time frame and banning them for now. Hopefully its just a temporary ban.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
if banned for MOs, how about BPs either from MG or CFP?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:47 pm

I did my first money order at walmart a week ago for $799 using 4 $200 vgc without any issues. A small walmart in a suburban area so I assumed this walmart was cool with MS.

Went for my second one today, had a different cashier who gave me a look when I asked if I could put it on 4 debit cards. When I went to swipe the first one, she noticed the card said gift on the front and told me they can't do that. I said no problem and just left. Should I keep trying this walmart but avoid that cashier?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:01 pm
ogg

Originally Posted by coolguy100
if banned for MOs, how about BPs either from MG or CFP?
CF yes (within the normal limits); MG no.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ogg
CF yes (within the normal limits); MG no.
so it is WM/MG joint ban.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:10 am

Fairly new to this game. Stated up with $100 from ralphs for fuel reward. First time buying MO for $100, everything was perfect until I asked if i could pay the fee in cash. CSR asked for card right away, I didn't bring one debit with me so getting a NO from her and I said thank you and left. Second time asked for a $98 MO, no issue at all. $1.12 left in the vgc. Now that I want to grow but have couple stupid questions after viewing dozens of pages of reply.

1) 8k/day limit should be based on ID customer if I am reading this right. So technically, if you buy $999 X 8, you could actually buy more MO beyond the limit since your ID is not in the system therefore no way the system knowing that you reach your limit.

2) How do you guys buy 8k everyday without any issue, I mean even you have three WMs around your location, that's basically a trip to every single WM day after day with buying large amount in MO. I might be too chicken but buying $200 or whatever amount that is from a single WM every day should be a red flag from my point of view. (Visit the same WM couple different times a day I guess? Get to know the shift of CSRs? But even that you still have to face the same CSR at a high frequency.)

3) Any amount ending in .12 like $999.12 or $499.12 and splitting payments sound suspicious to me cause I am assuming normally people wouldn't do it that way. So I just like the dude from previous reply, finish the transaction ASAP and GTFO not to mention asking for splitting payments. Besides that, buying two MO with $499 each is much more normal than buying one $998 with split payment in my opinion.

I know that those are hight YMMV but still worries me a bit. Hence, I would imagine that I only end up with two MO with $499 each for a trip to WM. I know it's a pathetic value for a trip to WM so I want to summarize my whole point in one sentence that is I AM TOO CHICKEN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.