Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2021, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by craz
Will it help me any if I explain to the judge that the reason I robbed the Bank was I needed to feed my kids and cloth them?! You dont get it I see, its NOT illegal to get a MO with a card, but per WU and the stores its suppose to be a Bank Card or Ca$h no matter what the ultimate use of the MO is.

as for hours and gifts, the Idea is NOT to STICK OUT and thats exactly what youd end up doing! Again should over time you have a relationship thats different, I personally dont know anyone who has, no saying it wont happen but very doubtful it will. And how and where do you expect to give them a gift?

Sorry but with your mindset, Id really rethink if this is for You, Ive told numerous friens not to eveen think of do wat I do, since its not for them most liostend the couple who didnt ended up very sorry they didnt
No, I hear you. It's a delicate balance between being inconspicuous and building a relationship.

I'm pretty sophisticated with these things so continue giving it a shot. I have a plan B for liquidating anyway.

Thanks for your help and advise-- it's helpful.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
[QUOTE=craz;33644061]" I was thinking that if I get one that is good, I can ask for his/her hours, and maybe even give them some small gifts to show appreciation. " this is 1 thing I would NEVER do! Its 1 thing if they mention it to you (never happened to me) Ive seen some csrs who were behind the cs counter or MC counter, be a reg cashier another time. Now if the csr says You know I shouldnt be doing this, thats another thing, never happened to me either.

Small talk is OK, but keep it short and non-personal.and never anything about what you are doing unless they say something first And be prepared for many a Rejection and having to try another location[/QUOTE Taking gifts is against company policy.]
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:44 pm

The best is to find a GF at walmart MC and then give her some gift afterwards. Worst case if the WM finds out that she had been not following the WM procedures then they let her go which is not a big deal but by the time they find out it could be 3 months, 6 months, 6 years and you and her would have already made a ton of money.
calwatch and littlewinglet like this.

Last edited by Gitangali; Oct 16, 2021 at 9:52 am
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:44 pm

Honestly, the best thing to do is get a job at Walmart and work your way toward a managerial position in charge of the money center. That way you get the set the policy.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:54 pm

The MC staff is watched very closely by Asset Protection. They not only watch the cameras, but also the transactions. A WM that I only frequent on occasion just lost two MC Associates that had been with WM for 11 and 7 years respectfully. They were not following MC procedures, and were told that they could either resign with a neutral recommendation, or be fired. I’m not certain what exactly they did or didn’t do, but I always viewed both of them as fairly conscientious. It’s such a shame, as one of them was an older lady, and the other was a single parent.
littlewinglet and cuthroat like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 7:00 pm

p2 gets the job in asset protection
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Agoldsc1
No, I hear you. It's a delicate balance between being inconspicuous and building a relationship.

I'm pretty sophisticated with these things so continue giving it a shot. I have a plan B for liquidating anyway.

Thanks for your help and advise-- it's helpful.
Although I didnt step inside a Wally for unloading reasons today. I did my reg route (which is in another State), to unload 5 figures in cards, unloading 200s and 500s. My 1st stop had a new csr, I swiped my card and bingo she asks to see it saying why did I swipe it and not input it using the chip. Nothing to do but show it to her and she CXs the transaction. Stop #2, walk in and see that the girl with a bum leg is working, she hates me since I ask for 1 MO at a time and she has problems walking, so I turn around and walk out, she knows what Im doing and wont let me do it. 3rd stop o-o-o sign for MOs.Stop #4 finally BAU, stop #5 o-o-o again. I then ran my #s and realized even if I went to back-up stores I will still be short , so I decided to get 3 MOs per store just incase I cant get any at another store. TG teh rest of teh day goes BAU.

