Buying Money Orders at Western Union

Old Sep 27, 17, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Buying Money Orders at Western Union

There is a thread here on buying MO in USPS as well as Wally World, but not one on WU. So I started one. Discuss away!
Old Sep 27, 17, 8:31 am

Do they even let you buy MO with debit card at WU standalone locations? And what is the fee?
Old Sep 27, 17, 11:09 am

Programs: UA gold
Wally is a MG agent, not a standalone MG store.
Old Sep 27, 17, 2:06 pm

WU is a MO issuer and competes with the smaller MG. Maybe stand-alone WU locations exist somewhere, but my city only has WU agents (sellers) in convenience stores, check cashing joints, liquor stores, etc. The only chains I run into with WU are Vons/Safeway and 7-11. The hard part is finding any of these that will accept anything but cash for MO. It has happened occasionally, so I don't think WU hard codes to prevent it.

I don't see any functional difference between WU and MG MO's. The difference just lies in where you buy them.

At one Stop-N-Rob store I asked the clerk if he could take debit for a WU MO. He put one hand below the counter, stared at me for a long time, eventually said "maybe", continued staring. I decided just to get a coke, paid with cash. Call me a wimp if you like, but MS is enough fun without getting ventilated for fumbling a card.
Old Sep 27, 17, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noassumptions View Post
WU is a MO issuer and competes with the smaller MG. Maybe stand-alone WU locations exist somewhere, but my city only has WU agents (sellers) in convenience stores, check cashing joints, liquor stores, etc. The only chains I run into with WU are Vons/Safeway and 7-11. The hard part is finding any of these that will accept anything but cash for MO. It has happened occasionally, so I don't think WU hard codes to prevent it.

I don't see any functional difference between WU and MG MO's. The difference just lies in where you buy them.

At one Stop-N-Rob store I asked the clerk if he could take debit for a WU MO. He put one hand below the counter, stared at me for a long time, eventually said "maybe", continued staring. I decided just to get a coke, paid with cash. Call me a wimp if you like, but MS is enough fun without getting ventilated for fumbling a card.
Is that an invitation for bribery?
Old Sep 28, 17, 10:33 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Why don't you post your experiences in buying those, since you started the thread.
Old Sep 28, 17, 10:44 am

At the stand alone WU kiosks, they said cash only, debit cards not accepted as payment. Been years since I asked and just stick with grocery stores that accept DC for WUMOs.
Old Sep 28, 17, 6:08 pm

Mamibear, which ones are likely to work? the embeez or the beeceez? tia
Old Sep 28, 17, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by mcRib View Post
Mamibear, which ones are likely to work? the embeez or the beeceez? tia
none of them work for stand alone kiosks.

grocery stores and gas stations ~ embusy
PO, grocery stores, gas stations ~ beecorp

based on my experience. it's always YMMV so find out what works in your area.
Old Sep 28, 17, 6:25 pm

thanks!
Old Oct 16, 17, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by noassumptions View Post

When I worked at Kroger it was the store POS that limited what could be accepted to pay for a MO transaction.

WU does not limit this as the WU terminal is not connected to the Kroger POS in anyway.
Old Oct 17, 17, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by jwgmaldives View Post
There is a thread here on buying MO in USPS as well as Wally World, but not one on WU. So I started one. Discuss away!
Where is the thread for buying MO from Walmart? I'd like to find out about buying MO'S with Walmart GC'S...If it's possible to do..
Old Feb 4, 21, 7:12 am

WU MOs GESFINKTO!

Cashier at regional grocery chain pointed me to a sign on the counter saying Western Union Money Orders will be CASH ONLY/NO DEBIT as of March 1st. This was not a hand-written sign, and not from the grocery chain. It was a printed sign with the WU logo. The cashier even said, it's not us, it's WU.

Absolutely devastating. Between WM restrictions and now this, it looks to be a coordinated attack on MSing.
Old Feb 4, 21, 7:30 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Whittaker View Post
WU MOs GESFINKTO!

Cashier at regional grocery chain pointed me to a sign on the counter saying Western Union Money Orders will be CASH ONLY/NO DEBIT as of March 1st. This was not a hand-written sign, and not from the grocery chain. It was a printed sign with the WU logo. The cashier even said, it's not us, it's WU.

Absolutely devastating. Between WM restrictions and now this, it looks to be a coordinated attack on MSing.

If this happens it will be the final nail in the coffin, especially with WU's plans to buy MG
Old Feb 4, 21, 7:57 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Whittaker View Post
WU MOs GESFINKTO!

Very interesting post.

I was informed at one of my compliant grocers that just happens to do WU MOs that as of 3/1/21, MO purchases would have to be in cash. I was wondering if this was simply a single store issue or more of a company wide change in regulations.

However, when I went to another one of the chain's stores in another town, there was no indication of a limitation in use of debit cards. Furthermore, when I went to another grocery chain altogether, there was also no mention of a cash only policy.

So the above is quite interesting. However, given the sturm and drang notifications (supposedly) that we see monthly on these threads, this is also something that is definitely going to need more DPs one way or the other.

Therefore, to all, please report

Search this Thread
Search Engine: