Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Seems like we like data points here, so just wanted to say I went into my Walmart location and had no problem getting two back to back transactions for two $799.30 MO's using 4 swipes @ $200 today. Business as usual.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by JaytheBarber

I have been buying the GD backed gift card at wal-mart and head to the money center to cash it out for MO that I give to daycare.
Did you walk up to the MC while opening the VGC in front of them? They love that.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Superorb
Did you walk up to the MC while opening the VGC in front of them? They love that.
depends on your relationship with your wal mart.

mine is fine.

But it can take up to 15 minutes to have the money available so its not unheard of for it to not work and then all the sudden work.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:56 am

No, I'm very discrete about my business. But between the apathy of the money center employees and the constant line of about ten people, I don't think they would even notice if I did. Maybe your walmart is different.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: SWA A-List, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
No, I'm very discrete about my business. But between the apathy of the money center employees and the constant line of about ten people, I don't think they would even notice if I did. Maybe your walmart is different.
I appreciate your discreteness. I've seen some ridiculous MS practices at my go to WM and I'm sure my days of liquidating there are numbered because of the lack of discreteness from some people.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:11 am

I've seen people standing at the MC opening up VGC packages right at the counter and then leaving the mess for the employees to clean up. And people wonder why it dies at their store. I'm glad that's not you.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:17 am

I've seen people standing at the MC opening up VGC packages right at the counter and then leaving the mess for the employees to clean up. And people wonder why it dies at their store. I'm glad that's not you.
Sloppy and overly-abusive practices by others has always been and likely will always be a problem in the MS world.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I don't blame you for taking extra precautions but with USPS, GCM requires signature upon delivery for priority envelopes (I'm not sure of exact amount but it's $2K++ IINM). I pay $10.95 shipping for that extra service that minimizes the chance of package getting lost/stolen. I prefer to put them on hold for pick up at my PO on Saturdays since WM is nearby so I can drain them and do weekly shopping after.
How do you specifically put the GCM orders on hold for pickup at the PO? I know about vacation holds but you seem to be implying that you can just pick up the GCM ones at the PO.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Buying the MO just now at WM went great! Kind of a line but I'm ok with that. Need to make a stop before I go into the office. I noticed the GC stand at the entrance had GD cards. I picked up 2 and went to the check-out line with the shortest queue. The clerk said "Cash or Debit Only". I asked "Really?" She said "You can't buy a credit card with a credit card." I said "Nevermind" and left. dang
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by cajunguy
Buying the MO just now at WM went great! Kind of a line but I'm ok with that. Need to make a stop before I go into the office. I noticed the GC stand at the entrance had GD cards. I picked up 2 and went to the check-out line with the shortest queue. The clerk said "Cash or Debit Only". I asked "Really?" She said "You can't buy a credit card with a credit card." I said "Nevermind" and left. dang
if they don't care what you swipe, it should work with a cc.

it's hard coded to reject for other VGCs.
calwatch and cajunguy like this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by lumangoy
if they don't care what you swipe, it should work with a cc.

it's hard coded to reject for other VGCs.
I didn't even get a chance to swipe! I'll return and avoid her line next time.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by BenCali
I told the CSR that I wanted a money order for $1000 with 2 split payments of 500 each and said I would pay the 70 cents fee in cash. The CSR told me to swipe, the screen said 1000.70, I told her 500 on the first one, she said yeah, go ahead. I swiped, but the payment was declined. I felt there was something wrong, so I asked her to cancel the transactions and wrote down that I wanted 2 money orders for $498 each and this time I did the transactions one by one and it went through without issues.

Is it this CSR or am I doing this wrong? USPS was so easy with 4 swipes.
I bet the rep didn't type in $500 for the first swipe.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
How do you specifically put the GCM orders on hold for pickup at the PO? I know about vacation holds but you seem to be implying that you can just pick up the GCM ones at the PO.
soon as I get a txt from USPS on expected date of delivery, when the day comes, I check via IDD (informed delivery digest) of the time it/they arrived at my PO. I call the PO to inform them that I'm placing a hold on my package(s) that arrived that day per txt msg I received. They just ask for my home address and when I get there, just sign and go. Thereafter, I head straight to WM and/or grocery store to drain them.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
soon as I get a txt from USPS on expected date of delivery, when the day comes, I check via IDD (informed delivery digest) of the time it/they arrived at my PO. I call the PO to inform them that I'm placing a hold on my package(s) that arrived that day per txt msg I received. They just ask for my home address and when I get there, just sign and go. Thereafter, I head straight to WM and/or grocery store to drain them.
I use IDD so I can keep track of what is being delivered that day, but how do you sign up for text alerts your expected delivery date? With GCM they don't give you the tracking number. I must be missing something as I've been looking all over USPS to figure out how to setup the alerts (beyond the daily email)
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
I use IDD so I can keep track of what is being delivered that day, but how do you sign up for text alerts your expected delivery date? With GCM they don't give you the tracking number. I must be missing something as I've been looking all over USPS to figure out how to setup the alerts (beyond the daily email)
go to notification settings, and enter mobile number

Last edited by lumangoy; Nov 7, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.