My point is AFAIK none of the csrs have a fixed schedule, and its a crap shoot every time I walk in as to if Im walking out empty handed or not. Could be some folks dont run into what I did, the last time I did the route no problems with any store I walked into, walked out with MOs from every one. . And Wallys are no different nowadays, as Forest Grump said so well, Mama said Unloading cards is like a box of chocolate you dont want you will get till bite in (walk in). Personally I believe my days are numbered till MB does The EC as it has The WC

The crazy part is at store #1, there was a woman ahead of me that was sending a wad of ca$h via WU and the csr doesnt bat an eye, yet feels those with cards are up to no good.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 5:40 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
The crazy part is at store #1, there was a woman ahead of me that was sending a wad of ca$h via WU and the csr doesnt bat an eye, yet feels those with cards are up to no good.
The CSR doesn't give a hoot if the above owner of the cash is the wife of Pablo Escobar. All the CSR knows is that when she hands a MO for $500 over to the cash bearing buyer, that cash goes into her drawer and at the end of the shift, if all the numbers add up, she is good to go home.

However, when you are swiping a piece of plastic and the computer tells her that the plastic had $500 on it and she has to believe it, that is a different story. No cash to handle, no putting green stuff in a register drawer. She has to have faith that the computer is telling her the truth and at the end of the day, everything is going to be all right.

So here is my story from yesterday. Went to WM to buy an $800 MO with 4 swipes of cards. All is going well but....at the end of the third swipe, the drawer opens and the CSR says, we are done. I say, no we are not, I still have to swipe my fourth card. She wants to argue, but I convince her to look at the printed out receipt (which was for an $800 MO.). She had accidentally inputted a cash deposit of $200 which left me one swipe short and WM $200 short in the till. Simple mistake, but if I hadn't caught it and made her change it, she would have been short $200 at the end of her shift.

I am certain stories like this with less happy endings percolate throughout the WM system (and non-WM as well). So I can see why someone not quite comfortable doing MOs would be much happier dealing with cash transactions than doing swipes from a DC. And to justify their choice, what is easier than claiming that their stance is due to money laundering concerns??

Addendum: Now I am going to have to avoid this WM for the next 1-2 months since I am certain that the event has been discussed and bandied about with probably unfortunate (for me) consequences
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by radonc1
The CSR doesn't give a hoot if the above owner of the cash is the wife of Pablo Escobar. All the CSR knows is that when she hands a MO for $500 over to the cash bearing buyer, that cash goes into her drawer and at the end of the shift, if all the numbers add up, she is good to go home.

However, when you are swiping a piece of plastic and the computer tells her that the plastic had $500 on it and she has to believe it, that is a different story. No cash to handle, no putting green stuff in a register drawer. She has to have faith that the computer is telling her the truth and at the end of the day, everything is going to be all right.

So here is my story from yesterday. Went to WM to buy an $800 MO with 4 swipes of cards. All is going well but....at the end of the third swipe, the drawer opens and the CSR says, we are done. I say, no we are not, I still have to swipe my fourth card. She wants to argue, but I convince her to look at the printed out receipt (which was for an $800 MO.). She had accidentally inputted a cash deposit of $200 which left me one swipe short and WM $200 short in the till. Simple mistake, but if I hadn't caught it and made her change it, she would have been short $200 at the end of her shift.

I am certain stories like this with less happy endings percolate throughout the WM system (and non-WM as well). So I can see why someone not quite comfortable doing MOs would be much happier dealing with cash transactions than doing swipes from a DC. And to justify their choice, what is easier than claiming that their stance is due to money laundering concerns??

