Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Call from Citi asking me about GC purchases :/

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Got a call from Citi asking about my gift card purchases and specifically asking if I was trying to gain rewards. The lady was super nice and said not to worry as this is just to make sure you are doing this activity etc. She verified income and asked other questions she was clearly reading from. But I know better and this could be a precursor to a shut down. Have been with Citi for 15 yrs and value this relationship. Phone number was 1855 688 0555, call lasted 5 minutes.

Anyone know if this is the kiss of death?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: All of them
Please provide more details. Which card, and where / how much did you spend. Thanks for the post though, this is good to know.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It was my citi card and gift cards I purchase at super markets and online. Volumes were on the heavier side but always tried not to cycle CL.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:19 am

Which Citi card was this about? What's this card's history has been in the last year or so, like mostly gift card purchases or also organic spend? Do you use other Citi cards to by gift cards or do you churn (open and close soon after) Citi cards for AA miles?

If I had gotten the call I'd probably tried to get a number to call them back on the pretense I was busy at the moment, then find out if that particular store reports Level 3 data to banks (mute point if it is GC or GCM). If they don't, I wouldn't admit to buying gift cards, admitting that probably ups the chances of a shut down.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:20 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by ChuckMango
It was my citi card and gift cards I purchase at super markets and online. Volumes were on the heavier side but always tried not to cycle CL.
More info would be helpful. There are many citi cards. Cash back cards seem to draw more attention than point earning cards. Could you be a bit more specific than just a 'citi' card?
Also could you give some sort of idea of what volume per month, even if only a ballpark. Clearly $5k pm is going to attract different attention than $50k pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
What exactly did you say back to the agent?

I got a call from Chase a while back about purchasing patterns. Turned out to be a pro-forma thing they were doing for people who might be buying gift cards for business purposes, just a regulatory compliance set of checkboxes. Bored agent asking questions, I gave them the answers they wanted to hear, and that was the end of it. Agents just want to move on to to next call and hit their quota. Don't think they get a BONUS for shutting you down. If it's stores that report L3, say you buy GC and do X with them.. Company bonusses, charity, whatever. Give them a happy ending, you'll get one too.

Last edited by ElPresidente; Jan 23, 2018 at 11:30 am
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:37 am

This happened to us on 2x Cash. Stopped MSing on the card completely and was using as daily spend card. 3 Months later the card and all Cit accounts were shutdown. Make sure and cash out as CIt will steal your accumulated rewards.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:19 pm

Yea your done, not if but when.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
Yeah figured... done as in blacklisted?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by cdog999
This happened to us on 2x Cash. Stopped MSing on the card completely and was using as daily spend card. 3 Months later the card and all Cit accounts were shutdown. Make sure and cash out as CIt will steal your accumulated rewards.
Will voluntarily close the account under scrutiny avoid the eventual shutdown?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geclub1
Will voluntarily close the account under scrutiny avoid the eventual shutdown?
no clue but probably worth a shot
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Outside of earning the initial sign-up bonus (and with a 15 year Citibank history, it doesn't sound like that), why would it matter if you're buying GCs? I don't really follow MS, I saw this in 'Trending'.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:23 pm

Got a call from Citi asking about my gift card purchases and specifically asking if I was trying to gain rewards. The lady was super nice and said not to worry as this is just to make sure you are doing this activity etc. She verified income and asked other questions she was clearly reading from. But I know better and this could be a precursor to a shut down. Have been with Citi for 15 yrs and value this relationship. Phone number was 1855 688 0555, call lasted 5 minutes.

Anyone know if this is the kiss of death?
Had that call last summer, super nice friendly lady asking me the same and telling me the same, there is no problem sir, we just are making sure everything is fine bla, bla, bla, stopped MS for around 3 months and in Nov 2017 after my first GC purchase i got shutdown, the good thing is that it was few days after the statement cut so my points went to my AA account before i got shutdown, lost over $200 in my Costco visa card though.

Sorry to say but you are shutdown, if you value your relationship with ----- bank stop all MS for good or you will be shutdown after your first GC purchase.

Hope this help ^

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Mar 24, 2019 at 10:33 pm Reason: profane
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elegua
Had that call last summer, super nice friendly lady asking me the same and telling me the same, there is no problem sir, we just are making sure everything is fine bla, bla, bla, stopped MS for around 3 months and in Nov 2017 after my first GC purchase i got shutdown, the good thing is that it was few days after the statement cut so my points went to my AA account before i got shutdown, lost over $200 in my Costco visa card though.

Sorry to say but you are shutdown, if you value your relationship with ------- bank stop all MS for good or you will be shutdown after your first GC purchase.

Hope this help ^
Did they blacklist you? .Shut down every card or only the one they called you about?

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Mar 24, 2019 at 10:33 pm Reason: quoted profanit
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by elegua

Sorry to say but you are shutdown, if you value your relationship with ------ bank stop all MS for good or you will be shutdown after your first GC purchase.

Hope this help ^
To clarify, was it the double cash card that lead to the shut down, which in turn closed all your other Citi cards?

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Mar 24, 2019 at 10:34 pm Reason: quoted profanity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.