Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MGC at Sam's Club(2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:20 am
Original Poster

MGC at Sam's Club(2018)

Thanks. Dropped back by Sam's last week and they had a few of the $500s back in stock.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by raceman94
Thanks. Dropped back by Sam's last week and they had a few of the $500s back in stock.
It could be just old stock that they put out. I've seen a few 500s here and there but the expiration date on the cards is older than the 250s so its obviously old stock.

Side question: Does anyone know if Navy is still doing double points for 2018?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Interesting. I didn't even pick it up and examine it at the time since I wasn't in there to buy VGCs, but when they open tomorrow, I'm gonna head in there and see what they have.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:59 am

checked out my SC 12/29, no more 500s. at one time, they a few Disney 500 variables.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lumangoy
checked out my SC 12/29, no more 500s. at one time, they a few Disney 500 variables.
Bummer. Hopefully things will change for the better soon.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Does Sam's sell VGC's that can be purchased with a credit card?

Discover has warehouse clubs as a 5% category this quarter, so that could cover a lot of sins in terms of the purchase fee.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
What are people doing with the Bancorp/Vanilla MGCs? USPS is dead for MOs the last time I checked?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by redtop43
Does Sam's sell VGC's that can be purchased with a credit card?

Discover has warehouse clubs as a 5% category this quarter, so that could cover a lot of sins in terms of the purchase fee.
While it is true that Discover has 5% for warehouses this quarter, the max you can spend for the bonus is $1500 so your bonus return is a maximum of $75.

Discover is not going to be much of a MS modality IMO.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:42 am

I went to my local Sam's today, they do have 500 VGC/MGC at the gift card part. However, when I tried to check out, the cashier told me that this card cannot be used(It did not go through the computer). However, 250 works fine so I assume that the 500 is still not available even if it is in store now. Maybe wait a few days but who knows,
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
While it is true that Discover has 5% for warehouses this quarter, the max you can spend for the bonus is $1500 so your bonus return is a maximum of $75.

Discover is not going to be much of a MS modality IMO.
I'm aware of the issue. This is my first year with a Discover card, so I get double, meaning it would be $150. It wouldn't be my primary MS activity, but why leave something like that on the table? Also, Wholesale Clubs are a category for the fourth quarter, and Grocery Stores (I have one locally that sells GC's) for the second quarter.

So back to the original question, does SC sell VGC's with a credit card? I guess I can just go and find out.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:41 am

I'm aware of the issue. This is my first year with a Discover card, so I get double, meaning it would be $150. It wouldn't be my primary MS activity, but why leave something like that on the table? Also, Wholesale Clubs are a category for the fourth quarter, and Grocery Stores (I have one locally that sells GC's) for the second quarter.

So back to the original question, does SC sell VGC's with a credit card? I guess I can just go and find out.
yes, read the end of the 2017 SC thread, most have pulled out the variable 500s, only $250 available so that 'reduces' your cash back.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:27 pm

Just was able to get 2 old stock Vanilla MGCs from the back of the stack. Interesting thing though; only the cards in a black package with a bluish gift would scan. There were also several old $500s in a yellow package with a birthday cake that would NOT scan and in fact the Sam's Club guy who was helping me went and pulled ALL of the yellow packs from the display (including the $250 max ones) to send back to the vendor.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Just was able to get 2 old stock Vanilla MGCs from the back of the stack. Interesting thing though; only the cards in a black package with a bluish gift would scan. There were also several old $500s in a yellow package with a birthday cake that would NOT scan and in fact the Sam's Club guy who was helping me went and pulled ALL of the yellow packs from the display (including the $250 max ones) to send back to the vendor.
He shouldn't have pulled the 250 birthday cards as those work fine.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:34 pm

I bought 2 $250 VGC's at SC today. When I went to WM and tried to use them to buy money orders, no go. I called Metabank and was told "Because gift cards are anonymous and money orders are anonymous, you can't use gift cards to buy money orders under the Patriot Act."

However, I went back to WM later in the day and tried to use them for bill pay, and I was able to. I used the last 4 of the card number as the PIN. So I just paid the credit card bill of the card I bought them with. Actually I made small payments on two Visa cards, and now I'll have to wait a few days to see if they post properly.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:54 pm

I bought 2 $250 VGC's at SC today. When I went to WM and tried to use them to buy money orders, no go. I called Metabank and was told "Because gift cards are anonymous and money orders are anonymous, you can't use gift cards to buy money orders under the Patriot Act."

However, I went back to WM later in the day and tried to use them for bill pay, and I was able to. I used the last 4 of the card number as the PIN. So I just paid the credit card bill of the card I bought them with. Actually I made small payments on two Visa cards, and now I'll have to wait a few days to see if they post properly.
I believe those are vanilla vgcs, so you cant use for MO. I'm surprised you were able to use for BP.

was the BP larger than 49.99?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.