Addendum: Now I am going to have to avoid this WM for the next 1-2 months since I am certain that the event has been discussed and bandied about with probably unfortunate (for me) consequences

1- what you went thru, had the same happen years ago with the $500s, and did exactly as you did, I had no problem going back there especially if he was working the CS counter as he definitely remembered me and saving him $500

As to ca$h vs cards, as long as the computer shows the $$ taken off the card/s the csr doesnt care since the reg will even out. But more often then not when they catch me they say it must be a bank card or ca$h due to money laundering, yet will take that hand full ca$h w/o any problems not knowing if its drug money or ill gotten from somewhere. I can deal with the "that card isnt allowed, not so much the DUMB reasons they expound on".
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Tectomoc
Honestly, the best thing to do is get a job at Walmart and work your way toward a managerial position in charge of the money center. That way you get the set the policy.
We can dream.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:46 am

As to ca$h vs cards, as long as the computer shows the $$ taken off the card/s the csr doesnt care since the reg will even out. But more often then not when they catch me they say it must be a bank card or ca$h due to money laundering, yet will take that hand full ca$h w/o any problems not knowing if its drug money or ill gotten from somewhere. I can deal with the "that card isnt allowed, not so much the DUMB reasons they expound on".
I am enjoying the discussion.

Let me use another analogy.
Taking a DC is like a religious observation. With the Pagan, they performed sacrifices to Gods in order to avoid retribution for behaviors that were inappropriate or for favors such as rain for the crops. There was a physical event (sacrifice) that took place for a specific purpose and anyone and everyone could usually see it.

With the Western religions, prayer forms the basis of supplication. While one might eat a wafer or kiss or cross, the primary foundation of Western religion is personal faith that our praying will provide the necessary impetus for obtaining God's favor.

The WM CSR can be likened to a religious follower. If they are pagan by nature, then they want a physical sacrifice in the form of green paper placed into a till prior to someone obtaining a favor (MO).
If they are more of a faith based believer, then they can believe that their computer is giving them the "real story" and have faith that the favor asked for (MO) corresponds to the prayer given (your DC) There is no interaction between the time you swipe and the time the computer says that money has been transferred. The CSR has to believe that the event occurred correctly. (Hence my story about the CSR incorrectly adding $200 of imaginary money to my MO purchase).

IF you try and tell a Pagan that all they need to do is pray for a result, you might get some blow-back in the form of "I can't do that, because you are not giving me the right sacrifice (i.e. cash)". So what they do is tell you that your offering is not legit, i.e it's ML

Their problem is solved and you walk out empty handed.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:39 am

Although I didnt step inside a Wally for unloading reasons today. I did my reg route (which is in another State), to unload 5 figures in cards, unloading 200s and 500s. My 1st stop had a new csr, I swiped my card and bingo she asks to see it saying why did I swipe it and not input it using the chip. Nothing to do but show it to her and she CXs the transaction. Stop #2, walk in and see that the girl with a bum leg is working, she hates me since I ask for 1 MO at a time and she has problems walking, so I turn around and walk out, she knows what Im doing and wont let me do it. 3rd stop o-o-o sign for MOs.Stop #4 finally BAU, stop #5 o-o-o again. I then ran my #s and realized even if I went to back-up stores I will still be short , so I decided to get 3 MOs per store just incase I cant get any at another store. TG teh rest of teh day goes BAU.

My point is AFAIK none of the csrs have a fixed schedule, and its a crap shoot every time I walk in as to if Im walking out empty handed or not. Could be some folks dont run into what I did, the last time I did the route no problems with any store I walked into, walked out with MOs from every one. . And Wallys are no different nowadays, as Forest Grump said so well, Mama said Unloading cards is like a box of chocolate you dont want you will get till bite in (walk in). Personally I believe my days are numbered till MB does The EC as it has The WC

What does "o-o-o sign" and "till MB does The EC as it has The WC" mean?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:41 am

I guess the saying "no good deed goes unpunished" fits here. Did you woman appreciate you fixing her mistake?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Zepcro
I guess the saying "no good deed goes unpunished" fits here. Did you woman appreciate you fixing her mistake?
It took a few minutes for her to figure out the error she had made, but I was not going to leave until it had been fixed.

And yes, she did thank me for the catch
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:36 pm

It took a few minutes for her to figure out the error she had made, but I was not going to leave until it had been fixed.

And yes, she did thank me for the catch
I've done that more than once. For me, it creates trust where I may have a little more leeway with them next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.