Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Money Orders at Western Union

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2021, 8:30 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by radonc1
I regret to say that I have a picture of the notice that was tacked up on a Giant Eagle grocer.

As you can see, this is not a cut and paste job. The letterhead is WU's. I have no idea if this notice will be limited to just Giant Eagle supermarkets, or whether WU is going cash only on 3/1/21.

The only way we find out is for others outside of the Giant Eagle territory and who sell WU MOs using debit to report in. Are they also seeing such notices?
Wow, then MO game is dead at that store. RIP.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:37 am

I am outside of the GE footprint (southern Virginia) and there are no signs like this at any WU location. This seems like an attempt by GE to place the blame on WU instead of their CSRs being forced to have uncomfortable conversations with customers.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 10:47 am

The sign was laminated . Who the heck would laminate a photo-copied email message
Well, as they say, to someone with a hammer, everything looks like a nail, and surgeons want to cut. I guess somebody with a laminating machine wants to laminate.

We need to find out from folks outside of GE region to see if there are indications of restriction to cash, or else there may be a sudden splurge of posts on 3/1 about being unable to buy WU MOs with debit cards
Folks can check the pertinent zips around them for WU agents HERE. Just check the 'Money Orders' box in the filter.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Hammerhead87
I am outside of the GE footprint (southern Virginia) and there are no signs like this at any WU location. This seems like an attempt by GE to place the blame on WU instead of their CSRs being forced to have uncomfortable conversations with customers.
I certainly hope that it is a GE thing and not a WU thing.

I have other grocers where I do WU MOs and I would still like to be able to buy MOs after 3/1

In addition, I have been to GE stores and there are a number who do not have the sign out either, at least not yet.

That does not mean that such a policy is not being implemented
Old Feb 7, 2021, 1:14 pm

No such signs at a couple Meijer locations NE of Detroit. Def outside the GE footprint. LOL
Old Feb 8, 2021, 6:05 am

...I have been to GE stores and there are a number who do not have the sign out either, at least not yet.That does not mean that such a policy is not being implemented
It's still early. What folks have already seen could simply be as a result of the anal retentives in action.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 6:33 am
Suspended

[QUOTE=Whittaker;33023235]It's still early. What folks have already seen could simply be as a result of the anal retentives in action. [/QUOTE

Lets not forget how many stores posted the WU letter which said MOs with Ca$h or Bank DC Only, and that was a few years ago. But its a YMMV issue how each store or csr made sure it was a Bank DC you were using, so hopefully this new letter will be no different. Now if WU had its own machine where the csr had to arrange the payment then all bets would be off, but as long as its still the stores reg register then unless the store/chain hard codes its register, I just dont see how WU can enforce anything as it wont know how the payment was done.
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 6:55 am

[QUOTE=craz;33023268]
Originally Posted by Whittaker
It's still early. What folks have already seen could simply be as a result of the anal retentives in action. [/QUOTE

Lets not forget how many stores posted the WU letter which said MOs with Ca$h or Bank DC Only, and that was a few years ago. But its a YMMV issue how each store or csr made sure it was a Bank DC you were using, so hopefully this new letter will be no different. Now if WU had its own machine where the csr had to arrange the payment then all bets would be off, but as long as its still the stores reg register then unless the store/chain hard codes its register, I just dont see how WU can enforce anything as it wont know how the payment was done.
Well, there's a big difference between a "bank debit card only policy" where GCs are likely to slip through and a "cash only" policy where NO debit cards are accepted.

Obviously, plenty needs to play out, but that's apples and oranges.

And yes, stores can and do hard code their registers for debit card. That's why you can't use a credit card there.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:00 am

[QUOTE=craz;33023268]
Originally Posted by Whittaker
It's still early. What folks have already seen could simply be as a result of the anal retentives in action. [/QUOTE

As always, it depends on whether a local store will follow the rules set down by a provider.

If WU's requirement cannot be documented by them, then the local store will follow whatever procedure it wishes

However, if WU has now set a policy that it will not reimburse a store for a fraudulent transaction, then using anything other than cash (unless counterfeit) would be against the store's interest in avoiding a possible loss.

We will find out in several weeks. My fingers are crossed that you are correct (but 2 of my usual stores are sign positive )
Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:16 am

Just contacted WU and asked the obvious off-shore rep if WU had changed it policy of allowing debit cards for purchase of MOs.

