FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   2019 Shutdown Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1948543-2019-shutdown-thread.html)

bbriscoe34 Sep 25, 2019 11:10 am

Originally Posted by GundamWing01 (Post 31560175)
you need to be careful and take it easy. not sure how long you have been playing the game but citi doesnt mess around. since you are cycling they are throttling your limits and have been referred to the "high risk" dept. that alone should tell you that eyes are on your account. proceed with caution.

What actually qualifies as cycling?

I will sometimes make multiple payments after I get my statment form different accounts - maybe the annual insurance bill hit so I pay that amount off from my insurance/property tax non-escrowed savings acct, then pay the balance from checking? I usually don't pay my bill before I get the statement, but on a few occasions when I get reimbursed from my employer I will pay that amount immediately just so I'm not carrying excess debt.

TTT103 Sep 25, 2019 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 (Post 31562621)
What actually qualifies as cycling?

I will sometimes make multiple payments after I get my statment form different accounts - maybe the annual insurance bill hit so I pay that amount off from my insurance/property tax non-escrowed savings acct, then pay the balance from checking? I usually don't pay my bill before I get the statement, but on a few occasions when I get reimbursed from my employer I will pay that amount immediately just so I'm not carrying excess debt.

What you are doing seems fine. What banks tend not to like is for folks to charge up to their credit limit, pay it off, and repeat during a given cycle. For example, if you have a $10K credit limit, charge $10K, pay it off, charge another $10K, pay it off, and so on during a given cycle.

GundamWing01 Sep 25, 2019 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103 (Post 31563015)
What you are doing seems fine. What banks tend not to like is for folks to charge up to their credit limit, pay it off, and repeat during a given cycle. For example, if you have a $10K credit limit, charge $10K, pay it off, charge another $10K, pay it off, and so on during a given cycle.

exactly. you may be OK if you are cycling via organic spend. meaning, you have a legitimate need for more CL but having to cycle vs higher limits. however, if the "need" is for MS and its all GCM or Simon, then youve got eyes on your account in a bad way.

Chelski Sep 25, 2019 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader (Post 31558944)
you can load BB from a Walmart self checkout?

You can load BB at any register with a cashier who is willing to try. This is so old.

Xephyr Sep 25, 2019 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01 (Post 31560175)
you need to be careful and take it easy. not sure how long you have been playing the game but citi doesnt mess around. since you are cycling they are throttling your limits and have been referred to the "high risk" dept. that alone should tell you that eyes are on your account. proceed with caution.

Like I said, I'll probably lay low on using this card. In the meantime I'll probably get the card from Alliant and MS off of that.

coltonatx Oct 9, 2019 1:34 pm

Has anyone ever been able to obtain a Citi credit card years after a shut down?

GundamWing01 Oct 9, 2019 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by coltonatx (Post 31610372)
Has anyone ever been able to obtain a Citi credit card years after a shut down?

i think with every bank, there are always a few DPs of people getting back in. also DPs of getting shut down after. so i mean, at this point, any DP wont really help you since its YMMV. you could always just apply and see. if you were already shut down, you cant make it any worse.

do you mind sharing your citi shutdown experience? curious what happened.

barterback Nov 6, 2019 12:09 pm

All P2 Chaas3 accounts have been shutdn. Here is what I suspect caused the shutdn:

- Buying 3 back to back GC on 5x category

- Cycling credit for the first time and make large purchases in the very first statement cycle to hit MSR (P2 availability for MS is limited so I was trying to hit MS quickly, which in hindsight was a big mistake)

- Chaas3 called P2 and was asking questions whether someone is trying to scam P2 to buy these GCs.

P2 does not want to handle this kinda stress call, so I am planning to call to request reinstatement and need some guidance:
  1. I do not want to risk my account shutdn so how can I talk on P2 behalf without disclosing my full identity?
  2. Should I be upfront that P2 is buying GC to give as business gifts on Xmas? P2 has a legit business.
  3. There is only 5x spend on CF, and most recently 3 back to back GC purchases within 15 minutes. Should I disclose that yes, those were GC purchases because GCs were on sale. At this point, I am fine if Chaas3 does not recognize them as 5x purchases as long as they reinstate the accounts.
Any other suggestions?

