Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Fully Refundable Flights with Discounted Airline Gift Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Several dozen

Any experience buying fully refundable airline flights using discounted airline gift cards? How does the refund process if say 90% of the flight was paid with a discounted gift card and 10% with a credit card?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Any experience buying fully refundable airline flights using discounted airline gift cards? How does the refund process if say 90% of the flight was paid with a discounted gift card and 10% with a credit card?
90% of refund will go back to gift card while 10% will go back to your credit card.
radonc1 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Several dozen
I'm sure this is the way the internal control is supposed to work, but does it do so in actual practice with the 3 airlines whose gift cards are most often discounted online or available to buy at a grocer with a multi-x cash rebate card?

Originally Posted by TerryK
90% of refund will go back to gift card while 10% will go back to your credit card.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
I'm sure this is the way the internal control is supposed to work, but does it do so in actual practice with the 3 airlines whose gift cards are most often discounted online or available to buy at a grocer with a multi-x cash rebate card?
can you be our DP and let us know? 😁
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There are reports in THIS thread that Delta refunds by issuing the same number and denomination giftcards as originally redeemed to purchase the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.