His answer was no. However, one must remember the source of the information.
With that being said, I am going to presume that the new policy is a GE company one and not a WU one.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:22 am
Suspended

[QUOTE=danpeake;33023305]
Originally Posted by craz

Well, there's a big difference between a "bank debit card only policy" where GCs are likely to slip through and a "cash only" policy where NO debit cards are accepted.

Obviously, plenty needs to play out, but that's apples and oranges.

And yes, stores can and do hard code their registers for debit card. That's why you can't use a credit card there.
I disagree, WU said Bank DC only and many stores(csr's) enforced it, while many others couldnt care less/ Just as it was with WM, many csrs didnt care and knew what you were doing while others decided to play Sheriff. So as long as WU has no way to know by what means the MO was paid for and a reg register is used, theres not much bite to it, however if a store decides or the chain decides to enforce WU rules thats something else.

I cant remember the last time I saw a bank DC w/o a chip, so if the csr was watching and knows the story and sees instead of inputting the card you swiped it that should be a tell tail sign. Try swiping a CC instead of inputting it and bingo a message will pop up to input the card. It all depends how on top of things the csr/s are, some are like hawks while others couldnt care as long as the receipt says Debit. i had a mgr tell the csr who wanted to reverse the transaction, that as long as it says Debit theres no problem and its good

Now if WU will know how the MO was paid for thats something else as a few might slip thru before that store gets a call telling them NOT to accept anything but ca$h. We will know the score in a few weeks. If it doesnt die now it will eventually
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:39 pm

[QUOTE=craz;33023645]
Originally Posted by danpeake

I disagree, WU said Bank DC only and many stores(csr's) enforced it, while many others couldnt care less/ Just as it was with WM, many csrs didnt care and knew what you were doing while others decided to play Sheriff. So as long as WU has no way to know by what means the MO was paid for and a reg register is used, theres not much bite to it, however if a store decides or the chain decides to enforce WU rules thats something else.

I cant remember the last time I saw a bank DC w/o a chip, so if the csr was watching and knows the story and sees instead of inputting the card you swiped it that should be a tell tail sign. Try swiping a CC instead of inputting it and bingo a message will pop up to input the card. It all depends how on top of things the csr/s are, some are like hawks while others couldnt care as long as the receipt says Debit. i had a mgr tell the csr who wanted to reverse the transaction, that as long as it says Debit theres no problem and its good

Now if WU will know how the MO was paid for thats something else as a few might slip thru before that store gets a call telling them NOT to accept anything but ca$h. We will know the score in a few weeks. If it doesnt die now it will eventually
Not WU

I've been snooping. This is a GE thing. Apparently they have had some issues with GCs and fraud and senior management apparently threw in the towel and went to a cash only policy.

Sucks for those of us who used GE, but to their credit they have given 3 week notice before the policy goes into effect..

Just points out how fragile MSing is
soy and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 12:09 am

Programs: Northwest, United
While I certainly hope you are right, if you are, there's something strange at play. If it's really just a GE thing, what's the origin story behind the posted signs? They clearly come from WU (or have been faked so as to appear that they come from WU). Are you suggesting that GE management went to the trouble of Photoshopping the sign (or asked WU to make up a sign and send it to them so they could post it) so it looks like WU is the Bad Cop? Surely GE could just say "it's our policy, tough luck" but they sure seem to be pointing the finger at WU. Maybe I'm missing something (PM me if you care to share some critical detail discreetly). Again, I really hope you're right, but it does seem odd to me.

In any case, thanks for sharing this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 4:23 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
While I certainly hope you are right, if you are, there's something strange at play. If it's really just a GE thing, what's the origin story behind the posted signs? They clearly come from WU (or have been faked so as to appear that they come from WU). Are you suggesting that GE management went to the trouble of Photoshopping the sign (or asked WU to make up a sign and send it to them so they could post it) so it looks like WU is the Bad Cop? Surely GE could just say "it's our policy, tough luck" but they sure seem to be pointing the finger at WU. Maybe I'm missing something (PM me if you care to share some critical detail discreetly). Again, I really hope you're right, but it does seem odd to me.

In any case, thanks for sharing this.
You're thinking way too hard about this. It's a WU related service, they're using WU related logo to make the announcement. Maybe WU mandates that any changes related to their services be made on their stationery.
JSEA747 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 1:15 pm

...2 of my usual stores are sign positive
Two stores or two branches of same store?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.