Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Call from Citi asking me about GC purchases :/

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Call from Citi asking me about GC purchases :/

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by ChuckMango
Did they blacklist you? .Shut down every card or only the one they called you about?
from all the DPs I’ve seen, C1t closes all accounts. Doesn’t make sense for a bank to just shutdown one account when they deem you as a risk.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Know folks that have been shut down.
"Cycling" more than the credit line per month probably sets off some sort of "alarm".

ALSO:
One thing that could also trigger someone looking at your account(s) is if you log in frequently.
(It is a cybersecurity concern/trip wire.)
Not sure what "frequently" means, but more than once a day is probably too much.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ultraboost
To clarify, was it the double cash card that lead to the shut down, which in turn closed all your other Citi cards?
No, i never was interested in that card, way too much trouble for just 2% CB.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elegua
Had that call last summer, super nice friendly lady asking me the same and telling me the same, there is no problem sir, we just are making sure everything is fine bla, bla, bla, stopped MS for around 3 months and in Nov 2017 after my first GC purchase i got shutdown, the good thing is that it was few days after the statement cut so my points went to my AA account before i got shutdown, lost over $200 in my Costco visa card though.

Sorry to say but you are shutdown, if you value your relationship with ------ bank stop all MS for good or you will be shutdown after your first GC purchase.

Hope this help ^
No, i never was interested in that card, way too much trouble for just 2% CB.
Was it AA or the Costco Visa that triggered the review? AA only earns 1 mile per $ spend so should even be less worthy.

Was it a TYP card?

From the past reading Citi cares more about the double cash, and then the TYP cards but tend to leave the AA cards alone.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Mar 24, 2019 at 10:34 pm Reason: remove profanity from quote
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Was it AA or the Costco Visa that triggered the review?

From the past reading Citi cares more about the double cash, and then the TYP cards but tend to leave the AA cards alone.

AA, i was asked for the SM purchases, was doing 10k on a 15k CL at that time, Costco was 99% organic spend and 1% GC for the 4% CB, i stopped doing it couple of months before got shutdown because it was hard for me to find a gas station that sell GCs with credit card so i stopped doing it.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA, i was asked for the SM purchases, was doing 10k on a 15k CL at that time, Costco was 99% organic spend and 1% GC for the 4% CB, i stopped doing it couple of months before got shutdown because it was hard for me to find a gas station that sell GCs with credit card so i stopped doing it.
How long did the SM purchases continue before you got the call? Did you do the 10k amount each transaction like in easily recognized amount?
This is the first time I read about shut down due to MS on AA card. Seems always involving the CB or TYPs.
You might fare a lot better had you done the ms on the SPG card - would get you 1.25x or even better going thru Marriott travel package redemption. amex does not seem to care if it is regular spend. Their transaction fee earning is far more than the 1% earning you get on the SPG.

I also suspect that the first GC bought after 3 months hiatus does not trigger the shut down. The shutdown would come regardless once you got that call. At least now Citi calls so people have enough time to empty out their TYPs and may stop spending on any reward earning cards.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 23, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:38 pm

I’m surprised that $10k/$15k wouldnraise questions. Was it bonus categories?

is there a thread that talks about similar amex FR shutdowns with MS?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gumercindo
I’m surprised that $10k/$15k wouldnraise questions. Was it bonus categories?

is there a thread that talks about similar amex FR shutdowns with MS?
AA card does not have any bonus category other than purchase on AA. So SM spend only earns 1x. Haven't read about MS on AA caused shut down esp only 2/3 CL used.
AMEX does not reward sign up bonus on SM spend but does not seem to care on regular earning.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Anyone know if this is the kiss of death?
To make this simple for you - you did not provide enough information to determine the potential outcome.

So I would say it is immature to say your potential outcome.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
They should be congratulating you for using the card so much!
hi55us and devastitis like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:18 am

How long did the SM purchases continue before you got the call? Did you do the 10k amount each transaction like in easily recognized amount?
This is the first time I read about shut down due to MS on AA card. Seems always involving the CB or TYPs.
You might fare a lot better had you done the ms on the SPG card - would get you 1.25x or even better going thru Marriott travel package redemption. amex does not seem to care if it is regular spend. Their transaction fee earning is far more than the 1% earning you get on the SPG.

I also suspect that the first GC bought after 3 months hiatus does not trigger the shut down. The shutdown would come regardless once you got that call. At least now Citi calls so people have enough time to empty out their TYPs and may stop spending on any reward earning cards.
Yeah, need more info about the SM purchases - what amounts are we talking about? $2k per week? $5k at a time? etc.

AA card does not have any bonus category other than purchase on AA. So SM spend only earns 1x. Haven't read about MS on AA caused shut down esp only 2/3 CL used.
AMEX does not reward sign up bonus on SM spend but does not seem to care on regular earning.
Regarding AMEX, yeah, they seem to be more strict with bonus spend (RAT) but still curious if shut downs ever happen on charge card MS on bonus cats.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
What exactly did you say back to the agent?

I got a call from Chase a while back about purchasing patterns. Turned out to be a pro-forma thing they were doing for people who might be buying gift cards for business purposes, just a regulatory compliance set of checkboxes. Bored agent asking questions, I gave them the answers they wanted to hear, and that was the end of it. Agents just want to move on to to next call and hit their quota. Don't think they get a BONUS for shutting you down. If it's stores that report L3, say you buy GC and do X with them.. Company bonusses, charity, whatever. Give them a happy ending, you'll get one too.
Chase is not citi, your results will not be the same. Citi will shut you down within a few months of this call even if you cease all activity.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: Several dozen
Likely they will shut down the credit card accounts of any authorized users, even if they never used their card. And they will shut down any other bank account and credit accounts the authorized users (or household members sharing the same address) have that are independent of you.

Yeah figured... done as in blacklisted?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gumercindo
Yeah, need more info about the SM purchases - what amounts are we talking about? $2k per week? $5k at a time? etc.
Regarding AMEX, yeah, they seem to be more strict with bonus spend (RAT) but still curious if shut downs ever happen on charge card MS on bonus cats.
Regardless it is charge card or credit card, SM does not earn ANY bonus even the card has bonus spend, like a statement credit above a monthly threshold. Zip. You do earn spend points though and apparently AMEX does not care for this due to it still makes enough money from the merchant fee which could be over 2.5%. therefore it may rather let you earn the regular spend pts versus you do not make much meaningful spend.

That is why the AA card shut down is odd, unless Citi does not make any money even on the 1x card due to they overpaid for AA miles. Possible.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I am surprised that you were even able to use the Citi AA card at SM to buy $10K worth of cards. I have been forever stymied by Citi denying my GC charges at SM (and I am talking as little as $3000!!). Citi declines the transaction and makes me call them to release the account which they do, but SM has the 24 hour rule where you cannot use a declined card for a subsequent purchase for the next 24 hours.
Citi will let me use their card for buying $400 worth of VGCs at Staples or Office Max and I suspect if I purchased $500 of SMGCs I would be okay, but it's easier just to use someone else's card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.