Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:13 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

The $200 GCs are only good if you get the CCs with office supply rewards and you get some good ways to liquidate them. Or you get $500 GCs from online and they are much easier to liquidate. I do not know how much it takes for someone to get rid of 50 to 100 GCs in a short period of time.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:29 pm

Smile

On Sunday I was able to purchase 3 times $2K (3 different stores) without any fees, today 2 x 2K and the last store let me buy only 1 GC.
It looks like I'm the only MSer in my area. Redeeming the 200s for MOs at grocery stores. 46 cents for each 500. No WM needed
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zgirl
On Sunday I was able to purchase 3 times $2K (3 different stores) without any fees, today 2 x 2K and the last store let me buy only 1 GC.
It looks like I'm the only MSer in my area. Redeeming the 200s for MOs at grocery stores. 46 cents for each 500. No WM needed
This is great. But depositing $10k worth of MOs (cash) into bank account is another hazard to consider.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by dealhunter32
Did anyone else get the message "ITEM WILL BE ACTIVATED WITHIN 24 HOURS" on their receipt in-store for purchasing $200 Visa cards? I did yesterday and called in today as the card is still not working after more than 24 hours, but the rep said there is nothing they can do and I would have to go back to the store to have them activate the card.
Having this exact issue - anyone able to get this resolved?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Caesar Diamond
After being able to purchase a MO, split tender yesterday at WM no problem, today the first one went through, then the rest had an error saying "Debit not available" (I got the same error for the other 3 cards I tried to swipe also). Not sure if anybody has any input on that error.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lavidaesbella
After being able to purchase a MO, split tender yesterday at WM no problem, today the first one went through, then the rest had an error saying "Debit not available" (I got the same error for the other 3 cards I tried to swipe also). Not sure if anybody has any input on that error.
Check the balance from the website on the back of the card.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Caesar Diamond
Originally Posted by RedSun
Check the balance from the website on the back of the card.

Checked immediately after, has $200 across all four cards, and shows the activation by store.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:54 am

The CSR didn't do the split properly for the second MO, sabotage perhaps?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:07 am
Suspended

Unloaded 100 yesterday bet Wally and supermkts, not a single problem, then again I called up for each card and changed the pin so that its easier to cash them out. Did you call up and change the pin? I would assume (maybe wrongly) that if there was a problem with the card itself a person wouldnt beable to get as far as the option to change the pin
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:35 pm

10% off Happy Gift Cards, 11/18 - 11/24

one per transaction, but Staples never seems to enforce this.

10% off and 5% cashback is very good. But a reminder that all the info is exposed, so you run a risk of someone spending your card for you after you activate it, so buyer beware.

Last edited by Klemhuzzah; Nov 15, 2018 at 9:41 pm
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:23 pm

On Friday, a local Staples sold me ten $200 VGC's, no problem, no fees.

On Saturday, a different store told me that customers are limited to one gift card, period.

Go figure.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
On Friday, a local Staples sold me ten $200 VGC's, no problem, no fees.

On Saturday, a different store told me that customers are limited to one gift card, period.

Go figure.
Why should Staples sales clerks be any different than WM's? One day I can go into WM in the morning and get my usual $800 MO and that afternoon fail because an alternate clerk tells me I am structuring
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
10% off Happy Gift Cards, 11/18 - 11/24.
checked it out today. They only have $25 Happy cards.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
checked it out today. They only have $25 Happy cards.
May have to get a few of these to get two free cheesecakes at CF.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:01 am
soy

Programs: various
DoC is reporting $5 off $200VGC next week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.