Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FreakingFlyer
When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2019 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:46 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
That assumes the cash back is a "Loss". But they do get money from swipe fees. I don't know exactly how much, but I'm sure it is enough that they aren't losing the entire $2000. Just googling it I see that swipe fees average around 2%, but are higher for premium credit cards.
You can go into the details if you like. I'm sure Costco is not paying more than 2% swipe fees to Citi.

It is known that Citi DC gets probably most of the shut-downs. Do not think Citi would be prepared to payout $2,000 in this case. This is not what this intended for (credit cycling). It poses risks to the bank.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by RedSun
You can go into the details if you like. I'm sure Costco is not paying more than 2% swipe fees to Citi.

It is known that Citi DC gets probably most of the shut-downs. Do not think Citi would be prepared to payout $2,000 in this case. This is not what this intended for (credit cycling). It poses risks to the bank.
I was just trying to say it is not really a $2000 loss (maybe a loss, but much less than $2000). I wasn't disagreeing with anything else you were saying or suggesting. I absolutely agree that cycling your credit limit can lead to shutdowns, especially with Citibank.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I was just trying to say it is not really a $2000 loss (maybe a loss, but much less than $2000). I wasn't disagreeing with anything else you were saying or suggesting. I absolutely agree that cycling your credit limit can lead to shutdowns, especially with Citibank.
I agree with you. You can certainly calculate the true "economic loss" and more. Some of the large banks, like Citi, BA and Wells Fargo are known to be pressing very hard on those credit card portfolios to generate profit. The cost cutting will certainly gets into the credit card payouts.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:29 pm

This argument makes no sense. If the bank loses on $100,000 in purchases with a 2% card in a month, doesn't it also lose on a $20,000 purchase with a 2% card in a month? The swipe fees are the same for spending $20,000 over 5 months as for spending $100,000 in 1 month.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:41 pm
Suspended

You are the one has been arguing it again and again.

If Citi does have net loss from paying out the 2% CB, it would certainly rather lose on the $20,000, not on the $100,000 for the month.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If Citi does have net loss from paying out the 2% CB, it would certainly rather lose on the $20,000, not on the $100,000 for the month.
So then why come out with the card at all if they lose on accounts large and small?

As a merchant who just reviewed his July 2019 interchange statement, I can tell you that my average fee was 2.3%. That's average. That includes debit cards. Plenty of fees per card are over 3%.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:06 pm

Moi Where did I ever say the banks lose money by offering rewards cards?

If the banks lose money, why would they raise anyone's credit limit for active spending (which is what many do)?

And, getting back to the earlier discussion, if the banks thought a credit limit should be the limit for a month's spending on a card, they could easily program it in. Simply don't make any more credit available, regardless of payments, until after the monthly statement closes.
Zgirl likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Lobachevsky
And, getting back to the earlier discussion, if the banks thought a credit limit should be the limit for a month's spending on a card, they could easily program it in. Simply don't make any more credit available, regardless of payments, until after the monthly statement closes.
Exactly. Your credit limit is just the total exposure that the bank is willing to risk at any given time.
So if your credit limit is $5k, the bank has weighed the risks of lending to you and determined that $5k is the most they’d be willing to lose if you default.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Moi Where did I ever say the banks lose money by offering rewards cards?

If the banks lose money, why would they raise anyone's credit limit for active spending (which is what many do)?

Then sure just cycle the CL. Good luck. At least I get chance to see the light and won't get shut-down with the cycling.

There are always some people who just like to argue....
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:33 pm

Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Shut it down.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Just like to add it. The manager at my local S&S grocery store says there are several HTs who come to the store and buy the max $5,000 GCs everyday. So it is about $150,000 per month. And she said some are couples. So it is $300,000 per month just one grocery store alone. They certainly could be doing Stapes, OD/OM, GCC, GCM and more. Sky is the limit.

I really admire their work ethics and courage. They generate a good return and take a lot of risk at the same time. I wish them the best luck.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: All of them
In this business if you haven't been shut down once or twice, you're not working hard enough
chaser123, TyPo311 and RedSun like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:34 am

And you know the cause is CL cycling how, exactly? Do you think that if you used a non-rewards card with the same CL cycling you'd be closed down? Banks love to see extensive card use--as long as that use is profitable to the banks.
You're not considering a Bank's Government Regulatory Requirements under the BSA, "Bank Secrecy Act", I.E. "Know Your Customer".

Don't assume ALL Credit Card shutdowns are in any way related to a bank's perceived rewards losses.

Most banks issue Credit limits based on a combination and consideration of the external risk model they purchase from FICO, their own internal risk model, and the prospective customer's DTI, (Debt-To-Income Ratio).

If a prime borrower. (based on Internal/External risk model scores), tells a bank they make $100,000/year, is then issued a Credit card with a $20,000 credit limit, and then proceeds to charge and pay back in full their full pre-tax annual income reported in a single month, (perhaps repeated for several months in a row). What exactly should the bank conclude from this activity?
RedSun likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Abflying
I agree, I read through all the terms again and only mentioned point are Cash advances & cash equivalent. Well then again banks will be banks,
From Google:
Cash equivalents are stored-value products such as gift certificates and gift cards. The IRS specifically defines these instruments as cash equivalents and states that their value is considered taxable income to the recipient, regardless of dollar value. (when talking about giving a GC to an employee).

So if Discover says that they do not give the 2% rebate on cash equivalents, then GCs are excluded.
The fact that it took them 1 year to discover that a person was receiving a disallowed benefit has nothing to do with their TOS.
And since, logically, it is impossible for them to claw back the already received payments, they just went the next step and shut down the transgressor's account.
TyPo311 and RedSun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.