GundamWing01 Nov 6, 2019 3:49 pm

why no amex shutdown DPs?

GundamWing01 Nov 6, 2019 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by barterback (Post 31708590)
All P2 Chaas3 accounts have been shutdn. Here is what I suspect caused the shutdn:

- Buying 3 back to back GC on 5x category

- Cycling credit for the first time and make large purchases in the very first statement cycle to hit MSR (P2 availability for MS is limited so I was trying to hit MS quickly, which in hindsight was a big mistake)

- Chaas3 called P2 and was asking questions whether someone is trying to scam P2 to buy these GCs.

P2 does not want to handle this kinda stress call, so I am planning to call to request reinstatement and need some guidance:
  1. I do not want to risk my account shutdn so how can I talk on P2 behalf without disclosing my full identity?
  2. Should I be upfront that P2 is buying GC to give as business gifts on Xmas? P2 has a legit business.
  3. There is only 5x spend on CF, and most recently 3 back to back GC purchases within 15 minutes. Should I disclose that yes, those were GC purchases because GCs were on sale. At this point, I am fine if Chaas3 does not recognize them as 5x purchases as long as they reinstate the accounts.
Any other suggestions?

you need to go read the reddit chase shutdown thread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...rts_megathread

many people in similar situations. you also leave out a lot of detail so its difficult to grasp your situation and your overall chase risk exposure. but thats your call. feel free to share however much youre comfortable.

ChrisFlyer66 Nov 6, 2019 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01 (Post 31709344)
why no amex shutdown DPs?

There is a thread in the Amex forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...shutdowns.html

GundamWing01 Nov 6, 2019 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 (Post 31709450)
There is a thread in the Amex forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...shutdowns.html

oh no wonder. thank you for the FYI.

1matthew8 Nov 12, 2019 10:36 am

1. capi uno/venture
2. 2 accts, 13k and 5k, 20 mos. and 6 mos
3. 4500 5k checking 10k savings
4. 90k total ?
5. cycled 1st account for about 6 months a year ago?
6. No BP, ach transfer from credit union and ch@@se with MO deposits
7. No

CC accounts have not been shut down by the bank. I got a call from them yesterday and today. They wanted to ask me about my account activity so I just closed the accounts and paid off the balances. I have no intention of speaking with them. I have had 4 total cap uno accounts over the past 3 years and the past two have been MS spending. I recently applied for an auto loan with them and had some new hard inquiries as a result. I am wondering what triggered this because it seems to have come out of nowhere. I would have expected this more while I was doing heavier MS a year ago with GCM. Any ideas/advice moving forward? I have never had this happen before.

ChrisFlyer66 Nov 12, 2019 11:08 am

Originally Posted by 1matthew8 (Post 31729231)
1. capi uno/venture
4. 90k total ?
7. No

CC accounts have not been shut down by the bank. I got a call from them yesterday and today. They wanted to ask me about my account activity so I just closed the accounts and paid off the balances. I have no intention of speaking with them. I have had 4 total cap uno accounts over the past 3 years and the past two have been MS spending. I recently applied for an auto loan with them and had some new hard inquiries as a result. I am wondering what triggered this because it seems to have come out of nowhere. I would have expected this more while I was doing heavier MS a year ago with GCM. Any ideas/advice moving forward? I have never had this happen before.

Cap1 will eventually shut you down if you MS heavily with them. That said, a phone call asking about your activity does not necessarily mean a shutdown is imminent. Since you closed the cards on your own you should be able to get Cap1 cards again in the future (I would probably wait about 2 years before applying again).

808traveler Nov 12, 2019 11:18 am

Originally Posted by 1matthew8 (Post 31729231)
1. capi uno/venture
4. 90k total ?
7. No

Admittedly not a cap uno expert, but it seems reasonable to suspect that the auto loan application could've initiated some human scrutiny into your accounts.