Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Shell Fuel Rewards Network: MS'ing for free gas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shell Fuel Rewards Network: MS'ing for free gas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:35 am

I have Shell FR from Giant/SS that work in VA, MD, NJ, FL, CA, etc

Does anyone know if these work in the upstate NY area like Rochester, Syracuse, Buffallo

Per the app it seems like there is one station out of 10 in the area that will show the lower price but then it is not a shell station. So do we use ALT ID or have to have some FR card etc? The others show NA so I am not sure if that means no discount or they are not reporting prices so it does not show in the app.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by drsaab
I have Shell FR from Giant/SS that work in VA, MD, NJ, FL, CA, etc

Does anyone know if these work in the upstate NY area like Rochester, Syracuse, Buffallo

Per the app it seems like there is one station out of 10 in the area that will show the lower price but then it is not a shell station. So do we use ALT ID or have to have some FR card etc? The others show NA so I am not sure if that means no discount or they are not reporting prices so it does not show in the app.
I was in Syracuse last year and went to the two non-shell stations that show up. There was a prompt on the pump for some discount program (Home Depot card or something at one, can't remember at the other) but alt-ID didn't work and I didn't have my FR card to try. Not exactly the info you want, but bring your physical FR card for a better shot at getting a discount is my advice.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
I was in Syracuse last year and went to the two non-shell stations that show up. There was a prompt on the pump for some discount program (Home Depot card or something at one, can't remember at the other) but alt-ID didn't work and I didn't have my FR card to try. Not exactly the info you want, but bring your physical FR card for a better shot at getting a discount is my advice.
yes, I was in Syracuse last month and yes, if you use your FR card takes off for the SS/Giant rewards but not the standard Shell rewards (eg Tmobile shell code, etc)
Bigzamboni likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:48 am

I was just wondering if any of you purchase discounted Shell gc somewhere to combine with the GC deals (ie 3X Rewards on Visa gc) posted in the other thread. I used to receive credit from Swagbucks at Best Buy for $100+ purchases but that no longer seems to work.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Zepcro
I was just wondering if any of you purchase discounted Shell gc somewhere to combine with the GC deals (ie 3X Rewards on Visa gc) posted in the other thread. I used to receive credit from Swagbucks at Best Buy for $100+ purchases but that no longer seems to work.
I routinely stock up on Shell GC at 20% off whenever the local grocery chain (Publix) offers those deals. Lately I've also noticed a curious weekly price game by the local Shell stations. They would drop prices gradually toward Mondays, then jack them up by as much as $0.20/gal on Tuesdays (following the release of the Fuel Rewards 10c codes). So don't run your fuel tanks close to empty, or you might get caught in such fluctuations.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I routinely stock up on Shell GC at 20% off whenever the local grocery chain (Publix) offers those deals. Lately I've also noticed a curious weekly price game by the local Shell stations. They would drop prices gradually toward Mondays, then jack them up by as much as $0.20/gal on Tuesdays (following the release of the Fuel Rewards 10c codes). So don't run your fuel tanks close to empty, or you might get caught in such fluctuations.
Unfortunately there are no Publix anywhere near me. The Shells near me don't do that.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:23 am

I don’t know if this has been mentioned before, but. — you can effectively combine the Fuel Rewards and Gas Buddy discount programs, by using a Gas Buddy WEX card to purchase fuel at station that gives both FR and GB discounts. For those of us that combine Giant and SNS points to effectively get free has, the addition of the GB discount turns it into a moneymaker , usually a buck or two per fill up. Woo hoo!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
I don’t know if this has been mentioned before, but. — you can effectively combine the Fuel Rewards and Gas Buddy discount programs, by using a Gas Buddy WEX card to purchase fuel at station that gives both FR and GB discounts. For those of us that combine Giant and SNS points to effectively get free has, the addition of the GB discount turns it into a moneymaker , usually a buck or two per fill up. Woo hoo!
Is Gas Buddy paying you money back based on the amount of gallons you purchased or your total purchase price? Have you already done a field test with this yourself?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
I had the same setup where the GB transaction showed a negative value (a credit) but it stays at pending and no money is deposited into the back account. I use Bank of America though. Not sure if it works for other banks.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lobo411
I would never drive around with a gas can full of gas...too much risk of a static discharge igniting the gas (AKA ... a bomb). Besides, gas has a shelf life and you always want the freshest product available.

I would, and do, try to cram as much gas as I can into the tank, though. On my Explorer, I can usually get another 2 gallons in just by rocking the truck enough to get the gas tank to burp. Probably looks funny to anyone watching, but nobody said saving $$ looked sexy!
So you won't carry a gas can out of fear of something that never happens (those fire occur while fueling, not carrying), but you'll risk destroying the evap system in your vehicle by overfilling the fuel tank? Makes perfect sense.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by antagon

I had the same setup where the GB transaction showed a negative value (a credit) but it stays at pending and no money is deposited into the back account. I use Bank of America though. Not sure if it works for other banks.
My experience is that the savings is not deposited back to your bank account, rather it “sits” there until you have a GB-WEX charge that exceeds the savings amount. So, say my cumulative GB savings is $2. If I then use the card to buy $10 of gas, the charge to my bank account will only be $8.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:21 pm

Can anyone currently use Shell Fuel Rewards? Their usual website does not come up, and I can't sign on to the mobile app either.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 10:04 pm

Can anyone currently use Shell Fuel Rewards? Their usual website does not come up, and I can't sign on to the mobile app either.
Website is working for me.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by gw14
Website is working for me.
Still nothing for me, using FF, IE, Opera/Chrome.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:35 pm

Still nothing for me, using FF, IE, Opera/Chrome.
Follow-up: Finally figured what's happening -- Fuel Rewards banned my home IP address. When I connected via VPN and desktop, the website and my account came up just fine. The mobile app also connected without problems after I turned off home WiFi.
Tried to think why they would do that, and came up with very little. Lately I've redeemed a T-Mo savings code almost every week. Also bought some RDS stock a month ago when it dipped. That's about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.