Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Debit/Credit Accepted for Health Insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!

I just signed up for Obamacare. When I went to pay my first premium, they were accepting debit and credit cards for payment.

In my case, my premium is about $1200 but I get a $1100 subsidy, and I chose to apply $1000 of it. So my actual payment is only $200. However, I could probably decline the advance subsidy and pay the full premium, then get it as a refund on my taxes.

There was also a phone number to call, so if I needed to split the payment over multiple cards I could probably do it.

For me, it's not worth it to turn things upside down to get a little more spend. However, it's reassuring to know it's there. My biggest fear in this hobby, by far, is to have WM change their rules at a time when I have an unusually large inventory of cards. This at least tells me that I have a way to liquidate $30K of cards over two years.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, Avios, UA, DL, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Rapid Rewards
are you sure you can pay subsequent payments with cc? I thought it was only for the first payment.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Medicare allows you to pay its premiums with a credit card.
sdsearch and pointsaholic like this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:37 am

Your inventory of gift cards held for more than a few hours should be zero.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by lobo411
Your inventory of gift cards held for more than a few hours should be zero.
That's not really possible if you're doing large volume and doing it efficiently. You'd have to go to SM every day.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Blue Cross blue shield of Florida (Florida Blue) allows credit card payments at CVS. Limit of $999 in a 24 hour period.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pointsaholic
are you sure you can pay subsequent payments with cc? I thought it was only for the first payment.
It depends totally on the specific insurance company (in fact, it may depend on a particular state's or region's division).

And, btw, some insurance companies accepting credit cards for all payments while others do not is not just with health insurance, the same thing happens with car insurance and other types of insurance as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.